2038, Sim #9 Chatter

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2038, Sim #9 Chatter

Post by recte44 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:06 pm

GoldenOne wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 am
I'm on the road for the week starting tomorrow visiting colleges and my mother with the family. I wont miss a sim but just out of curiosity, will the draftee signing period start after Sunday's sim? Just trying to prepare myself mentally for the busy week.
It’ll be after the ammy playoffs end, either this next sim or the one after

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Spiccoli wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm
So I released 2B Man after exporting... just to see what it would do to the team and clubhouse... sigh

So bummed to see him crash like this at 28 years old. Is this a common thing to see players lump that young?
My guess is that we'll see it more often than we have in the past. But that's part of the price we pay for super-young super stars.

Right now the league has 14 players who are 21 years old and are 70-80 POT. Another eleven who are 60-65 POT. All total we have 67 players who are 21 our younger. That's about 2.5 teams worth of our 30...or about 8% of our population of players.

For reference, we have 162 players who are 31+ years old in the league, 8 with 70 POT. 19 who are 60-65 POT.

-----
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:55 pm

My own example of this is Lucas McNeil, who at 30 went from superstar to solid, and at 31 went from solid to likely a platoon player. We'll see if he can hang in there to make the vesting part of his deal. I'd guess not. But we'll take what we can get. :)

That said, as real teams are beginning to understand, and as is the cause of all these cold Free Agency seasons, real baseball players often fall quickly, too. Just maybe not quite so precipitously as we see here and in some other OOTP leagues. Managing these environments is sometimes tricky...so mostly I try to remember to have fun. :cool:
Roster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 pm

RonCo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:55 pm
My own example of this is Lucas McNeil, who at 30 went from superstar to solid, and at 31 went from solid to likely a platoon player. We'll see if he can hang in there to make the vesting part of his deal. I'd guess not. But we'll take what we can get. :)

That said, as real teams are beginning to understand, and as is the cause of all these cold Free Agency seasons, real baseball players often fall quickly, too. Just maybe not quite so precipitously as we see here and in some other OOTP leagues. Managing these environments is sometimes tricky...so mostly I try to remember to have fun. :cool:
I would say that if real life players had accurate attribute ratings like OOTP, you'd see some different decisions being made. Still, I think guys can hang on longer than many think, even with ratings drops (likely because they are at the top end of those, now lower ratings). Just look at Felipe Baez. In a vacuum, I don't think any contender would be trotting out a 7/6/5 righty who's listed as an Emergency SP. But he's put up a solid 4.04 FIP and his K- and BB-rates are pretty much what they were three-four years ago when his ratings made him look like he should be putting up solid #2 numbers. He's walking that cliff-edge and will soon fall off (maybe even this year still), but for now he is still playing like he was before.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:01 pm

udlb58 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 pm
I would say that if real life players had accurate attribute ratings like OOTP, you'd see some different decisions being made. Still, I think guys can hang on longer than many think, even with ratings drops (likely because they are at the top end of those, now lower ratings). Just look at Felipe Baez. In a vacuum, I don't think any contender would be trotting out a 7/6/5 righty who's listed as an Emergency SP. But he's put up a solid 4.04 FIP and his K- and BB-rates are pretty much what they were three-four years ago when his ratings made him look like he should be putting up solid #2 numbers. He's walking that cliff-edge and will soon fall off (maybe even this year still), but for now he is still playing like he was before.
^^^^ This 100%.

I still think the absolute most "fun" way to play the game is effectively "stats only." There are several things about it that aren't quite realistic, but assuming you can squint your eyes enough, since you're not seeing anything under the hood, a lot of the process of managing your organizations in SO leagues actually feel better.
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”