Team Chemistry - BIG impact

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Team Chemistry - BIG impact

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 am

Well...if we're doing this... :)
Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:28 am
This is the same as any job I've ever had. When things are going well, everyone gets along. When they aren't, people start to have conflict. The only difference is that no job environment tolerates people who aren't pulling their own weight (i.e. slackers). Those people don't exist in sport. Lazy people don't get to be pro athletes.
Lazy is a relative word.
Corporate team models likely don't apply to sports well simply because of the selection bias that allows one to become a pro athlete.
There is selection bias in every profession. And "lazy" is tolerated to the degree that performance matters. There is a cost to replacing a "lazy" performer that can be measured in things like "recruiting time" and "social disruption." If you fire a lazy employee that is providing some value and is well-liked, you can cause problems in your work force. If you're getting 50% value from a team member and your choice is to keep them here or go six months without one, that changes the dynamic. If you can replace them immediately, you still have an onboarding period. A sports team has the same dynamic, but a different resource pool.
These guys are already all the same. Driven, hard working, type A, perfectionists. They've all spent decades in team environments learning how to co-exist with others like themselves.
I generally disagree with that. Show me proof. :)

Players are different, and players can change from year to year and month to month. In other words, they are human beings.
I mean, the very idea that a 18 year old kid who is going to go in the first round of the draft has poor work ethic is complete nonsense. That's not even possible. Lazy kids don't get picked in rd 1.
You use the term "lazy" a lot. That's fine, but it's not particularly precise. Kids are interviewed to death, and often are said to be personality concerns, but still go high. Can I get a Johnny Football, anyone? "Low Work Ethic" in OOTP speak could well be viewed as a relative term. "Low" relative to the pool of players who have passed the selection bias. We're not dealing with every kid in the world in OOTP after all. We're dealing only with kids who are considered draftable.
They probably don't get picked in rd 20. I could see the hypothetical genetic god who if he just worked harder could be better, but that's like maybe 1-2 % of players, tops. Professional athletes are more or less all the same personality type with rare exceptions. They've been groomed throughout their impressionable childhoods to be that way, and most of the ones that don't fit in, don't make it. It's an ultra competitive, be like everyone else, environment. Kids that don't fit in don't continue to strive to get better. They go play video games or look at pretty girls or boys or do drugs or whatever the cool kids do now.
As noted earlier, a player trait in OOTP will change on its own. We also have the ability to physically change it due to our house rules.

This is not far off the idea of hiring employees out of college (or drafting players). You know when you are hiring people that you are getting people who are not yet mature, but who are often highly competitive--and don't even try to tell me that the MBAs of the world don't know they are in a cutthroat world. Talk about driven, competitive people. When you're hiring them, though, you know that some are going to be "bad" for the team and some are not. The challenge is to try to get it right, and be able to adjust quickly when you get it wrong. A question that is often asked in this situation is whether the orgnazation can groom them properly--in other words, can we make sure their personality develops.

In the case of "work ethic" that's a question that is addressed in both background interviews and personal interviews. My belief is that this is no different in sport. Not every player can be the first into the gym and the last to leave, and players and coaches know who is putting in the work and who is not. "Practice? We talking about practice?"
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 am

The practice quote from AI is one of the most horribly misused quotes ever. He was incensed that he was being asked about practice when there were bad real game results and someone was bringing up practice culture shit they clearly didn't understand.

It has since been made out that he was lazy.

And yes Ron, poor work ethic = lazy. Or it doesn't. Whatever. Nitpicking the word doesn't change the idea.

We all know about Jonny Football because he is the exception. The idea that 30% of a draft class has "poor work ethic" is absurd. They all work hard. All of them. It's is literally impossible to be as good as they are without doing so. Is there some variation? Sure. But it's insignificant compared to what the "real" clubhouse factors are. Do some guys get rich and fat and lazy, sure. But again, super rare.

Every competitive job field is selective. So we should be talking about the people in it in terms of the ways they are similar, not in these broad societal strokes.

