7 For 70s: What Would You Say? The Top 7 DMB Ammy Creations

Wherein we celebrate our anniversary!
7teen
BBA GM

7 For 70s: What Would You Say? The Top 7 DMB Ammy Creations

Post by 7teen » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Image Unless you're a noob to the league or have been stuck under a rock all of these years, you know by now I am a pretty big fan of the Dave Matthews Band. I've gone to 32 concerts stretching from Charlottesville, Virginia to Quincy, Washington. From Noblesville, Indiana to Las Vegas, Nevada. I put the firedancer stickers on my vehicle, am a member of the fan club, and have concert posters hanging throughout my house. I even have two tattoos that are DMB themed. And just so you don't think I'm completely crazy, my wife has a pair of DMB tats as well.

As for the Brewster Baseball Association, I have brought my fondness of "The Band" over here in a variety of ways. You have the entire farm system of Madison, all named after DMB songs: Proudest Monkey, Crush, Big Eyed Fish, Ants Marching. Then in Portland, you have only the Firedancers. But then there are locations that are big in the DMB community that house these minor league teams. Quincy (home to the Gorge Amphitheater), Alpine Valley, Bend, and Charlottesville (the defacto Home of the band) are all cities that some of these farm teams call "home".

And then, there are the players! I have submitted 36 players in all over the years with a Dave Matthews Band theme*. Of the 36 names I have submitted, 4 have no record as having ever existed in the league (Mac Head, Pantalanaga Pampa, Tu Mutch, and Grasis Gonn). Three of the 36 creations are still active in the league: Sam "Oh Rye" Cop is in AAA for the Madison Wolves; Virginia "In The" Rain is also in AAA for the Wolves; and Kit "Kat" Jam is currently floundering around in the UMEBA with the Baghdad organization. Both Cop and Rain show a little ability and could possible play a little in the BBA but won't make this list in the future. Finally, nine of the players created never made it out of the minor leagues. Most got as high as AAA and one (Mina Rets) had a brief cup of coffee in the defunct EBA. That leaves 19 other guys who have made it all the way to the bigs and the focus of this 7 For 70's Piece....The top 7 DMB Players in BBA history!

#7 Alley "Gator" Pie

Position: Secondbase

Name Origin: Pie was named after the DMB song "Alligator Pie" off the album "Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King. It is the only song off of that album I have not heard live in person yet! Also, Pie was born in Louisiana, and with the French influence, it is believed that some pronounced the last name "Pee-ay" over the song title "P-eye" "Daddy when you gonna put me in a song?"

Drafted: Pie was the 3rd round pick of the Louisville Sluggers back in 2016.

Career: Pie was traded from Louisville to Madsion prior to the start of the 2018 season. In 2018, he debuted in the BBA with the Wolves and spent the next 8 seasons in Madison and with the BBA. Over his 8 year career, Pie produced a 13.4 career WAR and hit .243/.309/.375. His best season came in 2022 when he hit .274/.353/.429 (all career highs) and posted a 4.6 WAR. He also had a career best 19 homeruns and 67 RBI in that season playing for a Wolves team that finished 77-85 and in 3rd place in its division. He actually led the team that season in WAR.
Look at that baby faced, Alley Pie. Pie had a career year this season, his 5th with the Wolves organization. He played in 161 games this season. Rumors are he slept with another GM's wife or girlfriend and had to miss 1-game this season (anyone still reading this?). He logged a career high 573 at-bats over which he hit .274/.353/.429 with 19 homeruns and 67 RBI. Remember when we said it was a career year for Pie? Yeah, those were all career high numbers. His 157 hits, 73 runs scored, and 3.5 WAR were also career highs. That's What Cheesehead: 23.05
The 18-18 Madison Wolves look to be the chief beneficiary to the Yellow Springs injuries, as they would seem to be virtually unopposed for the 2020 Midwest divisional crown, and could conceivably capture it at season’s end with a sub .500 record. They have the JL’s third ranked offence, powered early in the season by Drew Zod’s team leading .318 BAAVG and 9 homeruns and 24 RBI. Second baseman Alley Pie is showing signs of becoming the player the Wolves always wanted him to be. JL Roundup: May 11, 2020

#6 J.T. Revelator

Position: Shortstop

Name Origin: J.T. Revelator is the full name of a song titled "JTR". J.T. stands for John The. The song was never a released song on an album but part of the leaked "Lillywhite Session" recordings. It's a rare song to get live these days, but oddly enough, the first song I ever got at a show back in 2010 at Riverbend in Cincinnati. "When I saw the devil and the lord both dancing arm in arm"

Drafted: Revelator was the 3rd round pick of the Carolina Kraken (Now Rockville Pikemen) back in 2016. He was selected 12 picks ahead of Pie.

