OOTP Tips and Tricks

Important Files, Links, and Questions
Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

OOTP Tips and Tricks

Post by Lane » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:06 pm

So, @GoldenOne and I were chatting on slack today working through some OOTP technical issues and I introduced him to the concept of "Import via FTP"

So I'm making this OOTP Tips and Tricks thread, where I'll post a few "did you know you could do this" things and I hope that you do too, because I'm far from an expert myself.

IMPORT VIA FTP
So, we all know how to "Export via FTP" but did you know that you can "Import via FTP" as well?

This can be useful for when the game crashes and you don't want to re-do all your work, or mis-clicks where you want to restore to a previous point without re-downloading the file.

So go to your Rosters & Transactions page, and click on the "ACTIONS" drop down on the top right. From there you can Import via FTP and it will load the last file that exists on the server from your previous upload. Of course, this is only useful if you've already exported for the current game date.

BONUS!

While we're in that menu, you can also Import/Export to File. This drops your team file into:

C:\blahblah\OOTP Baseball 21\saved_games\Brewster.lg\import_export

Or if you're on mac it goes to the mac place. :shrug:

The file is called team_##.ootp

But what would I use this for, you ask? You could send it to yourself to load on another computer, or you could send it to Matt if you're unable to export via FTP.

RE-DOWNLOAD CURRENT LEAGUE FILE

Handy if you made a mistake/want to undo something and need a fresh file without doing a full re-install.

Navigate to OOTP\saved_games\brewster.lg\settings and delete "online_league_file_time.cfg"

Return to game, and download as usual.

FILTER BY SHORTLIST

I just came upon this realization today, and I'm sure I'm not the first one, but I'm willing to bet that at least one person doesn't know they can do this. I always struggle with viewing the draft class in game for multiple reasons, and I usually make a spreadsheet for analysis out of game. But I like to do a final comparison of my choices in-game before I actually pick.

Anyway, today I realized that I can add already drafted players to a shortlist, say, "DRAFTED" and then set a custom filter on the draft class to not show guys that I add to this shortlist. Makes it so much easier to look at who is left to be drafted.

Obviously this is not sustainable for later round drafting, but for the first couple rounds, maybe you find it as useful as I do.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Lane

Import via FTP

Post by Lane » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:14 pm

So, we all know how to "Export via FTP" but did you know that you can "Import via FTP" as well?

This can be useful for when the game crashes and you don't want to re-do all your work, or mis-clicks where you want to restore to a previous point without re-downloading the file.

So go to your Rosters & Transactions page, and click on the "ACTIONS" drop down on the top right. From there you can Import via FTP and it will load the last file that exists on the server from your previous upload. Of course, this is only useful if you've already exported for the current game date.

BONUS!

While we're in that menu, you can also Import/Export to File. This drops your team file into:

C:\blahblah\OOTP Baseball 21\saved_games\Brewster.lg\import_export

Or if you're on mac it goes to the mac place. :shrug:

The file is called team_##.ootp

But what would I use this for, you ask? You could send it to yourself to load on another computer, or you could send it to Matt if you're unable to export via FTP.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

RichY
Ex-GM

Re: OOTP Tips and Tricks

Post by RichY » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:24 pm

Great idea.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:37 pm

Should we make a top level “table of contents” type sticky with links to the various how tos? If we all just keep posting to this thread it could get quite long to scroll through. Does the website offer a wiki/faq type template?

CTBrewCrew

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:37 pm

I think its a great idea

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:39 pm

Yeah I will find a way to consolidate as people add. Probably just put it all in the top post.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

CTBrewCrew

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 pm

Im assuming we have a site hosting the phpbb site (montybrewster.net) for us? (Which reminds me i gotta donate some $ towards the cause). Anywho as the admins of the site - since phpbb is open source - there are free mods we could install that could give us a FAQ capabilities. Just looking at the phpbb mods now quickly. Just a thought. 😄

https://www.phpbb.com

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 9&t=712805

Which it looks like we might have installed already

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 pm

FILTER BY SHORTLIST

I just came upon this realization today, and I'm sure I'm not the first one, but I'm willing to bet that at least one person doesn't know they can do this. I always struggle with viewing the draft class in game for multiple reasons, and I usually make a spreadsheet for analysis out of game. But I like to do a final comparison of my choices in-game before I actually pick.

Anyway, today I realized that I can add already drafted players to a shortlist, say, "DRAFTED" and then set a custom filter on the draft class to not show guys that I add to this shortlist. Makes it so much easier to look at who is left to be drafted.

Obviously this is not sustainable for later round drafting, but for the first couple rounds, maybe you find it as useful as I do.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

HerbD
Ex-GM

Post by HerbD » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 am

Lane wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 pm
FILTER BY SHORTLIST

I add the entire draft class to a short list(DRAFT2046 for this year). As the players get drafted I remove them from the short list leaving the rest of the draft class for me to sort through. That is my method.
Montreal Blazers(BBA) 2044~2047(353-295, .545 W%)
2045 Wildcard(lost in one round)
2046 Atlantic Champs(lost in one round)

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 am

HerbD wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 am
Lane wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 pm
FILTER BY SHORTLIST

I add the entire draft class to a short list(DRAFT2046 for this year). As the players get drafted I remove them from the short list leaving the rest of the draft class for me to sort through. That is my method.
Thank you both. I am stealing this idea, unless it is copyrighted.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

allenciox
Ex-GM

Post by allenciox » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:05 pm

There is another way to do it, which I do. I do export to a spreadsheet outside the game, then add a column indicating "pick". As players are drafted, I put the draft position in this spot, and periodically filter to only show pick = " "

By using a spreadsheet, I can also add custom notes or ratings as columns in the spreadsheet.

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Post by chicoruiz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:10 pm

I also export to a spreadsheet, then add a column that I use for a number of things: marking X for players I’m targeting, S for possible late round sleepers, and D plus the round # for players I draft. Then after the draft I can sort by “D”, delete everything else, and I have a nice list of my draftees all in one place.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 pm

chicoruiz wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:10 pm
I also export to a spreadsheet, then add a column that I use for a number of things: marking X for players I’m targeting, S for possible late round sleepers, and D plus the round # for players I draft. Then after the draft I can sort by “D”, delete everything else, and I have a nice list of my draftees all in one place.
That sounds great. Next year I'm sure you wouldn't mind sharing that with me. :P
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

CTBrewCrew

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 pm

Pew pew pew....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAQ”