Draftee Signing Timing/Weirdness

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
Ted
Ex-GM

Draftee Signing Timing/Weirdness

Post by Ted » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 am

So, Randy and Brett's trade(s) involving Zeitler and prospects have me wondering. For reference, they agreed to trade a recently drafted prospect who hadn't signed as part of the deal. So they waited for him to sign. And waited. And waited. And finally one of them said, "Can we just do this now and move the other guy later?" Our commish was asked if this violated any rules, and was there were told it doesn't as long as the second deal is understood to not be binding at this point. That does seem to be the correct interpretation of the rules. I'm not here to debate that. Please do not do so here.

What I am asking is, why does the game work like this? If you meet/exceed a players demand, do the EVER not sign? Let's ignore the impossible guys. For everyone else, I've never not signed a player if I decided I wanted to. I do admit that if the player asks for less than the slot value, I often offer the slot. I also often tack on 100k or so to guys that ask for exactly the slot, to hedge my bets. I don't even think I need to do that. They all sign.

Usually, half show up in the sim after "negotiation" is open. The next 40%t the next week. And there's always one guy (usually an earlier pick) that just waits FOREVER. But he always signs. Never once has he not. So what is the game doing? There is no negotiation process. It's a single offer. A computer cannot be "considering". Algorithms do not work that way. It's a yes or no decision.

So what is actually going on? Does it just randomly set a "sign after X days" timer to "simulate" that picks sign at different times in real life?

It's odd and obnoxious (given that I've had guys miss half the rookie ball season). Does anyone else have any other experiences?
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Draftee Signing Timing/Weirdness

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:17 am

Because it does. Specific questions about how the game works can be addressed here:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/f ... php?f=3956

You can also join the beta team next year like I asked you to this season.

Love you Ted! :)

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 am

First, the rule interpretation sucks...wait...what...oh, I just said that cause Ted said not to...so sorry...

Second, and this time is for serious....I have offered more than they have asked for and had them still get mad and not negotiate with me...it's silly and the draftee signing thing doesn't work the way it is supposed to. Nevertheless, OOTP humans/GM's seem to think it's a neat process. I think in on-line leagues drafted players should just go right to the team that drafted them and then we move on...but NOOOOOO...we can't do that, that would make things too simple and people could not intentionally draft a player with no intention of signing them and thus interjecting themselves into a slot they don't belong next season as compensation for something they no intention of doing...but I have no opinion on that so I will just say this: I tend to offer every player I draft more than they ask for and if they are going to be difficult, I offer them even more...unless I intentionally drafted them with no intention of signing them and thus inserting my pick right in the way of somebody else's pick the following season for my intentional manipulation of the draft process...but, again, I would never do that.

Jeff

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 am

recte44 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:17 am
Because it does. Specific questions about how the game works can be addressed here:

I appreciate the invite. Just didn't have time to make any reasonable contributions this year. The question I had is actually more of a question of whether anyone else is seeing anything different happen, or if they knew something about why it is this way. Not to say this is a egregious travesty and must be fixed asap. I know I complain a lot, so it's easy to see everything in that light. But really, this time I'm just curious.
Ted Schmidt

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm sorry, but that's the way the game works. I can't change it other than to constantly annoy the OOTP guys, which I do annually on hundreds of issues. Probably carries more weight if it comes from multiple people via the OOTP Forums.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Ted wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 am
recte44 wrote:

I appreciate the invite. Just didn't have time to make any reasonable contributions this year. The question I had is actually more of a question of whether anyone else is seeing anything different happen, or if they knew something about why it is this way. Not to say this is a egregious travesty and must be fixed asap. I know I complain a lot, so it's easy to see everything in that light. But really, this time I'm just curious.
Beta testing is really not an annual thing. We constantly bring issues...which probably annoys Matt and Markus at times. Betas also use the forum to ask each other these kinds of questions all the time--though it's not done in "complain mode" so much as to help provide real understanding.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm

RonCo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 pm
Ted wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 am
recte44 wrote:

Beta testing is really not an annual thing. We constantly bring issues...which probably annoys Matt and Markus at times. Betas also use the forum to ask each other these kinds of questions all the time--though it's not done in "complain mode" so much as to help provide real understanding.
Ah. It came up around the time the new version came out, so I figured it was more tied to the game launch cycle in terms of activity. Maybe I'll look into it again.
Ted Schmidt

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 pm

It gets very active in the months prior to the launch... bit honestly, most of the things I care about are more complicated than the fancy features, so I do most of my impact work in the summer and fall.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”