You mention those personality concerns. How often do those crop up later? Not often. just goes to show how inaccurate this stuff is.

I'm not saying work culture and personality doesn't matter, Ron. I'm saying that no one knows what the model for it in sports is with actual data, and the OOTP model is complete garbage and doesn't represent reality.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 am

Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am
Well, now I'm on fire. Thanks guys.

OOTP has internal ratings for "handle success" and "Handle failure". Are you shitting me? Repeat after me: NO ONE LIKES LOSING. Or playing poorly. Or whatever. That's just us regular folks. Now think of the kid you knew from high school who played college ball, or maybe a few of us know a kid who became a pro athlete. Remember how those guys were with losing? Or how they were when they couldn't get a part of their game just right? You know, the distaste for failure that drove them to spend hours perfecting their craft when everyone else was fucking around being a kid?
At the elite level of operation ... hmmm ... since I'm writing this at on the 19th, I can say that our current president probably scores very low on both "Handling Success" and "Handling Failure."

Disliking failure is different from handling it.

Michael Jordan disliked failure, but he handled it pretty damned well.
Oh, and handle success? You me winning all the time, like almost every kid that is a prospect does for years because they are so good or are in super programs? When they don't stop working on their game because they already have an inner drive so strong that they became one of the top .001 percent of humans at something in the first place?
I admit I'm interested in how OOTP reacts if a player doesn't handle success well. I can come up with several things that could be influenced.
This shit is just dumb. Lazy people who can't handle success or failure don't become pro athletes.
Again with that relative word. Lazy relative to what?

These OOTP players should be viewed as already having crossed the basic survival bias of the tournament selection game that sorts wheat from chaff.
But they ABSOLUTELY can handle it, or they wouldn't be where they are.
We're talking about high school players who are 18, right? Or college athletes who are so good they get drafted, right? I mean ... I just disagree with your statement. How many rookie quarterbacks who get drafted have ever REALLY failed? How many have REALLY hit a level that they couldn't succeed at?

It would be interesting to see how each personality profile influences movement through the minor league organization in that way. How much selection bias is inherent in that for us?
Roster

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:39 am

The Talons Chemistry has been top of scale at "Ecstatic" for months and we are barely over .500.

Discuss.
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am

Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am
I went to med school. I had a class of about 200. They told us the first day that it would get weird, because while we had all been the smartest ones among our peers before, most of us no longer would be. Some of us had "failed" at school before. Some hadn't. Obviously, none of us had failed much because we got into med school. The dumbest person med school is probably among the smartest 10% of humans. There's your elite genetic skill. The worst student in med school is among the top 5% of students. You don't get in if you ever had any real stretch of poor performance. There's your elite work ethic.

Every single one of us had success and failure in med school. We all handled it. 3 people didn't graduate. One got married and decided she didn't care enough. Another developed a drug problem. Only one academically couldn't hack it. Out of 200. Out of those that graduated, over 95% finish residency, working 80-100 hours a week as new doctors, literally being useless at our jobs and humiliated every day at the beginning, and then when we succeed, overworked because we were cheap labor. Why is the success rate so high? Because of the selection process that got us there and the grooming we received during the process. And we are a weird ass group of people. Doctors are weird humans. We aren't wired like everyone else for the things that matter for being doctors. And I can walk into any room full of doctors and fit in (something I can hardly do with any other group of people), because the process that got us there made us all the same in the ways that matter for working together. Not only that, but if you did a social experiment and put 100 doctors in a room, didn't tell any of them that they were with other doctors, and we were only allowed to talk about tomatoes, we'd all figure out we were doctors in about 10-15 minutes.

Pro athletes are the same, but even more exclusive. They got to where they are because of who they are and how they were raised. They aren't like you and me.

So when we try to label them with this silly personality type BS and say that they can handle success and handle failure and have poor work ethic or can't handle controversy or are "outspoken" or "disruptive", it's total bullshit. None of those people that are actually problems that way get there. There is the rare exception, but this shit just doesn't matter for the overwhelming majority of any group that has such a strict selection and development process.

