Schmidt Resigns

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
Ted
Ex-GM

Schmidt Resigns

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Gentlemen,

It's been a blast. But it's time for me to go. I'm not having enough fun anymore. Frankly, I hate OOTP. Or the way our league settings interact with it. I don't know which. I think it's OOTP. I frankly can't find any reasons to play a version after 16. The game is increasingly opaque. The manual is useless. I have no idea why the things that happen are happening. There has hardly been a new feature worth caring about. The outcomes are getting much more random.

I am at heart a strategy gamer. I like to test my theories against others and see who wins. I do not care for slot machines. I do not like to try to "Beat the random number generator". Now, the reality is that sport team success is probably a LOT more influenced by randomness in real life, than we like to think it is. It's more fun to think people pulling the strings caused an outcome. In a lot of ways, OOTP is modelling that randomness better in recent versions. However, for me, that is not fun.

The last few offseasons have been very frustrating for me. This is the third in four (last year was somehow normal and functional) offseasons where half or more of the top FA's are both unsigned in FA AND still asking for unreasonable amounts by the standards of only 10 seasons ago. The problem is that this same issue is also going on with player extensions as well.

I am currently riding a wave of pitching talent that I should have started to replace 2-3 seasons ago. However, since version 19, OOTP has ruined 8 pitching prospects rated 55 or better in my farm with injuries. I am at something like an 80% attrition rate for pitching prospects (excluding last seasons draft crop. Only two of those 8 have gotten hurt so far, so they'll likely all bomb out too.). Fortunately, some of my older guys like Luis Gracia and Cisco Morales have maintained their ability well. Now, I will be likely be forced to deal Gracia. He was asking for almost 26 mil per year for ages 35-40, which is insane. Now, he won't talk to me. I will also have to deal 26 year old top end starter Miguel Ramos (who is loyal with low greed), because he is asking for 26 mil x 6 years, which is top 10 player in the league money in my mind, and he is not that. I will not be able to get appropriate value for him, because I will trade him as a rental, as I don't expect any other team to want to pay that extension either. This has been the last straw.

Meanwhile, some teams have seen their players drop their demands by 40% as Spring Training has started. I'm not trying to cry that it's not fair.
Or say this isn't "realistic". That's not the issue. Many of you have also had really bad luck. For me, between my bad negotiation luck and injuries, my pitching pipeline has essentially dried up, despite taking probably 70 percent pitchers in drafts. I could work with this. I could make trades and hang around 83-85 wins for a couple years and probably get right back on top. I just don't want to. It's more frustrating than fun now.

I don't see the point. The influence of luck and randomness is more than I care for. There is too much "slot machine" and not enough strategy in OOTP now. In my mind, as a strategy game, OOTP is now fundamentally broken. When the player demand model is so capricious and nonsensical, strategy becomes secondary to luck. Again, I'm not arguing that it's not realistic. I don't think it is. The competitive teams are currently operating with 2/3rds of their players on min contracts or in early arbitration, because player demands have been so high and variable the costs of operating any other way are incompatible with fielding enough good players to have a competitive roster. That doesn't seem right. But realism or not, the game is no longer one where strategy outweighs luck to the extent that I'm comfortable with. As I said, I don't play slot machines.

So goodbye for now at least, and thank you all for the fun times.

Ted
Last edited by Ted on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Schmidt Resigns

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 pm

To explain further how broken the financial system is. California has ONE player under contract making 11 million in 2040, and one player making 12. We have two other player making more than 5 mil. We can't afford to extend our top two pitchers. Our four highest contracts for 2040 total 37 million, and the payer demands were so high we couldn't afford to extend our own players. And now one of them won't talk to me. That's called a broken financial system.
Ted Schmidt

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm sorry to see you go. I personally love this league and never ever want to leave but I will say that if player demands continuously rise then so should the salary cap. That's why I mentioned the salary cap issues in the thread below a few months ago but was shot down quickly.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27507&p=155540&hil ... ap#p155540
Last edited by niles08 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm

niles08 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:09 pm
I'm sorry to see you go. I personally love this league and never ever want to leave but I will say that if player demands continuously rise then so should the salary cap. That's why I mentioned the salary cap issues a few months ago but was shot down quickly.
I've thought about this more. That could be a solution. The problem is we have no idea if it would work. Would player demands just go up more? Are player demands related to available money? Who knows? OOTP sure as heck wont' tell us how anything works.
Ted Schmidt

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Sorry to hear that Ted! Was it Randy's player's face getting beaten in my a little league Mom?

