Public Apology To Justin and Ed

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
Ted
Ex-GM

Public Apology To Justin and Ed

Post by Ted » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:46 pm

So, regarding the recent trade you guys made, I don't like it. I also am not always right. My perception is that there are a number of people in this league who try to get the very best deal they can, and don't give two shits about the fairness to the other team. In reality, most trades that any of us see in that light are probably more about differences in player evaluation than some cruel attempt to beat up another GM. Furthermore, if a GM wants to take another one to the woodshed, who am I to decide that's not morally okay.

More to the point, deciding that I know what another person is thinking or doing is wrong. I often start out mildly critical or curious about something, and then become overly critical when I am disagreed with. This is wrong of me. Even if I truly think something is bad, I don't think bickering about it in public is of any real value or the right way to handle it. I apologize to Justin for being an ass. Sorry to Ed for dragging him into this by association.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: Public Apology To Justin and Ed

Post by agrudez » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Delete this, you did nothing wrong. And every word you said was correct.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:59 pm

agrudez wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:55 pm
Delete this, you did nothing wrong. And every word you said was correct.
Whether or not I'm correct has little to do with whether or not the method I used to express my discontent were appropriate. Going after someone's character is not something I feel like I should be doing publicly without a mountain of evidence that is available to everyone. Also, I have established a pattern of firing off like a loose cannon at people. I'm going to keep apologizing publicly for it until I stop doing it.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:01 pm

These kinds of trades are detrimental to the health of the league. You did the MBBA a sincere service today by trying to curb this type of behavior with public pressure (the only medium we have available to us to exercise).
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:27 pm

And I want to say that I agree with Kyle and I want to say it publicly so that he is nauseated by it!

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:31 pm

You're not so bad, Bum. Actually way more even tempered now than the TMBU (or however it was spelled), believe it or not. Personal growth is important. That's why I've voluntarily devolved into just saying one line jokes on the forums.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:32 pm

What's not to like? I try to be #1 on some list...any list...

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Being a #1 is less messy than being a #2... generally speaking.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:46 pm
So, regarding the recent trade you guys made, I don't like it. I also am not always right. My perception is that there are a number of people in this league who try to get the very best deal they can, and don't give two shits about the fairness to the other team. In reality, most trades that any of us see in that light are probably more about differences in player evaluation than some cruel attempt to beat up another GM. Furthermore, if a GM wants to take another one to the woodshed, who am I to decide that's not morally okay.

More to the point, deciding that I know what another person is thinking or doing is wrong. I often start out mildly critical or curious about something, and then become overly critical when I am disagreed with. This is wrong of me. Even if I truly think something is bad, I don't think bickering about it in public is of any real value or the right way to handle it. I apologize to Justin for being an ass. Sorry to Ed for dragging him into this by association.
Thanks Ted. A public apology certainly wasn't necessary and I am glad reached out to you and we seem to have settled things privately. As I said in my PM, I have the upmost envy for your reign of 13 playoff appearances in 15 years and I analyze everyone of your moves because I try to duplicate them to the best of my ability because you have a stable team.

As I also mentioned, for those who think the trade was unfair, I literally was about to pull the plug on the entire deal because I honestly felt I was giving up to much. You may chuckle or become even more irate at that, but the way we all value and evaluate players is different which is probably what makes this so much fun.

I was actually happy to see some uproar because my stomach hurt after I accepted the deal and posted it thinking I had given up to much. The uproar made me feel a bit better despite in my head still feeling like I maybe reached.

Anyways...long story short. Thanks Ted for the apology and the conversation privately and obviously no hard feelings. It's a game and sometimes we get worked up because we value things differently and it makes me happy to see such emotion tied into this league.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 am

I respectfully agree with Ted and disagree with Kyle. It's getting to the point that if I'm Ed, I'm afraid to make a trade at all because I'll get blasted for it on the forums.

Once again I'll refer everyone to what I believe is the single most important part of the BBA Constitution:
Off Topic
The BBA Forums are the gathering place where our members enjoy the experience of running a baseball franchise within a community of OOTP fans. Our GMs are competitive but also helpful. They are friendly but not without faults. We don’t always have the same opinion or viewpoint. Debates and disagreements are a part of life, and the Brewster Baseball Association is not different. However, members are expected to be courteous and respectful of others, and always treat others with the proper dignity no matter what disagreements may be involved.

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 pm

I absolutely agree as well... Well said Ted. I really appreciate your feedback and contributions to the league.

Discussing the merits of a trade is one thing. And it's completely acceptable to voice an opinions why a trade is bad or not. In fact, I love it because I'm still awful at trading and have been reluctant to do it for fear of screwing up the team (even more than I currently am).

However, going after people's character is a quick way to lose GM's. And it's cope out. While I agree it might have been a questionable trade, I absolutely hated the personal nature the discussion took.

All of us are competitive and want to do everything we can to win. I honestly believe Justin thought the trade was fair and beneficial to his team and the there was no ill intent involved.

Objectively reviewing a trade as an objective 3rd party is much easier than when you're personally invested.

That all being said, my best advice to Ed is...

The best trades are often the ones you don't make. Des Moines was(is?) loaded with young talent. Just need to let them develop and let the team come into it's own.

Yes, I could have probably made a few trades and avoided the position TWC is currently in... but I couldn't predict the lumping from the veterans I signed to extensions. It's all a learning process. However, I feel the team has a decent run over the last 5 or 6 seasons. I've had countless offers to trade away the key players for prospects... and who knows how the team would have performed if I had traded those players away when they were young.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Kick me out of the league then, because I'm not going to stop calling a spade a spade.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

recte44

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm

You can do whatever you want, you can analyze a trade however you want. The personal attacks cross the line.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:57 pm

That's the spade, though.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 pm

I remember the first time I got kicked out of a league! hahahaa...ah the good 'ole days... :D

recte44

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:11 pm

The last two times this has been an issue it has involved the same GM in both deals. So if I'm Ed, I'm wondering if what you're actually trying to say is that I don't belong in the league; but no one will directly come right out and say it.

See the perspective?

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:26 pm

I see you trying to whitewash a headache.

You've hinted at it already, but just do me a solid and say it out loud so I can move on. Public civility on the forums is more important to you than us treating each other with respect in our actions.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm

agrudez wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:26 pm
I see you trying to whitewash a headache.

You've hinted at it already, but just do me a solid and say it out loud so I can move on. Public civility on the forums is more important to you than us treating each other with respect in our actions.
lol... Are You saying those two concepts are mutually exclusive?
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:54 pm

Spiccoli wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm
lol... Are You saying those two concepts are mutually exclusive?
I don't know, you'd have to ask them.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

recte44

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Semantics.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”