Career: Revelator had a solid 14 year playing career, all with Carolina, in which he produced a career 23.8 WAR. He hit .245/.327/.372 and debuted back in 2017. He had a solid middle portion of his career in which he produced at least a 2.0 WAR for 7 seasons. He appeared in 3 all-star games (2019, 2024, 2025). His best season was probably the 2024 campaign in which he hit .278/.355/.459 with a 3.3 WAR. He was also a member of the 2020 Landis Winning Kraken!
Nah. It's not like you're going to leave Frank Thomas III out, and other than that potential faux pas (who's a bigger star than him?), I can't see anyone else who has to be on the squad. I would think you'd want J.T. Revelator as a backup infielder since he plays everywhere but I could live with him missing it. FL All Star Reserve Pleadings
Carolina is currently having a very ‘Indy-esque’ season thus far. Most (myself – and Aaron himself – included) predicted them to hover around .500 and be in the conversation for the division win in a sloping the wrong way FLM. It would be career years for most of their infield if they kept up their current pace and there is literally no way J.T. Revelator keeps himself in the league MVP discussion, but nothing else (other than Revelator) jumps out as terribly egregious over-performance. Early Underachievers and Overachievers

#5 Dan-sing Nancies

Position: Starting Pitcher

Name Origin: Nancies is named after the popular song "Dancing Nancies" from on of the "big 3 albums" Under the Table and Dreaming. This is a very popular song live and in general. And if Dave sings the lyrics of the site he is at, it gets a huge cheer. "Could I have been, lost somewhere in ____________" The studio version says Paris.

Drafted: Nancies was the 8th overall pick in round 1 by the Marquette Suns (now Omaha Hawks) in the 2011 draft.

Career: Nancies career is a rare one. Rare in the sense that he was drafted and didn't spend time in the minor leagues before debuting in the BBA. He was drafted in 2011 and made 10 starts that season, going 4-3 with a 5.14 ERA. Nancies spent 11 seasons in the BBA, posting a career 122-140 overall record and 4.48 ERA. He actually produced more WAR as a pitcher than our next guy with 26.1 and appeared in 1 All-Star game (the next guy didn't) but the next guy's career was just a little more solid in my opinion. Nancies best season was 2015 where, despite a losing record of 13-15, posted a 3.75 ERA and 4.3 WAR with the Suns. The year he made the all-star game, 2018, was the one season he spent with Greenville. He was traded around the year prior between Louisville and Marquette and went 10-1 with Louisville after the trade with a 2.48 ERA.
Actually, the team played pretty well last year, and there are actually teams in a lot worse shape than Marquette for the middle term, as once their payroll becomes manageable they’ll have some pieces to build around. Dan-sing Nancies is not a bad pitcher. 2017 Frick League Preview
Did the Suns reach for a near-ready starting pitcher here? The South Korean Nancies is a bit of an enigma after a senior season in CCAS that had talent evaluators scratching their head (ERA jumped nearly three full runs from his junior season). BABIP looked like it was the main cause (up a staggering .106 points) and he did keep a wonderful BB/K ratio intact (9 BB, 70 K in 63.2 IP, actually the best of his three college seasons). Is a 6/8/7 pitcher worth a top ten pick, though? We'll see.
Dev Rate: 90.5%
ETA: 2011 Recte looks at the 2011 ammy draft round 1

#4 Gow Cho

Position: Starting Pitcher

Name Origin: Cho is named after the song "Gaucho" off the Away From the World Album. I'm not a big fan of the song, either studio or in person. But, it made for a decent named player who ranks in as the 5th best DMB creation in the league. "Looked up and we were flying but will we not survive ourselves"

Drafted: Cho was the 1st round pick of the California Crusaders in the 2015 draft.

