Official Brewster Baseball Association GM Biographies Thread

Important Files, Links, and Questions
Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Official MBWBA GM Biographies Thread

Post by Ted » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Team: California Crusaders
GM: Ted Schmidt
Other Leagues: None currently (may actually get the GBC restarted with Spitulski)
Birthday: 07/02/80
Family: Just parents and siblings (2 of both)
Accolades: These have probably happened at some point, but I'm so self deprecating I never remember them.
How would your friends describe you: Nice guy, bit of an arrogant ass at times.
Favorite Sports Moment: Probably influenced by current sports relevance, but Secretariat in the '73 Belmont makes my tear up every time
Favorite Sports Movie: Don't have one
Favorite MLB Team: Cardinals
Favorite MLB Player: Active: don't really have one. Randall Grichuck is growing on me Retired: Jimmy Edmonds
Favorite NFL Team: "Favorite" is overstating it. I follow the Rams kinda. Not a big NFL guy
Favorite NBA Team: Bulls
Favorite NHL Team: Blues
Favorite College: Illinois
One place in the World you would like to visit: See, the nice thing about living in Peoria, IL (or any other medium to small city in the midwest) is that visiting ANYWHERE else in the world is amazing.
GM "Style": Conservative. Develop through the draft.
Why do you love online baseball? How else can I run my own franchise and compete with friends?
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Team: Buffalo Bison
GM: Adam Dee
Other Leagues: None currently
Birthday: September 29
Family: Just parents and a brother
Accolades: won some comedy contests, captain of the most middle-of-the-pack team in Edmonton's men's football league
How would your friends describe you: Funny and cute :P
Favorite Sports Moment: I don't cheer for a lot of winners, but... a tie between the Oilers winning Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Oilers winning the McDavid lottery, and the Badgers beating undefeated Kentucky in the Final Four this year.
Favorite Sports Movie: Moneyball
Favorite MLB Team: Chicago Cubs
Favorite MLB Player: Kris Bryant. I'm a sucker for a kid who clearly loves the game.
Favorite NFL Team: Don't really have one, I follow the careers of all the ex-Badgers in NCAA so right now it might be the Chargers, huge Melvin Gordon fan.
Favorite NBA Team: Don't really have one, though same with ex-Badgers so I'll be following Kaminsky's Hornets pretty closely
Favorite NHL Team: Edmonton Oilers 'til I die.
Favorite College: Wisconsin
One place in the World you would like to visit: my dream trip would be to see the Cubs playing at Wrigley, and the Badgers playing at Camp Randall. But we'd need some Cubs playoff games for that to work out...
GM "Style": Depends, I'm naturally more of a offence-focused guy but it looks like I've inherited a team built exactly the opposite so I may have to change my ways!
Why do you love online baseball? I've invented fictional leagues, teams and players for as long as I can remember, and the idea of being able to do that competitively is endlessly fascinating.
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:36 pm

ok... so how does a dude from Alberta like the Cubs and Badgers? Back story please... (oh, and welcome aboard bud!).
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Well, when you live this far away from any major sports teams (aside from ice hockey and CFL) you sort of have to find your teams where you will.

I got into Badgers football maybe four years ago, and the basketball followed shortly after. I was watching TV with a friend and we thought "gee, wouldn't it be funny if we got into college sports? and not even a really high profile program? haha what's this team playing called, the badgers? that's hilarious" and what began as a joke very quickly turned into us watching every game of their season, reading and posting on blogs, and generally becoming altogether too emotionally invested in the athletics department of an American college I didn't attend. we're currently planning a trip to see some games.

The Cubs came along the year after -- I've always loved baseball, and when Edmonton had a half-decent independent league team I'd go fairly often. The league fell apart though -- which happens when teams from Edmonton and Calgary have to make regular road-trips to division rival Hawaii -- and I decided to invest myself in an MLB team. I decided that it wouldn't be such a bad thing for me to try following a successful baseball team; when you're an Oilers, Badgers and Hotspur fan it's pretty hard to ever be accused of bandwagoning. So I made a list of teams I might find interesting (Dodgers, Giants, As, Mariners, Tigers, Jays, Mets, Brewers) and then slapped the Cubs on the end of the list because they were close to Madison and I guess I might conceivably be able to see them in a trip to see the Badgers play?

I watched a few games of all of those teams and, to my dismay, the one team I actually felt something about was the damn Cubs, the haven't-won-a-damn-thing-since-the-Ottoman-Empire-existed Cubs. I've always believed that you don't really choose teams, teams choose you. I was never able to get into the Jays even though they're "Canada's team" but it took me about two weeks to fall all the way into Cubs fandom. And now, hilariously, they're probably the closest of all my sad-sack teams to winning a championship now (which says more about the calibre of teams I support than it does about the Cubs, lol).
Adam Dyck

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Any possibility that your love of sad sack franchises is actually what lead you to the Cubs? And don't kid yourself. They aren't that close to winning a championship. I'm an atypical Cardinals fan. I'd love to see the Cubs be good. Rivalries are much more fun when both teams are good. In the Cubs case, they are at that crucial juncture when they look like they could win, but really can't, and would have to trade prospects to get what they need. If they can manage to hold on and stick to the build from within plan, I'll be really scared of them in 2-3 years, but I don't think they will. Cubs for some inexplicable reason have a "win now" fan base and the Lester signing and Fowler trade aren't very reassuring.
Ted Schmidt

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Haha, like I said, that says more about my other teams than it does about the Cubs. My main team, the beloved Oilers of Edmonton, are currently in the 9th year of a playoff drought, in a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs each year.
Adam Dyck

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:59 am

Chey wrote:Haha, like I said, that says more about my other teams than it does about the Cubs. My main team, the beloved Oilers of Edmonton, are currently in the 9th year of a playoff drought, in a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs each year.
And a certain team always seems to get the #1 overall pick. :)

If you are ever in Chicago let me know... I used to live a mile from Wrigley. I also frequent Madison quite a bit for work... nice area.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 pm

I was planning a trip to Chicago for the fall but it looks like I'll be heading San Francisco way at the end of August with a friend of mine who's a Giants fan... if both teams can stay in the WC race that should be an exciting series.

Either way, I'm hoping to get to Wrigley next year.
Adam Dyck

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Chey wrote:Haha, like I said, that says more about my other teams than it does about the Cubs. My main team, the beloved Oilers of Edmonton, are currently in the 9th year of a playoff drought, in a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs each year.
I've been following hockey now for just over a year and a half... and all I can say to this is GO CAPS!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Ted wrote:Any possibility that your love of sad sack franchises is actually what lead you to the Cubs? And don't kid yourself. They aren't that close to winning a championship. I'm an atypical Cardinals fan. I'd love to see the Cubs be good. Rivalries are much more fun when both teams are good. In the Cubs case, they are at that crucial juncture when they look like they could win, but really can't, and would have to trade prospects to get what they need. If they can manage to hold on and stick to the build from within plan, I'll be really scared of them in 2-3 years, but I don't think they will. Cubs for some inexplicable reason have a "win now" fan base and the Lester signing and Fowler trade aren't very reassuring.
Million dollar comment right here, by the way.
Adam Dyck

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Chey wrote:
Ted wrote:Any possibility that your love of sad sack franchises is actually what lead you to the Cubs? And don't kid yourself. They aren't that close to winning a championship. I'm an atypical Cardinals fan. I'd love to see the Cubs be good. Rivalries are much more fun when both teams are good. In the Cubs case, they are at that crucial juncture when they look like they could win, but really can't, and would have to trade prospects to get what they need. If they can manage to hold on and stick to the build from within plan, I'll be really scared of them in 2-3 years, but I don't think they will. Cubs for some inexplicable reason have a "win now" fan base and the Lester signing and Fowler trade aren't very reassuring.
You just ensured a sophomore slump by every player on your roster. Congrats.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm

When you come to Chicago we should plan an outing. Bieschke, Eddie, Brett and Fred are all in Wisconsin, and Tim M. Is in Chicago, too. Nice chunk of the league.

c-mitch
Ex-GM

Post by c-mitch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:57 pm

I'm 2 hours from Chicago in Kalamazoo.

recte44

Post by recte44 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Sweet, we might be able to get nearly half of the league together.

We should really do this next summer.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Id be in but it would have to be scheduled in advance or ill never be able to get off of work.
GM Vancouver Mounties

recte44

Post by recte44 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:34 pm

Same for me, Brett.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:54 am

Chey wrote:

I've eaten a lot of crow this year. I really thought they were a year or two away, and I HATE Dexter Fowler. I'm stunned that worked out so well. Oh well.
Ted Schmidt

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:59 am

Ted wrote:
Chey wrote:

I've eaten a lot of crow this year. I really thought they were a year or two away, and I HATE Dexter Fowler. I'm stunned that worked out so well. Oh well.
I also spend 2 minutes before going to bed each night praying that Arrieta either tests positive for PED's or remembers that he's really the scrub that stunk up the joint in Baltimore for 3 and a half years.
Ted Schmidt

Edward Murphy
Ex-GM

Post by Edward Murphy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:03 am

We can car pool from Milwaukee and I have a I pass also.
Edward Murphy

Playing with a Purpose
awm53222@yahoo.com

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:14 am

bschr682 wrote:Id be in but it would have to be scheduled in advance or ill never be able to get off of work.
:plus1:
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAQ”