The outlook is for major storms (2047-41)

GM: VACANT
Fat Nige
Ex-GM

The outlook is for major storms (2047-41)

Post by Fat Nige » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:50 am

Where do we go from here?

As the dust settles from a very hard season, an air of despondency settles on the Riyadh front office. It was so different in 2046, we had won 70 games in our inaugural season and were going places. Now at the end of 2047 the only place we are going is down the toilet fast.

In an attempt to improve the team, we had added around $20 million to the wage bill, pushing us near to the $55m salary cap. It didn’t work out though, our middle infield duo were great Grady Fern & Jose Montano did well enough but Juan Rodriguez was an $8m bust, winning just seven games whilst losing an UMEBA leading 19 games. He’s owed 11m for 2047, and the three of them will take up $19.6m next year which isn’t far off half of our new budget provided by the Sheikh. That’s another story, as the fans rapidly drifted away our average attendance fell from 19,711 to an all-time low of 15,083, the revenue nose-dived and the inevitable happened. Along with a 20-page dossier from the Sheikh telling me how displeased he was that I hadn’t improved the attendance, hadn’t built a top-2 farm system or indeed even won, was a note saying that my budget was cut in 2048 to just $47m. Given that we will be spending around $4.5m on staff (once we have hired a new manager & assistant manager) that leaves us barely $42-43m for the payroll. We are currently committed to a payroll of $50.3m so there’ll be no signing anyone for 2048 and I’ll have to get creative with arbitration and non-tender a few, just to get even close to my budget. The league has told us that increase parity within UMEBA we will get two extra draft picks this year, I have real fears now that we won’t be able to afford to sign the extra picks anyway. With only two players in the league’s Top-100 prospects, both in the 70’s, there won’t be any help there either.

So, we’ll lose more money, more fan interest, more fan base in 2048 as we slide even further behind the established UMEBA teams. How do you improve a team when there’s nothing to trade, nothing to sign and you’re 5-10m over budget? There’s cuts to be made, maybe Fern & Montano might be worth a prospect or two, but we’ll be lucky to hit 40 wins in 2048
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Return to “Riyadh Red Crescents”