Career: Cho has some similarities with Nancies. It took Cho six seasons in the minors before reaching the BBA in 2021. He spent his first 7 seasons with California where he won 84 games with the Crusaders. He then won 17 games with Birmingham and then 25 more games with Las Vegas after that. When he retired in 2031, he had compiled a 126-120 overall record with a career ERA of 3.68 and a career WHIP of 1.11. His WAR added up to 25.3. He never made it to an all-star game, nor ever won a major award. His best season was in 2025 where, despite having a losing record of 13-14, did post a 2.75 ERA and 0.98 WHIP. He had a career high 191 strikeouts that season.
21. SP Gow Cho (California): We think Cho is a very nice grab near the end of the first round. Nothing about him screams star, but Cho is interesting; he’s a lefty, throws hard for a teenager and has a huge control potential. What’s odd is that his control is by far the worst part of his game right now. We wouldn’t be surprised to see Cho end up at 6 control, or bust out to some kind of Jose Aicon type player. We shall see. Analysis of the First Round of the 2015 Draft
A tough couple weeks is coming up, however, as the Crusaders will host the mighty Huntsville Phantoms four times before going on the road to face two other 2026 division winners in Las Vegas and Hawaii. "This is a critical run for our team," noted veteran hurler Gow Cho. "If we can win a couple of these upcoming series against such fine competition, it will set the tone that we are here to compete at the highest level. I'm not sure we felt like we were in the same class as those guys last year. This time around, I know we can be, we just have to prove it to everyone else." Crusaders Charge Out of the Gate

#3 Juan Sweetworld

Position: Centerfield

Name Origin: Sweetworld is named after the song "One Sweet World" off the album Remember Two Things. It's a popular song live, one the band has used as an opener for a lot of shows in recent years. "Nine Planets surround the sun, only one does the sun embrace. Around this watered one, so much we take for granted."

Drafted: Sweetworld was the 1st round pick of the Las Vegas Hustlers in the 2028 draft.

Career: Sweetworld is still an active player in the league, though be it in the minor leagues with the Boise Spuds Triple-A team. At 33, it appears his big league career is over but he had some outstanding seasons with the Hustlers after being drafted. Juan debuted as a 20 year old in 2029 with Vegas and burst onto the scene, posting a 3.8 WAR in just 91 games thanks to a .976 OPS. Expectations were tempered by a cool sophomore season, but then Sweetworld really hit his stride from 2031 to 2036 where he produced 29.4 of his 39.7 career WAR to this point. In that span, he appeared in 3 all-star games (2032, 2033, 2034). His best season was that 2032 season in which he posted a whopping 7.2 WAR and hit .327/.378/.532 with a career high 31 homeruns and 92 runs batted in. Assuming his career ends in the BBA, he still ranks 3rd on this list.
Juan Sweetworld (8/7/6/4/9 Ratings), 24. The one and only, one of the best CF in the game today. The sweet-swinging lefty can do it all, even stealing 101 bases last season (though he could stand to cut back on the caught stealing). He's a below average hitter against lefties, but with his defense he's easily a plug-and-play center fielder for as many games as his body can stand. No problems in the outfield in Vegas. 2033 Las Vegas Hustlers Preview
I'm certainly happy I stuck with Sweetworld. At one point I had resigned myself to trading him, one of those "glad I didn't do that" deals that we've all had. Twenty Somethings

#2 Hani Tinsley

Position: Relief Pitcher

Name Origin: Hani is the first guy mentioned that is not just a play off a song title. His first name "Hani" is part of a song sung during the song "Everyday". As the band begins to play, the crowd sings (and eventually Dave) "Hani, Hani, come and dance with me." There is actually some that argue it's supposed to be Honey but I'm on the Hani side. On that note, I had my wife convinced that if we ever had a daughter, I wanted her name to be Hani. His last name, Tinsley, is the last name of former violinist with the band, Boyd Tinsley. He was "let go" by the band a few years ago for "personal reasons". It sucks too because I loved the violin portions of a lot of songs and his sound is missing. But if you know the details of why he was let go it was the best. And I like the new guy who plays keys.

Drafted: Tinsley was the 1st round pick by the Atlantic City Gamblers in the 2013 draft.

Career: Tinsley had a 15 year career in the BBA, 14 of those coming with the Gamblers. He didn't produce the highest WAR of the DMB guys (he's actually 6th in that regards) with a 14.8 overall WAR, but he is the most decorated DMB created player. Hani captured 5 Frick League Egan Awards with the Gamblers over a 7 year stretch including back to back honors twice in '19-'20 and '24-'25. He was also a 5-time all-star with his first coming in 2019. He recorded 368 career saves, 367 of which came with Atlantic City. He fell two saves shy of the franchise record with Atlantic City held by Benji Madisson at 369. He had nine consecutive seasons of 30 or more saves, topping out at 50 in 2025. The 50 saves are an AC franchise high for a single season and rank tied for 8th all-time in a single season in the BBA.
In the ‘pen there is a lot of fungibility™ - like most teams – until you get to the back, which features two of the best in the ‘biz in Tinsley and Johnson. 2024 Atlantic City Gamblers

On the mound Tinsley got bitten by the BABIP monster (2.11 FIP, 3.64 ERA on a .381 BABIP) and that cost him his third straight Egan Award. He still led the FL's #2 bullpen though, converting 39 saves in the process. Boardwalk Empire - So Close Yet So Far

#1 Boyd "Two Step" Beauford and Billy "Dub Step" Beauford

Position: Rightfield and Leftfield

Name Origin: OK, let's just clear up why there are two guys here. I had created a player by the name of Boyd "Two Step" Beauford. Boyd after the aforementioned Boyd Tinsley, the violinist. The last name Beauford after the band's drummer, Carter Beauford. The nickname "Two Step" after my second favorite song by the band (I was at the show in the video). So what happened, Recte accidentally created two Boyd Beaufords in his creation process. Upon finding this out, he changed one of the "Boyd's" to "Billy" and changed his nickname to "Dub-Step". I guess unfortunately for this feature, the one who kept the DMB name didn't have as good as a career as the other, but they were always joined together.

Drafted: Boyd was a supplemental 1st round pick by Vancouver Mounties in 2005. Billy was a 1st round pick a year later in 2006 by the Montreal Blazers.

Career: Boyd's career wasn't much. He made it to the BBA in 2006 with Buffalo and spent 9 seasons in the BBA, compiling a total 5.8 WAR. His best season came in 2008 when he hit .307/.343/.426 with 7 homeruns and 58 RBI.

Billy on the other hand carried the Beauford brothers. Debuting in 2007 with the Blazers, the latter Beauford posted a 1.5 WAR in 82 games his rookie season. AFter another modest 1.6 season in 2008, he bust loose in 2009 with a .904 OPS and career best 6.4 WAR. After 9 seasons with Montreal, he joined the Madison Wolves in 2016. He put up 4 stellar seasons in Madison, posting 12.9 WAR. Billy still ranks 5th all time in Montreal history in hits and 6th in RBI. In all, he hit .309/.357/.467 for his career with a DMB best 48.4 career WAR. He ended with 2,407 career hits and was 1 RBI shy of 1,000.

The Beauford Boys combined for 4 All-Star game appearances, all 4 by Billy.
"I seriously choked on a sunflower seed" stated Billy Beauford. "No {expletive} lie. I was choking on a sunflower seed when it happened."

"I was caught between laughing and shock" said backup catcher Crash N. Thome. "I almost fell out of my crouch when it happened."

"Hey baby, that's the new Bopper Kengos!" laughed Kengos after the game.

What everyone is referencing is the wild spring contest that took place between the Wolves and Black Sox. A long, drawn out contest that took over 5 hours to play in front of less than 5,000 fans. The final tally of the game wound up being 12-11 in favor of the Wolves. The game took 14 innings to play and entered extra innings knotted at 6-6. Extra innings that were needed after the Wolves scored 2 in the home half of the 9th to force free baseball. That's What Cheesehead: 18.12
In the last series, the Bison were extatic about the successful return of Boyd 'Two Step' Beauford, who was good for eight hits, including three doubles in his first sim back from an injured bicep. If he can maintain a .905 OPS through the rest of the season, including playoffs, good things will happen for Buffalo. One Last Series to Go
Hope you enjoyed that. I did. And as the line goes in "Two Step":
"Celebrate We Will........"
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 7 For 70s: What Would You Say? The Top 7 DMB Ammy Creations

Post by jleddy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:33 pm

This is awesome! I know a lot of work went into writing it and it was well worth your time...love this! The Beauford duplication is awesome.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: 7 For 70s: What Would You Say? The Top 7 DMB Ammy Creations

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41 pm

Very cool...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “75th Anniversary Celebrations!”