2038, Sim #6 Chatter

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Re: 2038, Sim #6 Chatter

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 am

bschr682 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 am

If this is gonna be acceptable then 1. There will be no UMEBA only gms as it would be impossible to compete with BBA temp guys who can pull this off
?? - Not sure what you mean here. As a UMEBA GM, you can see the the same players on BBA Waivers as I do. There's a separate log in for Cairo than Twin Cities. It's not like the FPL, where I'm using the same GM and just changing the team.

However, I fully understand how a UMEBA only GM wouldn't even think to try this out. I was in my TWC profile looking at waivers before closing out, then I switched to the UMEBA GM, but it kept the same waiver screen. So I tried claiming him and it let me... Looking back, I probably should have emailed Matt to ask about it, but I literally did it at the last moment before the deadline and I was busy at work all day yesterday. I had forgot about it until I got the notification that the sim had been completed.

Since that time, I've thought a lot about it and possible unintended consequences of UMEBA being able to put claims in BBA players.

1 - Pena's $9 Million Salary would almost be a 25% of a UMEBA Salary Cap. The equivalent BBA salary would be around $25 Million. UMEBA Teams would only be able to sign one, maybe two players at that salary range before running into long term salary cap issues.
2- Yes, in the early going, ALOT of BBA players on waivers would get claimed by UMEBA teams... until they fill out their salary cap. Is this a good thing for the BBA? A lot of GM's have talked about ratings bloat. Also, there's only 8 UMEBA teams... So maybe the impact to the BBA would eventually be minimal in the long run, after the short term impact runs out.
3 - It'll be risky for UMEBA team claiming bad BBA contract players... a lot of those guys are lumping. They are on waivers for a reason.
4 - A lot of those players will run back to the BBA once their contract expire... at least I think so.

Finally,
5 - If this indeed is allowed (and I'm fine either way)... It would be fair to let Pena go back to Montreal and let all the UMEBA teams get a shot at claiming Pena. Cairo probably wouldn't get him due to the team's record.

Anyway, it seems a lot more discussion on this should be required. It's a fun topic to think about the possible ramifications to the league. It would make for an interesting game dynamic.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:49 am

My point about UMEBA only gms not being able to do this is mostly an assumption that the game let your claim through because your gm profile is active in both leagues. Mine is not so I’m assuming I’ll get some sort of message saying it’s an invalid waiver claim.

Could be wrong and am at work so I can’t check at the moment.

I would not find this an interesting mechanic in the slightest. However, as you have pointed out, there will be interesting ways the leagues can interact. There are some that are in the planning stages but they aren’t rolled out yet. They will come in time.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 am

bschr682 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:49 am
My point about UMEBA only gms not being able to do this is mostly an assumption that the game let your claim through because your gm profile is active in both leagues. Mine is not so I’m assuming I’ll get some sort of message saying it’s an invalid waiver claim.

Could be wrong and am at work so I can’t check at the moment.

I would not find this an interesting mechanic in the slightest. However, as you have pointed out, there will be interesting ways the leagues can interact. There are some that are in the planning stages but they aren’t rolled out yet. They will come in time.
No, my main (TWC) profile is NOT active in both leagues. I have a separate log in (League Control) for Cairo.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Well that’s even worse I spose.
GM Vancouver Mounties

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:55 pm

I would think the UMEBA clubs would be fighting over a guy like Pena. There is a little less than 400 million dollars to spread across the UMEBA and less than 20 guys in the whole league actually make more than 1 mill per season. How else are you going to spend that money? Isn't the goal the same across both leagues acquire talent that makes your team better? To say if I released Pena and he wouldn't sign in the UMEBA not fair either. Beirut recently signed Padilla after being released by Omaha making 7 mill per season. Cash is a valuable thing and the UMEBA finally has some of that and getting guys like and similar to Pena makes the league better and sells tickets.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Reason and argue all you want til you are blue in the face, you will find that guy back on your team next sim.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 pm
Well that’s even worse I spose.
The understatement here makes me laugh. "Oh shit. So you're saying it's really broken."
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:42 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:49 pm
Reason and argue all you want til you are blue in the face, you will find that guy back on your team next sim.
Yeah I think he’s gotta go back. Pretty easy call.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm

If he is forced back my question is can I trade him? In the podcast it was revealed trading was allowed. If we open that up then I would imagine there would be a mad dash to unload deals to the UEMBA and the huge amounts of money in that league.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 pm

handaspencer wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm
If he is forced back my question is can I trade him? In the podcast it was revealed trading was allowed. If we open that up then I would imagine there would be a mad dash to unload deals to the UEMBA and the huge amounts of money in that league.
To the UEMBA? I wouldn't think so. I didn't listen to the podcast revealing that apparently, but that'd be wild. If we are going back to the old draft system (Rule 6), I would think you can't have trading between the two entities.

Unless I'm wrong about the above and misreading his current value, I doubt he's very tradeable unless her really rebounds or you trade assets with him. If you decide to do the latter, step into my office.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:36 pm

bcslouck wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 pm
handaspencer wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:09 pm
To the UEMBA? I wouldn't think so. I didn't listen to the podcast revealing that apparently, but that'd be wild. If we are going back to the old draft system (Rule 6), I would think you can't have trading between the two entities.

Unless I'm wrong about the above and misreading his current value, I doubt he's very tradeable unless her really rebounds or you trade assets with him. If you decide to do the latter, step into my office.
I never attach assets to deals unless I try the waivers route first. I was hoping with his age and being a SP someone might take a chance. He just don’t fit my plan next few years.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:46 pm

That's fine. I'm just telling you what I think will have to be done. HIs best year was last year and that was mid rotation. It's probably worth $9M a year. That is, if he has his best year for the next 5 years basically.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”