From the GM - 2047 #1 - Did I really let the Best walk right out the door?

GM: Adam Olson

Moderator: Coliseum

Treydmarq
Ex-GM

From the GM - 2047 #1 - Did I really let the Best walk right out the door?

Post by Treydmarq » Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 am

A new seasons brings a new face to the Tripoli Piranhas. More specifically, my face, the new General Manager of the Piranha, Anthony Kates.

In an effort to be as transparent as possible with the great fans of this organization, I have decided to bring you on the inside of the board room, and share with you my thoughts and reasonings for anything that happens with the team.

I wanted to start off by saying I could not be happier to have been chosen to be the new GM. I look forward to bringing much success to the team and the city and hope to make you, the fans, proud to call me your GM. When I work for an organization, when I run a team, that team and that city becomes a part of my family and I am fiercely loyal and protective of that family.

To that end, I wanted to touch on the subject on everyone's minds this spring - the three trades I've already made. I've read the tweets, watched the Youtube videos and heard the radio jockeys, but I believe you should hear it from the horses mouth why the horse did what it did.

Trade #1 - Cairo Pharoahs

Shea Valance for Luis Escobar and Roberto Souza

I know what you're thinking....how could I trade a 21 year old starting pitcher who already has 139 UMEBA innings under his belt for a 28 year old catcher and a 23 year old reliever? Well, I'll tell you why: our starting catcher coming into the season was a soon to be 35 year old who has had the worst statistical stretch of his UMEBA career since joining our roster in 2045. Souza is a much better defensive presence behind the plate and, when he is at the plate, will produce at a higher level than his predecessor. Souza's .355 OBP over his 216 plate appearances in 2046 would have been second amongst all catchers in UMEBA had he had the qualifying number of PA. And though Valance's AAA stats looked like he was improving in 2046, his UMEBA numbers were worse his 2nd year in the league than his first.....in less innings. Plus, I knew I had a trade in the works to get a much improved replacement in the rotation.

Trade #2 - Beirut Cedars

Michael Best for Liam Dalton and Toby Bundy

Though the starting rotation already has an absolute stud in Mahad Einan, I believe that a strong rotation and a strong bullpen can make up for any lack of offense a team might have. Though this meant trading Best, the league leader in doubles, I was okay losing his bat at the corner because of the addition of Juan Dominguez by my predecessor last season. Best's numbers overall dropped compared to his first season in UMEBA, whereas Dominguez looks like he can probably replicate about 90% of Best's production, at a quarter of the cost.

This leads us to what we gained: another bonafide young ace in Liam Dalton. Pairing Dalton with Einan gives us two of the 6 to 8 best starters in the entire league and both are workhorses that we can lean on to help carry the load when needed. Dalton still has room to grow and put up a great season, with plenty more great ones to come. The second piece we gained, a dominate, young bullpen arm in Toby Bundy. He spent some time last season in the closer role for Beirut and performed admirably, though I foresee him being the strong armed set up man in our bullpen. Someone I can go to when we are in a jam and can close the door on a rally. Though he is 21, he still has ample room to grow and I do believe can be one of the best strikeout bullpen arms in the entirety of UMEBA.

Trade #3 - Baghdad Kings

Wilson Ford for Keith Johnstone and Alex Leon

Moving on from Ford had two reasons behind it: 1) Gave me the opportunity to bring in another big outfield bat in Jim Lorenzen and 2) continue to stockpile quality young arms.

Though Keith Johnstone may have spent his minor league career gaining starting experience, I believe he will succeed more at the highest level if he was pitching 2-3 innings at a time, able to give it his all and absolutely attack the batter. As a starter, he tends to settle into the low 90's with his cutter, but if he was only having to throw for 2 or 3 innings, I trust he could raise that up to the mid-90's, making his slider and forkball devastating punch out pitches. As for Alex Leon, he profiles as a solid, reliable middle reliever, a guy who can give you 75+ innings and never really scare you, especially with his ability to keep the ball inside the park.

So, these are the reasonings behind the moves I have made. I know that you may not have wanted the new GM to come in and make some drastic trades as quickly as I did, but I believe in going in and ripping the bandaid off as quickly as possible. Build the team up in what you see and then letting the players prove to you you've chosen the right ones. And I trust my scouts and my coaches, who have given me plenty of advice throughout all three of these trades, that we have made the 2047 Tripoli Piranhas a team that is much better than their predecessors.

-- Anthony Kates
-----GM, Tripoli Piranhas
Anthony Kates
GM of the Tripoli Piranhas

"Winning isn't everything. But wanting to is." - Vince Lombardi
"Pain Heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: From the GM - 2047 #1 - Did I really let the Best walk right out the door?

Post by Fat Nige » Tue May 25, 2021 6:45 am

Good luck this year
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 am

I have hopes for Valence. He's Irish after all, like me. But I wish I had my catcher back too.
Nice write-up.
Good luck.
Last edited by scottsdale_joe on Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Post by chicoruiz » Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 am

I do like a GM who’s not afraid to make some bold moves... good luck with Lorenzen. He did a fine job for me last season in Jerusalem, but I just couldn’t figure out how to squeeze him in under the salary cap...
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Treydmarq
Ex-GM

Post by Treydmarq » Tue May 25, 2021 6:31 pm

chicoruiz wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 am
I do like a GM who’s not afraid to make some bold moves... good luck with Lorenzen. He did a fine job for me last season in Jerusalem, but I just couldn’t figure out how to squeeze him in under the salary cap...
Yeah, once I knew I was moving Best for a top arm back, I started to search the FA list for a guy who I believed would either continue to perform well in the UMEBA or who would perform better in the UMEBA than BBA, since it translates better, and Lorenzen looked like the best of the bunch that wouldn't kill the cap space I had.

I am hoping he just replicates what he did last year. If so, money well spent.
scottsdale_joe wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 am
I have hopes for Valence. He's Irish after all, like me. But It wish I had my catcher back too.
Nice write-up.
Good luck.
As an Irishman myself, I was not happy letting Valance go, but I also didn't like what he brought to the table. I think that Souza can split time behind the plate with my 34 year old I paid too much in arbitration for to combine to be a very nice backstop duo.
Fat Nige wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:45 am
Good luck this year
Thanks, I am hoping to build on the team's wild card appearance last year and push harder for a title run.
Anthony Kates

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Tue May 25, 2021 7:48 pm

Treydmarq wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 am
Though this meant trading Best, the league leader in doubles, I was okay losing his bat at the corner because of the addition of Juan Dominguez by my predecessor last season. Best's numbers overall dropped compared to his first season in UMEBA, whereas Dominguez looks like he can probably replicate about 90% of Best's production, at a quarter of the cost.

This leads us to what we gained: another bonafide young ace in Liam Dalton. Pairing Dalton with Einan gives us two of the 6 to 8 best starters in the entire league and both are workhorses that we can lean on to help carry the load when needed.
Moving on from Best was precisely why I traded for Dominguez, and I am thrilled you pulled the trigger on this. I am prone to getting sentimental and holding on to certain guys too long because they are faces of the franchise. So great job! Now the Piranhas stud rotation is even studlier!

Only problem is what to do with all the Michael Best bobbleheads stored in the stadium basement.

Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Treydmarq
Ex-GM

Post by Treydmarq » Thu May 27, 2021 3:38 am

tylertoo wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:48 pm
Treydmarq wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 am
Though this meant trading Best, the league leader in doubles, I was okay losing his bat at the corner because of the addition of Juan Dominguez by my predecessor last season. Best's numbers overall dropped compared to his first season in UMEBA, whereas Dominguez looks like he can probably replicate about 90% of Best's production, at a quarter of the cost.

This leads us to what we gained: another bonafide young ace in Liam Dalton. Pairing Dalton with Einan gives us two of the 6 to 8 best starters in the entire league and both are workhorses that we can lean on to help carry the load when needed.
Moving on from Best was precisely why I traded for Dominguez, and I am thrilled you pulled the trigger on this. I am prone to getting sentimental and holding on to certain guys too long because they are faces of the franchise. So great job! Now the Piranhas stud rotation is even studlier!

Only problem is what to do with all the Michael Best bobbleheads stored in the stadium basement.

I read the article on this trade, so I knew it was destiny to move him.

I forgot about the arm I had on the DL, so if all 3 live up to their projections.....watch out UMEBA.

Also, uh, let's not talk about what happened to those bobbleheads. I am embarrassed by what we did....even though it was childish fun :D
Anthony Kates

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Buenos Aires Brisas”