Hold My Log - 54.03 - Donadoni Wins Top Hitter, then Departs

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 54.03 - Donadoni Wins Top Hitter, then Departs

Post by 7teen » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm

In my final fluff piece of the off-season (hey, I had a snow day today and didn't have much to do so I cranked out 3 articles so far. Yay me!), we'll highlight the winner of the team's top hitter award. Before I get into that though, what is a good time frame for naming these awards? In Madison, I named these awards after players. Portland now has 14 seasons under it's belt. Is it still too soon to assign names to these awards? I'm thinking it is still early. Some of the pitchers I have likely need to have the award named for them somewhere down the line. Right? The rookie award though, that should be named by this point. 14 seasons of rookies is enough time to dedicate the award to one of them. Or perhaps I just go back to the inaugural 2040 season and name the awards after the first recipient. I don't know. I digressed heavily here to add length and volume to this team article. And hey, we all know Kate likes length and volume.

Oh yeah, the top hitter award. It goes to Carlomaria Donadoni. He led the team with a 2.7 WAR and also led the team with an .876 OPS. So yeah, pretty much a no brainer. Of course he also led the team in homeruns with 32 and RBI with 106. So yeah, easy choice. It was close to his 2nd straight honor had he not narrowly lost to Jiao-long Ma last season. Donadoni played in a team high 157 games this season as well and led the team with 187 hits and 91 runs scored.

Unfortunately for Portland, Donadoni's 4 year free agent contract signed before the 2052 season had an opt-out clause after this season. After back to back superb seasons in Portland, the star first baseman chose to opt-out of the remaining two years of the deal and test free agency. He was slated to make roughly $12 million a year over the next two seasons in Portland. He's projected to get a slight pay increase in free agency this off-season, despite a loaded free agent class at 1B.

Donadoni collected 3 major milestones this past season in Portland. Back in June he belted his 400th career homerun. He followed that up in September with his 1,000th career run scored and his 2,000th career base hit.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50