The Goats will pay you top (fake) dollars to come on as a Consultant!!
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Ted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm
niles08 wrote:
I'm sorry to see you go. I personally love this league and never ever want to leave but I will say that if player demands continuously rise then so should the salary cap. That's why I mentioned the salary cap issues a few months ago but was shot down quickly.
I've thought about this more. That could be a solution. The problem is we have no idea if it would work. Would player demands just go up more? Are player demands related to available money? Who knows? OOTP sure as heck wont' tell us how anything works.
I had the same questions on the other thread. Upping the cap theoretically makes more money available to spend around the league. Let's say we add $10M to the salary cap. Based on the current budgets, 20 teams have a budget of $120M so they can spend to the cap. I know other teams probably can if they have cash, but lets use the 20. That would add $200M in spendable money. That has to have an impact.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:33 pm

bcslouck wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:31 pm
Ted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm
niles08 wrote:
I had the same questions on the other thread. Upping the cap theoretically makes more money available to spend around the league. Let's say we add $10M to the salary cap. Based on the current budgets, 20 teams have a budget of $120M so they can spend to the cap. I know other teams probably can if they have cash, but lets use the 20. That would add $200M in spendable money. That has to have an impact.
Who knows? This should all be in the manual. It's critical information. But play perfect team everyone.
Ted Schmidt

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Sorry to see you go Ted, I’ve enjoyed your informative posts. If you know how to succeed but the game chooses luck it must be frustrating. Me? I’m probably clueless on how to win so I appreciate a bit of luck, but trouble is all the luck I ever get is bad.
I’ll still keep coming back though to see how the knowledgeable win lol, hope we see you back soon
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:44 pm

$10M to the cap makes sense, but do demands then go up from there? Do demands go up and stay there? Are demands driven by what teams are paying. I know some demands of the "lesser" FAs has come down after they only got an offer from me after each sim. Will it create a bigger divide between the Haves and Have Nots?
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Fat Nige wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:42 pm
Sorry to see you go Ted, I’ve enjoyed your informative posts. If you know how to succeed but the game chooses luck it must be frustrating. Me? I’m probably clueless on how to win so I appreciate a bit of luck, but trouble is all the luck I ever get is bad.
I’ll still keep coming back though to see how the knowledgeable win lol, hope we see you back soon
Nigel,

I think the fact that luck plays such a huge role is what makes it so hard to get better. How do you know which of your strategies was good or bad when luck plays as big of a role in the outcome as it does? This is why I no longer like OOTP. IF you can't tell why something happened, how do you know if you made the right choice?
Ted Schmidt

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:46 pm

And thank you to the people who have reached out to me with kind words. I have enjoyed you all too. I may decide to do some analysis stuff here and there, but the headaches of running a team make this no fun for me.
Ted Schmidt

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Ted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:46 pm
And thank you to the people who have reached out to me with kind words. I have enjoyed you all too. I may decide to do some analysis stuff here and there, but the headaches of running a team make this no fun for me.
Sorry to see you go. You're an amazing contributor to the league. I'm hoping that an extended break will be what you need to come back energized.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Ted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:45 pm
Fat Nige wrote:
Nigel,

I think the fact that luck plays such a huge role is what makes it so hard to get better. How do you know which of your strategies was good or bad when luck plays as big of a role in the outcome as it does? This is why I no longer like OOTP. IF you can't tell why something happened, how do you know if you made the right choice?
My strategies are all based on luck lol, I have no grounding in baseball strategy/management. I didn’t grow up with baseball so I have now idea what works and what doesn’t. I just like number crunching, but I don’t know what numbers are better where really.

My lack of success depresses me and often causes me to quit the BBA and other leagues but when I do leave there is a void in my life. I’ve been bouncing back to the BBA in real life since 2010 and I must thank Matt for being so understanding with me. He could have dispensed with me years ago, I offer precious little to the league but I’m just one of those organisational 20/20 foot soldiers that toil away in the depths.

Every BBA team needs a ‘fat Nige’ to hold up the show ( and most have had one lol)
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

StormZ_23
Ex-GM

Post by StormZ_23 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 pm

It's a shame to see you go, Ted. I have only been in the league for a few seasons, but I can see you have contributed so much to this league. This game can be frustrating sometimes, so hopefully time away from the game is good for you.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Sorry to see you go, Ted.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Fat Nige wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:08 pm
Ted wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:45 pm
Fat Nige wrote:
Nigel,

My strategies are all based on luck lol, I have no grounding in baseball strategy/management. I didn’t grow up with baseball so I have now idea what works and what doesn’t. I just like number crunching, but I don’t know what numbers are better where really.

My lack of success depresses me and often causes me to quit the BBA and other leagues but when I do leave there is a void in my life. I’ve been bouncing back to the BBA in real life since 2010 and I must thank Matt for being so understanding with me. He could have dispensed with me years ago, I offer precious little to the league but I’m just one of those organisational 20/20 foot soldiers that toil away in the depths.

Every BBA team needs a ‘fat Nige’ to hold up the show ( and most have had one lol)
Those 20/20 foot soldiers are what makes leagues like this work. I've had fun with you being here.
Ted Schmidt

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 pm

If you hate OOTP and not having fun it’s probably best for all. Hopefully you can develop a game that’s better I will buy a copy. Good luck!

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Ted it has been fun playing, agreeing and disagreeing with you. But if its not fun, then it is time to take a break. Then when you get an itch again, come on back.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:36 pm

I agree with Kevin. This game can consume your sanity and become a chore. Take a break and hopefully you'll be back. I plan on doing the same in a few season. If this is farewell, then it has been a pleasure.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:51 pm

You should make this a team news and get the two points.
GM, 2051 and 2053 JL 4TH WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2056)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”