Dumb Rule 5 Draft Question

Important Files, Links, and Questions
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Dumb Rule 5 Draft Question

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm scanning through my players and seeing some weird things...

How many years of pro service should it take before a player becomes eligible for Rule 5?
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Dumb Rule 5 Draft Question

Post by Lane » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:09 am

I believe OOTP attempts to follow the MLB rules, but there are often complaints about its execution. Wikipedia explanation attached because about to leave for work.
Attachments
IMG_1025.PNG
IMG_1025.PNG (260.88 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:01 am

Lane wrote:I believe OOTP attempts to follow the MLB rules, but there are often complaints about its execution. Wikipedia explanation attached because about to leave for work.
I don't know if anyone knows. I've had guys with anywhere from 3 to 5 years of Pro experience be eligible for the Rule 5. Generally, what Stephen has posted is accurate, sometimes there are outliers. Just make sure you pay attention to who is marked eligible at the end of the season.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am

After a quick glance at my system, it looks like guys signed as minor league free agents are eligible even if they don't have the service time normally required.

I'm sure it's not the only reason things could be weird though.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 am

Since we are on the subject. The other night I was trying to compose a list of rule 5 eligible players and it is quite the project. The only way I know how is to use the widget on the front office list. Since my goal was to separate the potential protected players from the expendables, I had to go one by one to create a shortlist. Every time I shortlisted one, it would return all the way to the top of the list. Then once I had all the players on one shortlist, I separated them into protect and non-protect shortlist. I wanted to copy and paste the non protect list into my trade block but because they are shortlisted, their names were in all caps and couldn't be linked with the URL converted.

How hard is it for OOTP to make filter and/or check box in the custom view for "rule 5 eligible"?
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:38 am

ae37jr wrote:Since we are on the subject. The other night I was trying to compose a list of rule 5 eligible players and it is quite the project. The only way I know how is to use the widget on the front office list. Since my goal was to separate the potential protected players from the expendables, I had to go one by one to create a shortlist. Every time I shortlisted one, it would return all the way to the top of the list. Then once I had all the players on one shortlist, I separated them into protect and non-protect shortlist. I wanted to copy and paste the non protect list into my trade block but because they are shortlisted, their names were in all caps and couldn't be linked with the URL converted.

How hard is it for OOTP to make filter and/or check box in the custom view for "rule 5 eligible"?
Yeah, finding Rule 5 guys is more difficult than it should be.

You might find it easier to go to your Minor Leagues under Rosters & Transactions. Rule 5 eligible players will be marked with a "#"

That way you can select multiple at once to add to the shortlist, or even just make the decision right on that screen.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 am

Looking at several of my guys, I can't see that it's using that set of rules.

And it's doing weird things with minor league free agents you sign. Some are eligible, others not. And various professional service times and signing times don't seem to matter. Odd.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAQ”