Top 7 Snips from Non-Ron YS9

Wherein we celebrate our anniversary!
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Top 7 Snips from Non-Ron YS9

Post by RonCo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Top-7.png

One of the things I love the most about the BBA is that its foundation as a forum-based community allows us to go back in time. Stealing a bit from Sean on the 7-70, I thought I’d take some time and gather the 7 “best” YS9 bits that all happened pre-me, but rather than post entire segments, I’ll grab a fun part or two to highlight here. If you want the full experience, you can follow the links.

I “quoted” the best in that last paragraph because honestly it’s too hard to pick just seven. I mean, I could probably do a “best” of each of the GMs who came before me. I mean, Stu alone can go on and on, and Nigel and Mike and Tim and … well, let’s just say that reading over these when I first came into the GM seat was fantastic fun, and even more so this time. I mean, there’s history here.

Still, I had to leave a lot out. That’s the thing when you’re trying to pick seven things out of something like 12 pages of posts that span nearly 30 seasons.

Regardless, I pared the best seven down to the seven that made me feel the most, or I guess maybe felt the most like the guys making the post. Which seemed about right.

Without further fanfare

#7: Diversity Day?

You know we had to have something from Avery, right? And it might as well be here right off the bat. Avery Crebel was my direct predecessor, and had a bit of a wild ride. There’s a flavor to his work on the site. Some say it might even remind them of Al Hoot. Who am I to say?

All I know for sure is that reading his stuff is interesting. Hard at times, but there right in the middle of some basic recitation will pop up something that makes you laugh out loud.

Like this one, that actually has a couple of them.
Off Topic
Date: 8/18/2012
BBA Year: 2022
FULL LINK

There is one coach making $4M a year through 2023 and I can't wait to get him off the payroll. Maybe I'll just fire his ass now, except he highly rated. He is 71. Owners die. Why won't this coach kick the buckett?
Avery led the team for three seasons, during which they posted an astounding 168-314 record (which included a tank-tastic 39 win season that one could argue much of our surge was predicated on.

#6: Bieschke changing his tune?

Mike Bieschke’s time at the helm of the franchise started with fanfare, and lasted a bit over a decade. Unfortunately it seems to have also resulted in several changes of plans. Mike brought the team to the edge of prosperity, winning 93 games in 2007, and finishing second in the division several times.

What I love about this little snippet is that dry sense of self-awareness it almost has.
Off Topic
Date: 1/5/2012
BBA Year: 2003
FULL LINK

"To say I'm disappointed by the start is an understatement. When I first arrived, I genuinely felt that this team was ready to take the next step and maybe contend for the Wild Card. After reading Moneyball again, maybe that just isn't the case. Maybe it is time to blow things up. Something has to change".
As an aside, Mike’s thread of commentary over several posts about him being qualified to run his team because he’d read Moneyball were like little Easter eggs. It’s fun watching a guy enjoy himself, eh? Well … um … hmmm.

Never mind.

#5: Shaking up the talentless Talons

There’s this thing when you’re writing—this rule of thumb that says you need to find an opening that brings the reader right into the page …

It’s 2001, and the Nine/Talons are struggling. They reach out to our own indefatigable Nigel Laverick for guidance, and upon his first days he pens this little piece of perfection that captures the essence of stepping into a BBA disaster zone.
Off Topic
Date: 7/23/2011
BBA Year: 2001
FULL LINK

I could tell as soon as I entered the GM’s office that this franchise had been unloved for some time. Everywhere smelt musty, everywhere was dust and signs of abandonment.

I looked through the organisational charts and the same signs flowed through them. The depth charts were missing and it pretty much looked as if the farm teams had gone their own ways
Nigel was at the helm for two seasons, winning 77, then 86 games.

#4: Return of the Genius

Perhaps you knew that the Genius was in the franchise’s GM seat at the beginning of modern times, or perhaps not. Regardless, he held the seat for a season, then stepped aside for whatever reason (I like to spend time imagining him off in a dystopian romp through the Caribbean). Regardless, though, after a season of respite in which Jason Pope won 80 games, Stu, Jonesing for some fake baseball…or maybe something else, returned in the way that perhaps only the Genius can return…
Off Topic
Date: 9/15/2010
BBA Year: 1997
FULL LINK

"That's right bitches, I'm back!"

. . .

"When I go to ball games, I look for one thing, and one thing only - sexy bitches."GM Hopkins confirmed,"There is always sexy bitches in the stands, always. Consequently, I miss large parts of the game...look there's one now. Oooh, and there's another. God, I love the desert."
Yeah, I can’t wait to get Stu back again, either….

All total he led the Talons/Nine for five seasons and posted a 345-465 record with the franchise. Some groups, it seems, even the Genius can’t kickstart.

#3: The Move

The arrival of Tim Meseck into the GM’s seat for 2013 brought the seismic change of scenery to the franchise as he moved it from Phoenix to cozy little Yellow Springs. I loved this post because it gives a bit of history, as well as feels like Tim’s mission statement toward the league as a whole. I want to be a longtime GM around here, and the sense of place and history here make me happy.
Off Topic
Date: 1/3/2014
BBA Year: 2013
FULL LINK

Yellow Springs, OH (AP) – The little known town of Yellow Springs is relevant once again in the world of baseball.
Though his overall winning rate was .492 with the Nine, the team actually won for a bit under Tim. They went to the post season three times, and lost in the Landis to New Orleans in 2019.

Sound familiar?

Sigh.

#2: I am Smelling like a Rose that somebody…

Some things from Stu just have to be experienced. This is one of them.
Off Topic
Date: 10/25/2010
BBA Year: 1997
FULL LINK

GM Hopkins was less forthcoming on the matter of the Talon's won-loss record, a disappointing 58-78, this from a team who just missed out on the playoffs in the final week, a season ago.

. . .

But he was quite effusive about his plans to commission a bronze statue to be placed outside the main gates of the Chavez Memorial Park next season.

"There are two design finalists,"Hopkins admitted,"The first one shows me benevolently patting a grateful kneeling Schiraldi on the head,as he presents up to me his glove and ball; and the other design depicts me, shoving a dildo, shaped like McKinley Washington's head, far up a squealing lchronister's, (Grenville GM), ass. You can't really go wrong with either design."
And finally…

#1: Post #1

Could there be any other?

I mean, really.

No list of non-Ron posts would be complete without the first ever non-Ron YS9 TN which, as fate would have it, came from the Genius himself. The club was planted in Phoenix at the time, and Stu was fighting his way to whatever level of respectability he could climb his way to—which, let’s face it, for Stu is not particularly high but always entertaining. Even at this point, though, the level of Stu-ness that was to come was already obvious.
Off Topic
Date: 5/13/2010
BBA Year: 1995
FULL LINK

GM Hopkins broke his long MBBA silence to announce an earth-shattering trade today...Ace AAA pitcher Mike McGrevey has been sent to the Midwest pennant chasing Des Moines Kernels in return for top outfielding prospect Junior Felix and a fourth round pick in the 1996 draft.

"There's no such thing as a minor deal,"announced Hopkins,"It takes as much guts to pull the trigger on that small deal as it does the big ones."

"I never liked McGrevey anyway...now I gotta get somebody to take freakin' JFK Jr. off of my hands."
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo

Re: Top 7 Snips from Non-Ron YS9

Post by RonCo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:41 pm

Dang...had to fix Avery's bit. :)
Roster

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Let us not forget the Godfather of the (pre Brewster) Yellow Springs Nine, the GBC's own Eric Ramon!
GM, 2051 and 2053 JL 4TH WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2056)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:48 pm

jiminyhopkins wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 pm
Let us not forget the Godfather of the (pre Brewster) Yellow Springs Nine, the GBC's own Eric Ramon!
Eric Ramon!! The man who mentored me through my early GBC days. And yes, the original YS Nine owner. Sorry Ron!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Not a problem at all. One reason I listed Tim's post was that it included Eric and the root of the franchise.
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:09 pm

I think Recte tried to get Eric to join one of these OOTP leagues. If memory recalls, he joined very shortly and left. Just preferred FPS.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96

Madison Wolves 99-2039

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 pm

I would give him back YS if he wanted to come back. :)

Just sayin'
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 pm

Like some of you other GBC vets I'm sure, I spent many hours over the years chatting with Eric Ramon on AIM. I especially got to know him when I took over the offseason management of both leagues, as I had to coordinate the multiple decompiles and recompiles of the game code it took at the end to get the game to continue working. He was the GBC Prime commish at that time (he was actually the prime commish for many years). My favorite story about him is when he said he would have to step down as the commish, because his wife had pressured him to finally stop renting the office space he ran his business from. While cleaning it out, she noted that he had a rickety old windows 95 pc for some reason. "Yes honey, that's just been sitting there. I suppose I should get rid of it."

He couldn't tell his wife he'd been using the PC to be the commissioner of a fantasy baseball league for more than five real life years (it might have been closer to ten), because apparently he wasn't supposed to be playing fantasy sports. This was also the only reason he maintained the office, instead of just running his business from home. I had no idea any of that was going on. For years. Ramon was such an honest, outstanding person that it never occurred to me he could be engaged in any shenanigans. I'm not sure I have all of that exactly right, but the general picture is.

Also, Eric is left handed and Glen Groves was his favorite player, closely followed by a pitcher whose name I can't remember.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm

He had to keep that computer because newer ones wouldn’t run FPS if I recall.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96

Madison Wolves 99-2039

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 pm

7teen wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm
He had to keep that computer because newer ones wouldn’t run FPS if I recall.
I had one until I moved to start my residency in 2011. Finally threw it out at that point. Always planned to pull the FPS data off it but never got around to it.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 pm

I am totally thrilled. Thanks Ted.
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 pm
Like some of you other GBC vets I'm sure, I spent many hours over the years chatting with Eric Ramon on AIM. I especially got to know him when I took over the offseason management of both leagues, as I had to coordinate the multiple decompiles and recompiles of the game code it took at the end to get the game to continue working. He was the GBC Prime commish at that time (he was actually the prime commish for many years). My favorite story about him is when he said he would have to step down as the commish, because his wife had pressured him to finally stop renting the office space he ran his business from. While cleaning it out, she noted that he had a rickety old windows 95 pc for some reason. "Yes honey, that's just been sitting there. I suppose I should get rid of it."

He couldn't tell his wife he'd been using the PC to be the commissioner of a fantasy baseball league for more than five real life years (it might have been closer to ten), because apparently he wasn't supposed to be playing fantasy sports. This was also the only reason he maintained the office, instead of just running his business from home. I had no idea any of that was going on. For years. Ramon was such an honest, outstanding person that it never occurred to me he could be engaged in any shenanigans. I'm not sure I have all of that exactly right, but the general picture is.

Also, Eric is left handed and Glen Groves was his favorite player, closely followed by a pitcher whose name I can't remember.
I'll never tire of hearing this story. Thanks Ted!
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:13 pm

#5 is my favorite with walking into the musty smell and the farm teams going in their own directions. That was an entertaining read.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:59 am

#2 was my fav..i laughed out loud...wife was like what are you reading...

Ahhh FPS - i loved that game. I should dig out the box from my parents house of all my old computer shit. I Still have a copy of Wing Commander in there if i recall...

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:00 am

Hmmmm looks like according to Teds sig Cali still has a silent partner behind the curtains 🤔😜

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “75th Anniversary Celebrations!”