OOTP Survey

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

OOTP Survey

Post by Lane » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OOTP2019Survey

OOTP is conducting a survey, with a chance to win one of 5 copies of OOTP20.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Re: OOTP Survey

Post by Spiccoli » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 am

Off the top of my head, I asked for the following in the comments section.

- Coaches
What are they actually doing except making players happy (or pissed)
How to evaluate their performance outside of Wins/Losses.

I'm still lost when it comes to coaches in the BBA. I figure if the locker room isn't completely rioting and the team is around .500 or better, I guess they're doing ok... lol.

It would be great if there was more interaction between the Coaches and the GM. Not sure how, maybe recommending players they think they need. Or giving you feedback that the Batting Coach isn't cutting it. Maybe getting upset if you cut certain players or sign certain players. Or hearing about fans who are starting to blame the coach and want him gone... even effecting fan interest. Or signing a "Popular" Coach to increase fan interest.

Just some kind of feedback or interaction to let you know how they are doing.

Who knows. Right now, it just seems like some busy work to complete between seasons and then forget about them.

- Bullpen Management
There needs to be some updating here. I still don't completely understand how the game picks some pitchers in some situations. Like putting in a long relief (avoid high leverage) guy in late in a close game. If I try to use standard approaches (Long - Middle - Setup - Closer), there can be a set up guy who may see no action for weeks while one middle relief gets put in almost everyday.

It's so much fun playing with the batting lineups and Subs, but the Pitching Roster is a crap shoot. I finally gave up and copied California's (Ted) approach and put everyone in middle relief... Can't argue with his results and it seems to be working for Twin Cities lately.

But I'm not happy about it... lol.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 am

One more thing....

It would be great to be able to simulate (for practice) several games to try out new ideas, like juggling the Bullpen and/or changing Game Strategy.

I guess the only way now would be to somehow copy the league as close as possible, then experiment? Seems like to much of a hassle for the benefits.

When I played Front Page Sports 95' online, after making roster moves and sending in, I could manually simulate as many games as I wanted with the save file. I could actually play a season completely through just for fun to see what would happen. Then overwrite everything with the updated save file.

It was nice to see how the manager/players would react to changes in strategy.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am

Good feedback.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Spleen vented.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Spiccoli wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 am
One more thing....

It would be great to be able to simulate (for practice) several games to try out new ideas, like juggling the Bullpen and/or changing Game Strategy.

I guess the only way now would be to somehow copy the league as close as possible, then experiment? Seems like to much of a hassle for the benefits.

When I played Front Page Sports 95' online, after making roster moves and sending in, I could manually simulate as many games as I wanted with the save file. I could actually play a season completely through just for fun to see what would happen. Then overwrite everything with the updated save file.

You can play out one game each sim most of the time. Just make all your changes, export, then in the top right of the screen where it says "upcoming schedule"... click "Today....Play VS (Team Name)". The only time it doesn't work is if your team has an off day that day or Recte sims untill the end of a day and doesn't advance to the next.

I found that by accident about 5-6 seasons ago and it has been an absolute game changer in how much fun I'm having.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 pm
Spiccoli wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 am
One more thing....

You can play out one game each sim most of the time. Just make all your changes, export, then in the top right of the screen where it says "upcoming schedule"... click "Today....Play VS (Team Name)". The only time it doesn't work is if your team has an off day that day or Recte sims untill the end of a day and doesn't advance to the next.

I found that by accident about 5-6 seasons ago and it has been an absolute game changer in how much fun I'm having.
Oh yes.. I play that game everytime.

I even get paranoid that I'm jinxing the team by playing the game and if they win, it may mean they'll lose in the real sim.

lol... Did I mention I used to be a superstitious catcher/LF in High School? I'd get into ruts of driving to the field the same way all the time. Or wearing batting gloves... or whatever stupid shit I'd thought would help.

Rationally, I know it makes no difference, but I still can't help myself sometimes.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 am

Spiccoli wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm
Oh yes.. I play that game everytime.

I even get paranoid that I'm jinxing the team by playing the game and if they win, it may mean they'll lose in the real sim.

lol... Did I mention I used to be a superstitious catcher/LF in High School? I'd get into ruts of driving to the field the same way all the time. Or wearing batting gloves... or whatever stupid shit I'd thought would help.

Rationally, I know it makes no difference, but I still can't help myself sometimes.
No, I'm not wearing a gray shirt today because the JV Basketball team I coach has won their last 3 games that I've worn gray.

(Yes I am!)
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-