GM: Mark Ridings

Moderator: MarkRidings

Clayman
Ex-GM

Blue & White April. Cairo Special 2042

Post by Clayman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:44 am

Athens Fighting Centaurs (6-3)
Cairo Chariot Archers BC (2-6)
Saturday 12th 7-2, Sunday 13th 3-4, Monday 14th 3-6.

G-Men Combine For Win

Gibson & Gomez or the G-Men as their teammates affectionately called them after a 7-2 win over Cairo, Gibson provided the pitching, Gomez the hitting. Gibson pitched 7 innings of shut out baseball, both Cairo runs being unearned which gave the Athens pitcher the player of the game award. The young Gomez came through with 3 hits, 2 rbi and 2 runs to enhance his reputation since he was brought up from AAA just a short time ago.

Pond Sinks Centaurs

The Centaurs nearly pulled a win out of the bag that would have stretched their win streak to 4, sadly it wasn't to be. Juan Pagan looked comfortable before and after the third inning, take away that third inning where Cairo scored 3 runs and it was a calm and cool performance by the Venezuela native. The same couldn't be said for Fraser Pond the Cairo starting pitcher was calm and cool throughout his 7 innings, even when Arbizo and Barajas combined a single and a double for the Centaurs first run he shook it off and took back control. Athens did make a comeback in the 9th making it 3-4 but they fell just short with that being the final score.

'Fraser Pond'

He's never the first to the ballpark, even when he's starting he's never the first. However when he pitches he's always last out of the locker room.

"I always try to gather my thoughts, if I've pitched well or pitched a shocker I try to pick the good and bad points out of my performance. Stat wise you can pitch a perfect game, performance wise you can never pitch a perfect game, that's my view anyway". Fraser Pond, Cairo Chariot Archers BC, starting pitcher.

"He's got an old head on young shoulders, I had 11 years in the BBA. I may have watched better pitchers at his age but not one had the knowledge and maturity he does, maybe Mauro Flores when I was at Valencia but I can't think of others". Bill Welsh Cairo Chariot Archers BC, manager.

Fraser Pond made his major league debut against the Baghdad Kings, solid not spectacular the press called it. 7 innings giving up 3 runs on 5 hits a win nonetheless. Early in the season was it a case of a pitcher being ready and hitters still not warmed up, maybe a lineup seeing a pitcher for the first time only time would tell.

That time would come against the Athens Fighting Centaurs, Athens came into the game on a hot streak, a 7-3 record having beaten Cairo 7-2 the previous day, the young gun would have to pitch better than he did against the Kings or Athens would be going to 8-3. Well he went to "solid" and ramped it up to great, a line up that was averaging over 5 runs a game was shut down to 1 run by a 22 year old rookie, a rookie who was playing in double A ball a year ago.

"It was beautiful to watch, you get to a stage in a game when your a fielder and your pitchers on his game it's a joy to watch". Piero Richelmi Cairo Chariot Archers BC, shortstop.

Ponds line against Athens 7 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 run and 6 strike outs. It may not be perfect, he definitely wouldn't call it perfect but as he sat alone in that locker room I doubt he found many bad things in his performance.

Meyer Meltdown

It felt like a comfortable win, it should have been a comfortable win. 3-0 up in the second, even when Cairo tied it in the 6th you always felt a win was on the cards for the Centaurs that was until Stanley Meyer came into the game. "I felt good in the pen, I felt good running to the mound even giving up the single to Richmeli didn't get to me, for some reason and don't ask me why but it was him stealing second that got to me". 3 runs later and Meyer was pulled from the game which ended 6-3 to Cairo, Athens mentality is all about team as was shown by Chip Saunders "Don't be going blaming Stan for this defeat, if we'd scored 7 we'd have won, the whole team lost, nobody and I mean nobody feels worse than Stan does but I told him it's a team loss same when we win, it's a team win."
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2051 75-87
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2049 72-81
Valencia Stars 2045-2047 185-301
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2042-2043 112-118
Cairo Chariot Archers BC 2041 8-5

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Blue & White April. Cairo Special 2042

Post by jleddy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:37 am

Nice quote using the league history with Welsh!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:28 am

jleddy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:37 am
Nice quote using the league history with Welsh!
Thank you.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Agreed, that was a great quote from Welsh...who Cairo owner Ryan Bond really wants to fire, but I'm trying to evade that assignment.

How did you think to mention Flores?

Things haven't been going the Chariot Archers' way the past couple of sims with sliding down from second place to third in the Burt. But without Fraser Pond, Cairo would likely be in fourth place. Pond is the team's MVP so far this year.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:41 am

johnd2442 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:38 pm
Agreed, that was a great quote from Welsh...who Cairo owner Ryan Bond really wants to fire, but I'm trying to evade that assignment.

How did you think to mention Flores?

Things haven't been going the Chariot Archers' way the past couple of sims with sliding down from second place to third in the Burt. But without Fraser Pond, Cairo would likely be in fourth place. Pond is the team's MVP so far this year.
All about lists, if their face fits and what story pops into my head first. Pond wasn't the only Cairo player I'd thought of, Clarke was the other. Same with Flores, I looked at where Welsh had been in his career, once Pond was picked it was a matter of picking a pitcher to compare him to. I felt they were a good comparison.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Athens Fighting Centaurs”