The question regarding handling failure is what happens to human beings when they actually fail at the mission they care about. You say some had "failed at school," which is an interesting point here. What does that mean? Handling adversity is sometimes different from handling failure. Adversity is when progress becomes very hard for some reason. Failure is literally not making it to the next level. Failure is when you lose trying to do something you care about.

Given your example, I can say that engineers are just like doctors. Very competitive as they go up the ranks. insert the classic "look left, then look right, and only one of you is going to make it" conversation when you get Freshman orientation here. Get a group of engineers together and there will be an affinity due to that culture. But realize that when you are talking Medical school, you're equating Masters and PhD populations--which will almost all "succeed" at graduating. Even then there are different work ethics involved, and then the question of whether than can handle success of failure is still at question. What happens to them when they make a mistake and the airplane they designed crashes?

Seriously?

What happens after a doctor makes a real mistake and fails?

Will one bounce back differently from another?

What happens when one super-smart PhD or MBA gets a prime position and the other does not?

Again, these are relative things. Yes, they all handled difficulty at times of their lives. Yes, I have a hard time writing a "correct" algorithm to model it. But gradations in these things do exist--even in elite populations.
Roster

HerbD
Ex-GM

Post by HerbD » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 am

Dington wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:05 am
What does @HerbD win for getting @Ted going?
Don't pin it on me...I've barely said anything :plus1:
Montreal Blazers(BBA) 2044~2047(353-295, .545 W%)
2045 Wildcard(lost in one round)
2046 Atlantic Champs(lost in one round)

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 am

What about coaches? I've seen studies that say even the best coaches will only add 1-3 wins to a team a year. But bad ones, strategically as well as personality-wise, can certainly lose way more than 1-3 a year. Does OOTP account for those factors as well? Should I even bother looking at whether or not players get along with the coach?
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:51 am

Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 am
Ron, the problem is that OOTP is treating these guys like regular humans with a regular work environment interaction. Not just OOTP, but sports journalists as well. See my other post.
I disagree with this. These are relative things. Simply assume these "low" ratings are simply relative to those in the selected pool.
Also, your points about ballpark factors and dev curves is both hyperbole and not a valid comparison. In both of those cases, there is measurable data they are attempting to approximate with a model. Is OOTP perfect? No, but it makes sense to try.
I agree it makes sense to try. I like them.
In the case of chemistry and personality ratings, they have no data to model that exists in baseball. None. They are just making shit up, and doing it in a way that is childishly simple and doesn't really apply to the types of personalities that become pro athletes.
I disagree. I think models that work for all people work just fine. I agree the models are probably simplistic, though I find the word "childishly" to be inappropriate.

Lots people find them fun. Lots of people find they can squint and be fine with them.

I agree that they can and should be "improved" as deeply as possible, but the term "improved" really just means "made deeper."

If I had any one wish to be made true, though, it would really be that we as GMs were allowed to see them all rather than just a handful. That would be a lot more fun to me.
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 am

jiminyhopkins wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:39 am
The Talons Chemistry has been top of scale at "Ecstatic" for months and we are barely over .500.

Discuss.
LBC is Ecstatic despite a 6 loss week

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 am

GoldenOne wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 am
What about coaches? I've seen studies that say even the best coaches will only add 1-3 wins to a team a year. But bad ones, strategically as well as personality-wise, can certainly lose way more than 1-3 a year. Does OOTP account for those factors as well? Should I even bother looking at whether or not players get along with the coach?
I generally only worry about conflicts between the manager and my best players.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:07 pm

Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 am
The practice quote from AI is one of the most horribly misused quotes ever. He was incensed that he was being asked about practice when there were bad real game results and someone was bringing up practice culture shit they clearly didn't understand.

It has since been made out that he was lazy.

And yes Ron, poor work ethic = lazy. Or it doesn't. Whatever. Nitpicking the word doesn't change the idea.
I am a fan of AI, so on the whole, yes.

But no, for me, in this context, "poor work ethic" does not equate to "lazy." I'm sorry about that. But it does not.
We all know about Jonny Football because he is the exception. The idea that 30% of a draft class has "poor work ethic" is absurd. They all work hard. All of them. It's is literally impossible to be as good as they are without doing so. Is there some variation? Sure. But it's insignificant compared to what the "real" clubhouse factors are. Do some guys get rich and fat and lazy, sure. But again, super rare.
Again, everything is relative. Johnny Football's work ethic was good enough to win a Heisman Trophy. Relative to everyone in the world his was probably elite. Relative to the guys in the draft pool, it wasn't that great. He also was outspoken, and I'd say could not handle success particularly well. He was a poor leader, and pretty greedy (or at least selfish). In other words, I can argue that he failed not due to any particular one of these factors, but instead due to the overall collection.

I'm sure his work ethic--despite being "low"--was as good as several others in that draft class. There's every reason to suspect that these things are like Mandlebrot sets. Every collection of people can be expected to have a similar profile when the fractal is expanded or contracted.
I'm not saying work culture and personality doesn't matter, Ron. I'm saying that no one knows what the model for it in sports is with actual data, and the OOTP model is complete garbage and doesn't represent reality.
Just like park effects, nobody actually knows what the model is for any culture. There are a few general theories, and all of them work to predict behavior to a degree. But humans are weird things. I disagree that the OOTP model represents reality regarding personality any worse than it represents park factors (for the example we keep coming back to--I can probably literally list 100 things OOTP models in coarse fashions).

The question at hand is whether the model represents reality in a way one finds fun.

I agree it's ragged. But I also find it fun. Perhaps that is because I've spent so much time actually studying and using this stuff that I enjoy the aspect more than others, and that my personality finds it entertaining. I dunno.

If I wanted something determined completely by my brain I'd be playing chess. :)
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:14 pm

jiminyhopkins wrote:

Discuss.
Assuming this is true, this makes me happy. One thing I dislike about the team chemistry thing is that we can't see other teams.

This example, again if true, shows that the game isn't assessing culture completely on winning. Given the personality types we can see in the game, Phoenix is staffed with several good leaders and a coup0le captains. Only Dashielle Fairborne is "selfish," and he's playing full time and performing pretty well--though he's upset with that performance, which makes some sense.

The Phoenix manager and bench coaches also read like they'd be good at focusing on chemistry (though who can really tell).

It probably doesn't hurt that, while the team is not really winning, they are still in the hunt for a post-season slot. But, again, who knows?
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:16 pm

GoldenOne wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 am
I don't know. In those cases, I do what I find to be the most fun.
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:18 pm

jiminyhopkins wrote:

Discuss.
Two words: Cheap sushi

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Ron, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop comparing things like park effects that we have numerical data to model upon with personality and baseball team chemistry that we do not have any hard data for.

Doing so is at worst intellectually dishonest and at best shows a shocking lack of understanding on your part on what a good model is.

Either way it cheapens this discussion with distractions.

You have made a lot of good points, but the way you choose to hold on to completely invalid comparisons makes it hard to wade through your argument and overall makes it difficult tot take seriously.
Ted Schmidt

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:28 pm

For what it's worth, the only year the Phantoms/Black Sox didn't wind up with an "ecstatic" clubhouse was 2038, my first half season in the BBA, and we had disruptive Mutsuhito Imai on the roster with no captain to balance him out. In 2039 (14 games under .500) and 2040 (10 games under .500) the clubhouse chemistry was ecstatic by the end of the year. I'm not sure how much good it did, since those teams sucked regardless, but maybe it kept them from being even worse. Winning clearly isn't the only thing that drives chemistry, but I don't doubt it's the major driver.

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:19 pm
Ron, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop comparing things like park effects that we have numerical data to model upon with personality and baseball team chemistry that we do not have any hard data for.

