Rule 5 Draft Continues as Planned

Announcements from the Governing Board found here
recte44
GB: Commissioner

Rule 5 Draft Continues as Planned

Post by recte44 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:56 pm

These are the same rules we have always had. I don't see any reason not to move forward. Ye Olde Commish has ruled
Off Topic
BBA News: Rule 5 Draft: Brewster Baseball Association's Rule 5 draft will be held today. General managers should ensure that they have made all necessary roster moves prior to the start of the draft!

Rule 5 Draft Rules
--Only teams with empty slots on their expanded rosters can select a player in the draft.
--Players with more than 3 years of professional experience are eligible to be selected, unless they are protected on a team's expanded roster.
--Players drafted at the age of 18 or younger are protected for one additional year. They are eligible if they have more than 4 years of professional service.
--Each selected player must be kept on the selecting team's major league roster for the entire year, or be returned to his original team.
--Even if a selected player is subsequently traded, he must remain on that team's major league roster for the entire year.

Note: Eligible players are noted on the team transaction screen with a "#" symbol.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: Rule 5 Draft Continues as Planned

Post by bschr682 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Going forward will you keep the rule 5 in January so that this becomes the norm?
GM Vancouver Mounties

recte44

Post by recte44 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:30 pm

yes

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Cool. Seems like a better solution than trying to roll everything back. That shit seems impossible.

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 am

damn...now I have to go through the draft pool, and clear some 40 man space...

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:23 am

Could be a great waiver wire for rebuilding teams.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Ooo the more I look at this the more I like it. Its gonna be a bit harder to play the suppress the clock game and maybe drafting that super raw 19 year old becomes a dicey proposition...
GM Vancouver Mounties

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:47 pm

I think this is excellent for the league personally. I felt I could hold down players and never really had an issue with calling up someone in the past when they did become eligible because they were typically completely ready. I like this alot.

Just for the record, I am just loading up to export so havent actually seen the change this is going to cause for me.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 pm

niles08 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:47 pm
I think this is excellent for the league personally. I felt I could hold down players and never really had an issue with calling up someone in the past when they did become eligible because they were typically completely ready. I like this alot.

Just for the record, I am just loading up to export so havent actually seen the change this is going to cause for me.
Its Dooley time...
GM Vancouver Mounties

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:55 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 pm
niles08 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Its Dooley time...
It was before hand lol his stuff finally jumped from 4 to 5 so it's time to run him out there!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:59 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:38 pm
Ooo the more I look at this the more I like it. Its gonna be a bit harder to play the suppress the clock game and maybe drafting that super raw 19 year old becomes a dicey proposition...
Do you mean the drop to three years? If I'm right, this is a bug in OOTP...so there's every likelihood that it will change. :)

It's also not how baseball itself works (hence the expectation that this is a bug). If OOTP changes the Rule 5 throughout the OOTP world to be three years (four for younger players) rather than four/five they will piss off a whole lot of baseball fans.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

recte44

Post by recte44 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:02 pm

From Last Years Rule 5 Draft:
Off Topic
BBA News: Rule 5 Draft:
Brewster Baseball Association's Rule 5 draft will be held today. General managers should ensure that they have made all necessary roster moves prior to the start of the draft!

Rule 5 Draft Rules
--Only teams with empty slots on their expanded rosters can select a player in the draft.
--Players with more than 3 years of professional experience are eligible to be selected, unless they are protected on a team's expanded roster.
--Players drafted at the age of 18 or younger are protected for one additional year. They are eligible if they have more than 4 years of professional service.
--Each selected player must be kept on the selecting team's major league roster for the entire year, or be returned to his original team.
--Even if a selected player is subsequently traded, he must remain on that team's major league roster for the entire year.

Note: Eligible players are noted on the team transaction screen with a "#" symbol.
From This Years Rule 5 Draft:
Off Topic
Brewster Baseball Association's Rule 5 draft will be held today. General managers should ensure that they have made all necessary roster moves prior to the start of the draft!

Rule 5 Draft Rules

I'm failing to see how this changed.

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:03 pm

FYI - I've altered the Constitution to reflect this change.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:12 pm

recte44 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:02 pm
From Last Years Rule 5 Draft:
Off Topic

Rule 5 Draft Rules

From This Years Rule 5 Draft:
Off Topic

Rule 5 Draft Rules

I'm failing to see how this changed.
I don't mean to be a jerk here. I see your note, and I see the note in the email the game sends me. But I also know the following things:

1) The MLB rule is 4/5
2) If OOTP did 3/4 as a default, the world would be afire.
3) I can find threads from OOTP that suggest this is a bug
4) I have guys (Roberto Fernandez is one) who just became Rule 5 eligible this year. He has 5 seasons of pro experience, hence had four last year...so under the 3/4 concept, would have been eligible last year if the game was working this way.
5) Our constitution itself was 4/5 until a minute ago! :)

So, whatever...

I am 100% fine with whatever the game/league does, but unless I've gone completely insane (always possible, I suppose), this has actually changed.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:31 pm

And, again, maybe I'm insane...but I can't recall a year where 80% of my AA and A ball team rosters are eligible...or 50% or so of my short A players.

So whatever it is, _something_ is different.
Roster

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Help me understand, I have not been following much today. I thought losing the year was due to Recte changing the rule 5 from December to January. But know I see it’s an ootp bug. Which one is it?

recte44

Post by recte44 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:10 pm

I don’t think it’s either

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Is it maybe something like OOTP's rule 5 settings are just not built to handle the rule 5 being in the beginning of the year instead of the end? As in technically it views this as the 2041 rule 5 draft instead of the 2040 rule 5 draft and at the end of the 2041 season all these guys that we think shouldn't be eligible for this current draft would have been eligible had the draft been next December?
GM Vancouver Mounties

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:37 pm

I understood Rons frustration on this. It don’t impact me personally because I have no depth it will probably actually benefit me. But this certainly had a big impact on the deeper teams and this came upon them without warning so they have reason to be frustrated. I am having trouble understanding why we would make this change and not remain under the module of 4/5 and why we are changing something that was against the constitution at the time of the change.

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:35 pm

The issue is that it's not a change in settings, so is nothing Matt had done... even taking into account the movement of date.

To be clear though, I'm fine with the situation. I just want to be clear it's a change. :)
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Announcements”