Morning Wood - 58.15 - Moment of the Sim; Sim 2

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Morning Wood - 58.15 - Moment of the Sim; Sim 2

Post by 7teen » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:12 pm

Things are looking pretty dismal already for the 2058 season. A 2-4 run now has the Lumberjacks sitting at a Frick worst 3-9 overall. Our pythag suggests we should have a better record. Our roster on paper looks like we should be better. Our eyes suggest we’re probably right where we are. But enough about the state of the team. This team news is about the top moment of sim 2…..

Kate’s Kookies Moment of the Sim

Greg Squires entered the 2058 season unsure where he’d end up. Still in his teens (He’s just 19), he fully expected to start the year in the minor leagues with hopes of making it to the big leagues at some point during the season. It was only natural to think this since he hadn’t made it to Triple-A yet. Yeah, he had a good spring and heard rumors that there was a very good chance he’d make the roster and possibly be a starter in the OF this season. But reality told him that wasn’t likely to start the season. As unlikely as it sounded, it became a reality for the former 12th overall pick from Sexsmith, Alberta.

Squires is batting just .225 at the early juncture of the season but does have a nice .340 on base percentage and a .450 slugging. Mixed in with above average defense in the corner outfield and we have a nice, young, cheap player who is considered above average. But yet again, we digress.

Our moment of the sim this week came in a losing effort. Friday night in Sacramento the Lumberjacks were handed another loss, this time an 11-8 defeat to the Mad Popes. With his team trailing 8-4 in the 7th inning, Squires strolled to the plate. He was already 0-3 on the night and came to the bat with an out on the board. Alvin Conley singled in the previous at-bat and Edward Roundfield had homered to cut the deficit to 8-5. Squires swung and missed at the first Angus Trew offering and fell behind 0-1. But Squires connected on the second pitch. He sent a drive deep to left field that traveled 391 feet and gone. The home run was Squires’ first of his professional career.

“You’ll always remember your first” commented Squires after the game. “I’ll remember because I didn’t think it was gone and ran hard out of the box. I was halfway to second before I realized it was gone.”

The ball was caught by a MadPopes fan who graciously exchanged it for a photo opportunity and an autograph with Squires. “Who knew people in Sacramento could be so gracious” added General Manager Chris Wilson after the game. “Of course, I have a lot in common with these fans in Sacramento.” He concluded his statement with a middle finger, the universal salute of the “Fire Shoeless” movement.

Squires didn’t wait long for his second home run. The following night Squires hit a 2-run shot in the 9th inning and prevented the Lumberjacks from being shutout.

And Squires’ first career home run is your KATE’S KOOKIES MOMENT OF THE SIM for sim number 2.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50