Doing so is at worst intellectually dishonest and at best shows a shocking lack of understanding on your part on what a good model is.

Either way it cheapens this discussion with distractions.

You have made a lot of good points, but the way you choose to hold on to completely invalid comparisons makes it hard to wade through your argument and overall makes it difficult tot take seriously.
There are literally thousands of research papers that attempt to quantify various elements of team dynamics. As I recall, Bill James has done some half-handed attempts at quantifying them as to how they apply to wins and losses without really finding anything.

I have literally spent a large part of my professional career working in this field. I also have both academic and professional experience in the act of building models of complex systems. I have literally created models of cultures. I understand what I'm talking about. Or at least I have enough of an understanding to discuss the things you're bringing up with a analytical frame of reference that is valid.

I'm sorry that you feel I'm being intellectually dishonest, but I can't help that I suppose.

If one wants to model the baseball environment on the field, that model will be enhanced by modeling park effects--even if that model is "wrong." If one wants to model the baseball environment off the field, that model will be enhanced by modeling personalities--even if that model is "wrong." There is an equation there that is valid.
Roster

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:31 pm

So I think the best way to settle this is for Rockville to pick up Cruz and see what happens! You in?

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:32 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:28 pm
For what it's worth, the only year the Phantoms/Black Sox didn't wind up with an "ecstatic" clubhouse was 2038, my first half season in the BBA, and we had disruptive Mutsuhito Imai on the roster with no captain to balance him out. In 2039 (14 games under .500) and 2040 (10 games under .500) the clubhouse chemistry was ecstatic by the end of the year. I'm not sure how much good it did, since those teams sucked regardless, but maybe it kept them from being even worse. Winning clearly isn't the only thing that drives chemistry, but I don't doubt it's the major driver.
I would tweak the labels OOTP uses if I could. I admit I don't like "ecstatic" as a label for a culture (chemistry). The model could be made more robust, but Markus and Matt are really only two people. :)

The idea that you must win big to have a good clubhouse is obviously not complete.
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 pm

RonCo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am
Ted wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am
I went to med school. I had a class of about 200. They told us the first day that it would get weird, because while we had all been the smartest ones among our peers before, most of us no longer would be. Some of us had "failed" at school before. Some hadn't. Obviously, none of us had failed much because we got into med school. The dumbest person med school is probably among the smartest 10% of humans. There's your elite genetic skill. The worst student in med school is among the top 5% of students. You don't get in if you ever had any real stretch of poor performance. There's your elite work ethic.

Every single one of us had success and failure in med school. We all handled it. 3 people didn't graduate. One got married and decided she didn't care enough. Another developed a drug problem. Only one academically couldn't hack it. Out of 200. Out of those that graduated, over 95% finish residency, working 80-100 hours a week as new doctors, literally being useless at our jobs and humiliated every day at the beginning, and then when we succeed, overworked because we were cheap labor. Why is the success rate so high? Because of the selection process that got us there and the grooming we received during the process. And we are a weird ass group of people. Doctors are weird humans. We aren't wired like everyone else for the things that matter for being doctors. And I can walk into any room full of doctors and fit in (something I can hardly do with any other group of people), because the process that got us there made us all the same in the ways that matter for working together. Not only that, but if you did a social experiment and put 100 doctors in a room, didn't tell any of them that they were with other doctors, and we were only allowed to talk about tomatoes, we'd all figure out we were doctors in about 10-15 minutes.

Pro athletes are the same, but even more exclusive. They got to where they are because of who they are and how they were raised. They aren't like you and me.

So when we try to label them with this silly personality type BS and say that they can handle success and handle failure and have poor work ethic or can't handle controversy or are "outspoken" or "disruptive", it's total bullshit. None of those people that are actually problems that way get there. There is the rare exception, but this shit just doesn't matter for the overwhelming majority of any group that has such a strict selection and development process.

The question regarding handling failure is what happens to human beings when they actually fail at the mission they care about. You say some had "failed at school," which is an interesting point here. What does that mean? Handling adversity is sometimes different from handling failure. Adversity is when progress becomes very hard for some reason. Failure is literally not making it to the next level. Failure is when you lose trying to do something you care about.

Given your example, I can say that engineers are just like doctors. Very competitive as they go up the ranks. insert the classic "look left, then look right, and only one of you is going to make it" conversation when you get Freshman orientation here. Get a group of engineers together and there will be an affinity due to that culture. But realize that when you are talking Medical school, you're equating Masters and PhD populations--which will almost all "succeed" at graduating. Even then there are different work ethics involved, and then the question of whether than can handle success of failure is still at question. What happens to them when they make a mistake and the airplane they designed crashes?

Seriously?

What happens after a doctor makes a real mistake and fails?

Will one bounce back differently from another?

What happens when one super-smart PhD or MBA gets a prime position and the other does not?

Again, these are relative things. Yes, they all handled difficulty at times of their lives. Yes, I have a hard time writing a "correct" algorithm to model it. But gradations in these things do exist--even in elite populations.
You have no idea what you are talking about here. Engineers and doctors are nothing alike. Not even close. I've been both. I've worked with multiple engineers who went to medical school. We've talked about it. You are comparing apples and oranges. Engineers are trained through a variety of different schools, in different environments, over relatively short periods of time, and go on to have diverse careers in different environments.

Doctors are trained through a rigid, ten year monolithic curriculum. I'll tell you what happens when we fail. We injure or kill someone. After that, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US gets back to work. Some go home and drink. Some cry. Some yell at people. We all continue to function at more or less the same level afterwards. I know this, because we've all killed someone through failure. Every one of us. We can handle it because of the selection and training process.

To be clear, there is little to no variation among doctors in "handle failure" in terms of their future work output. The fact that some drink and some cry and some are mean to their kids is irrelevant to our future performance as physicians, and our ability to interact with the medical team in the overwhelming majority of cases. There just isn't that much variation. There cannot be, so it's not allowed. It's why the suicide rate is so high. Eventually people break.

That is what happens when you are part of an indoctrinating, monolithic culture. Same thing with military institutions like Army rangers, and Navy Seals. When you select and train in a such a rigid, consistent fashion, you get a similarity of personality or a culture where the difference in personality is irrelevant. My supposition is that IS the culture of pro sports. It's why sports and athletes are so resistant to change. It's why Dennis Rodman could be a "party animal" and be so effective through his career. He was selected by the process as someone who could achieve and work with a team. Did it not work at times, sure, be even he, one of the most egregious examples of a bad personality, was part of one of the most successful dynasties ever. Because while "bad personality" Dennis Rodman made headlines, those headlines ignored the fact that he was fit, ripped, and obviously a master of his craft which no one become with a metric shit ton of hard work.

You say I need to prove that these guys are not like you and I. I feel like you are asking me to prove that grass is green.

Comparing the competitive environment of pro sports in the US to something like engineering or business is absurd. There are 1.6 million engineers in the US. There are at most 100,000 pro athletes in the US. That's at least an order of magnitude of difference in the level of competition. There are perhaps 5000 people in the four major sports. That's at least 3 orders of magnitude of competition.

If you think someone who is 3 orders of magnitude more competitive than than a group of people who is 1.6 mil of some 200 million US adults have similar personality traits, you are nuts. We already know engineers are a little different that your run of the mill Joe. They have to be a little more neurotic, and have whatever traits make them better at school in the first place.

I've played basketball with maybe 20-25 guys that have the physical tools to be in the NBA during my life on a semi regular basis. I've never met a single NBA player. So why aren't they in? Because they aren't the same people. Sure some was circumstance, but that circumstance lead to personel development that put them on the track to make it. These aren't the same people as you or I. I don't know how you could think they are.
Last edited by Ted on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ted Schmidt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”