Pharaoh Moans (2046-09): Top Prospects Roundup

GM: Jessie Ramirez

Moderator: JRamirez

woods
Ex-GM

Pharaoh Moans (2046-09): Top Prospects Roundup

Post by woods » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 am

With the calendar now in July, and the major league Pharaohs now unquestionably out of contention, perhaps the most interesting story in the organization is what’s happening in the minor leagues.

Over in Taiwan, the Chinese Baseball League has been underway for a month now, and the Pharaohs’ 2046 draft picks have all been signed to contracts. Truth be told, some were signed and then immediately released, but at least they received a nice bonus for their troubles.

Of those who have secured a spot in Rookie League, most eyes have been on the draft’s first overall pick, Wibawa Subadio. A pitcher and outfielder by trade, the product of Papua New Guinea has struggled since beginning his professional career, slashing .224/.297/.299 at the plate, and pitching one lamentable outing where he gave up five runs before leaving the game with a minor shoulder injury.

The manager of the Koi Fish, Kassa Himidi, is not worried about Subadio’s slow start.

“I think he was trying to do too much,” Himidi said about the rookie’s rough outing on the mound. “The kid’s only 17 and has these huge expectations to live up to. Naturally there are going to be some nerves there. Not to mention having to hit and pitch. So we’re going to try and simplify things for him, remove the pitching from the equation, so he can focus on one area of his game at a time.”

Himidi confirmed that Subadio will be the everyday right fielder for the Koi Fish for the remainder of the season. He will eventually get to pitch again, but perhaps not this season, as management is intent on getting the youngster some games under his belt first.

Moving across the sea to the island of Guam, where the Single-A Agana Admirals play, one 21-year-old is starting to make waves. And it isn’t a member of the Pharaohs’ draft class — in fact, it’s Jae-hyung Chi, the first baseman the Pharaohs received in a trade with Athens last month. Since joining the team, he has absolutely torched the ball, slashing .382/.442/.539 and putting up 1.5 WAR in just 25 games.

Kipkoskei Mutira, the Admirals’ manager, is impressed with the work ethic of the young first baseman. “He’s out there before every game, taking grounders, working on his footwork. He’s so focused on getting better, and he’s never satisfied with where he’s at. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were playing in the UMEBA in a year.”

One number, however, stands out on Chi’s stat sheet: zero home runs. Despite scouts raving about the youngster’s huge power potential, that power hasn’t materialized during games. The coaches have been working with Chi on his launch angle, hoping that a few adjustments will lead to him soon putting some balls in the stands.

We’ll finish our tour of the minor leagues on the other side of the Pacific, in Panama, where the Chiriqui Roneros, the Pharaohs’ Double-A affiliate, play.

Manning right field most days at Roneros Field is another prospect about which the Pharaohs are excited, 24-year-old Junior Silva. Drafted twice by the BBA, but being left unsigned by his drafting team both times, he finally found a home in the Pharaohs’ organization when they signed him as a free agent in December and added him to the 40-man roster in advance of the Rule 5 Draft.

He was sent to Single-A Agana, where he promptly showed he was above that level of competition, posting a 1.114 OPS in eight games. The Pharaohs moved him up to Double-A, where he has continued to hit. In 22 games with Chiriqui, he is slashing .317/.384/.587 with four home runs. He has also stolen six bases this year, and hasn’t been caught stealing.

Because Silva is on the team’s 40-man roster, it’s not difficult to imagine seeing him in the UMEBA this season as a September call-up. But if he keeps hitting like he has been, that call-up might come sooner.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Pharaoh Moans (2046-09): Top Prospects Roundup

Post by tylertoo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 am

woods wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 am
Truth be told, some were signed and then immediately released, but at least they received a nice bonus for their troubles.
I always feel weird releasing a recent pick, even a low-rounder, though this year's UMEBA draft wasteland made that easy. But usually I wonder if I'm jettisoning someone before they had a chance to surprise me.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: Pharaoh Moans (2046-09): Top Prospects Roundup

Post by Fat Nige » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm

I’m not signing my #4 pick, he’s asking for $180k and I just don’t think he’s worth it. I could afford it, but I don’t want to hand it out to some smart ass kid with an overinflated view of himself lol
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cairo Pharaohs”