Age Maximums

Important Files, Links, and Questions
udlb58
Ex-GM

Re: Age Maximums

Post by udlb58 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 am

Bumstead wrote:I don't know, I thought I said about the same thing as Marko...maybe not so direct and with a lot longer explanation. I disagree that it affects y'all's prospects and I have had way too many bumpers from guys that barely played to spend much time worrying about AB's for these guys. Marcus can say what he wants, but the "proof" or lack thereof is in pudding. I realize it bothers some of you if some guys have 35 year old pitchers in rookie ball, but it's a disadvantage to the person keeping that player, so I'm confused by the whole annoyance with it.

But, as I have pointed out and as Jacksonville has so eloquently pointed out, I'm not one of the "offenders," but I do encourage everyone to maintain a plethora of 30 somethings in all their minor leagues! :shrug: :oops: :bag:
Guys that don't play may bump, but are their actual current abilities developing while sitting idol? It doesn't just affect those who choose to have geezers in the low minors, it also affects those who stash actual prospects, who should be playing rookie ball, down in WL and see them not get any playing time.

A couple of seasons ago, we cut the roster size of the low minors because it was explained that having fewer non-prospects in the lower minors would be beneficial to the league. How is this any different?? Forcing these old guys to be put at the appropriate level or cut, forces non-prospects (either these old guys or the marginal guys in their upper 20s who will be cut in their place) to be released. The older players will retire more quickly than younger players if they don't latch on to a team, and this will lower the number of players in the overall pool.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 am

udlb58 wrote:
Bumstead wrote:I don't know, I thought I said about the same thing as Marko...maybe not so direct and with a lot longer explanation. I disagree that it affects y'all's prospects and I have had way too many bumpers from guys that barely played to spend much time worrying about AB's for these guys. Marcus can say what he wants, but the "proof" or lack thereof is in pudding. I realize it bothers some of you if some guys have 35 year old pitchers in rookie ball, but it's a disadvantage to the person keeping that player, so I'm confused by the whole annoyance with it.

But, as I have pointed out and as Jacksonville has so eloquently pointed out, I'm not one of the "offenders," but I do encourage everyone to maintain a plethora of 30 somethings in all their minor leagues! :shrug: :oops: :bag:
Guys that don't play may bump, but are their actual current abilities developing while sitting idol? It doesn't just affect those who choose to have geezers in the low minors, it also affects those who stash actual prospects, who should be playing rookie ball, down in WL and see them not get any playing time.

A couple of seasons ago, we cut the roster size of the low minors because it was explained that having fewer non-prospects in the lower minors would be beneficial to the league. How is this any different?? Forcing these old guys to be put at the appropriate level or cut, forces non-prospects (either these old guys or the marginal guys in their upper 20s who will be cut in their place) to be released. The older players will retire more quickly than younger players if they don't latch on to a team, and this will lower the number of players in the overall pool.
We have limits. I think we should be able to manage our teams the way we see fit, not the way someone else wants us to manage them. I have had plenty of good prospects develop (other than defensively) without playing, but that's me. I, personally, find it annoying to add rules for every little thing as I just don't have that kind of time to mess with it every sim. I just don't. I'm going to have a hard time meeting the PPT requirements this season and I can't do much to fix that. The time's not there.

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm not for adding another rule, but to be honest I never thought about how it impacted other teams. So I cleaned mine up and will try to monitor it closer. I also have no problem if somebody wants to monitor it and call folks out in a nice way that they might want to check their ages in A and R. I do have a question though. If I wanted to put a bench rider or two that was older on a lower team for leadership purposes, does that still screw up other teams if the guy rarely plays? Don't know so I'm asking.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

allenr
Ex-GM

Post by allenr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 pm

1 or 2 guys for that purpose is fine in my view. I don't know if morale affects development. If it doesn't (and wow I hope it doesn't) then I'm not sure losing all the time is that big a deal. Unless poor performances negatively impact development. Not sure about that either.

Anyway I cleaned mine up. If I start getting demolished in the minors after owning the season at at least two levels so far, you'll be hearing from my virtual lawyers.
GM Edmonton Jackrabbits (2030-??)
2030: 65-97 | 2031: 70-92 || Total: 135-189

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAQ”