Piranha Bites: 46.07 - Bancroft Showdown: Piranhas host Divison Rival Mumbai for Four Huge Games

GM: Adam Olson

Moderator: Coliseum

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Piranha Bites: 46.07 - Bancroft Showdown: Piranhas host Divison Rival Mumbai for Four Huge Games

Post by tylertoo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Tripoli, July 1, 2046 - The battle for control of UMEBA's Bancroft Division may not be decided for some time, but tonight brings the start of a four-game series against rival Mumbai Metro Stars that is pivotal to the Piranhas' chances of staying in contention.

But you won't hear the players or coaches saying that.

"Look, I see the standings," said third baseman Michael "Neighbor" Best, "But there is also plenty of time left in the season. I know the series is important, but so is every series."

Designated Hitter José 'Butcher' Serrano echoed those sentiments, "There are ten teams in UMEBA. Every one of them is tough. We take nothing for granted."

But privately, some players admitted to a bit heightened anxiety as the series approached. "I will probably be on edge," said one regular, who asked not be named. "Those Metro Stars are tough M-Fers, and we need to be ready."

The Piranhas, 47-32, are a full four games behind the Metro Stars (53-30) in the Bancroft Division.

The Best Brothers, a group of fans who wear Michael Best masks each game.
For fans, this important series is a chance to show their love for the resurgent Piranhas. After seeing their team end 2045 a full 30 games below .500, the faithful are ecstatic that the team is in the hunt for the Bancroft title. "I can't wait," said Tripoli native Mahdi al-Harati, a season-ticket holder and president of the Best Brothers, a group of fans who dress up each game as Michael Best. "Ready for some ass kicking!"

But the pundits are not so sure. The Mumbai squad has been simply unstoppable of late, notching an amazing 20-7 record through May 29th. Their offense is led by centerfielder Weaver Ripley, acquired in an off-season trade with the Beirut Cedars, now second in the league in home runs and fourth in RBI. The Metro Stars' starting rotation is equally solid, led by 29-year old Jose Lima, an off season free agent signing, 9-4 with a 3.65 ERA and a 2.7 WAR thus far this season.

From this vantage point, this will be a tough series for the Piranhas: Mumbai is hot, is stacked, and -- oh yes, lest we forget -- they're the defending UMEBA champions. If the hometown squad can come out of this with a split, the Best Brothers and other fans should go home happy.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Return to “Buenos Aires Brisas”