Hold My Log - 53.06 - Maybe This is How it Happened

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 53.06 - Maybe This is How it Happened

Post by 7teen » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:26 pm

(DISCLAIMER.... SCROLL WITH CAUTION....)

Kate lies in bed, the phone rings.

"Where are you" the voice on the other end asks?

"I came back home for a few days" Kate responds. "To see some of the family. I didn't make it in for the holidays, the Shrimpton family wanted to see me so I came home" Kate says, slightly out of breath.

"You went back to Madison" the voice asks? "Why?"

"Chris, I still have family ties here. People to see" Kate responds.

"Why are you breathing so hard?" a voice groans in the background. "You with someone" Chris asks.

"I'll be back before spring training. Bids are in for free agency. I think we'll get a good haul this week. Team should be in shape. See you in a few days."

Kate rolls back over and puts her arm around the figure in bed with her. As she snuggles up to the figure, the phone rings. Though this time, it isn't her's.

"For christ's sake" Kate grumbles.

"That's mine, isn't it" the groggy voice in the bed says. The man leans over and picks up the phone "Hello?" pause. "Yeah, I still do some of that." Pause. "Today?" Pause. "It's February!? It's cold" Pause. "I understand that. Yeah, sure. I'll be over in a bit."

The man rolls over. "I gotta go"

"Who was that" Kate asks?

"An old friend of mine. The ball team here just signed him. Was with some team out west before. He just rented a house for the season. Needs some help with the roof. Sorry, I gotta go. Thanks for last night. Was just like old times back at the bar. He leans over, kisses Kate on the cheek, gets dressed, and leaves.

Kate just sits in bed, trying to wrap her head around the fact a man just left her in bed. She's flabergasted but grabs her cell phone and begins browsing. The room is still dark but she lays there on her phone. Checks the weather. Checks the baseball reports. Clicks over to Madison and sees the team just signed Smiley from Valencia. She begins to put two and two together. She dials a number. "Hey Mick, what time we eating dinner today" she asks Mick Shrimpton, Jr. Former team owner and uncle to Kate. For the long term around here and may have forgotten, Mick's father, Mick Sr. was Kate's grandfather and former owner of the team when Kate was hired as team secretary. Yeah, back read some fellas! "Ok, sounds good. I'll see you guys then. And oh, hey, Mick, one more question. I have some errands to run and was gonna swing by and see a baseball player and welcome him to Madison. Smiley. Just signed with the Wolves. Where might he live? You know?" She gets out a pen and writes down an address. "Sounds good Mick. See you guys evening."

She scrolls back to her phone and checks the weather one more time. "Yeah, good day for a run"

Kate hops in her car and drives down a block from Smiley's house and jogs down the sidewalk. She finds the house.

"Kate, is that you!?" the man from earlier asks

"Holy shit" Smiley yells as he stares down the street.

Kate jogs by, waves at the fellas on the roof when suddenly she sees Smiley slip. Kate stops dead in her tracks as she watches the new Madison free agent slide off the backside of his two story roof. The other man, who was referred to just as "a friend" turns back in horror as he watches Smiley slide off the roof. Kate stops and watches. The man turns to Kate, turns back to Smiley, and goes to help his friend.

Kate shrugs, heads back to her car, goes to the family function, then flies back to Portland.

The next morning she returns to the office.

"Did you hear what happened" Chris asks when she arrives. "Jacob Smiley fell of his roof and nearly died. They think he's going to make it but he's seriously injured. He may never play baseball again."

Kate offers a shy grin. "Yeah, I heard. I guess I still got it!"
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: Hold My Log - 53.06 - Maybe This is How it Happened

Post by bschr682 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:33 pm

Well played sir
GM Vancouver Mounties

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 pm

7teen wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:26 pm
(DISCLAIMER.... SCROLL WITH CAUTION....)

Kate lies in bed, the phone rings.

"Where are you" the voice on the other end asks?

"I came back home for a few days" Kate responds. "To see some of the family. I didn't make it in for the holidays, the Shrimpton family wanted to see me so I came home" Kate says, slightly out of breath.

"You went back to Madison" the voice asks? "Why?"

"Chris, I still have family ties here. People to see" Kate responds.

"Why are you breathing so hard?" a voice groans in the background. "You with someone" Chris asks.

"I'll be back before spring training. Bids are in for free agency. I think we'll get a good haul this week. Team should be in shape. See you in a few days."

Kate rolls back over and puts her arm around the figure in bed with her. As she snuggles up to the figure, the phone rings. Though this time, it isn't her's.

"For christ's sake" Kate grumbles.

"That's mine, isn't it" the groggy voice in the bed says. The man leans over and picks up the phone "Hello?" pause. "Yeah, I still do some of that." Pause. "Today?" Pause. "It's February!? It's cold" Pause. "I understand that. Yeah, sure. I'll be over in a bit."

The man rolls over. "I gotta go"

"Who was that" Kate asks?

"An old friend of mine. The ball team here just signed him. Was with some team out west before. He just rented a house for the season. Needs some help with the roof. Sorry, I gotta go. Thanks for last night. Was just like old times back at the bar. He leans over, kisses Kate on the cheek, gets dressed, and leaves.

Kate just sits in bed, trying to wrap her head around the fact a man just left her in bed. She's flabergasted but grabs her cell phone and begins browsing. The room is still dark but she lays there on her phone. Checks the weather. Checks the baseball reports. Clicks over to Madison and sees the team just signed Smiley from Valencia. She begins to put two and two together. She dials a number. "Hey Mick, what time we eating dinner today" she asks Mick Shrimpton, Jr. Former team owner and uncle to Kate. For the long term around her, Mick's father, Mick Sr. was Kate's grandfather and former owner of the team when Kate was hired as team secretary. Yeah, back read some fellas! "Ok, sounds good. I'll see you guys then. And oh, hey, Mick, one more question. I have some errands to run and was gonna swing by and see a baseball player and welcome him to Madison. Smiley. Just signed with the Wolves. Where might he live? You know?" She gets out a pen and writes down an address. "Sounds good Mick. See you guys evening."

She scrolls back to her phone and checks the weather one more time. "Yeah, good day for a run"

Kate hops in her car and drives down a block from Smiley's house and jogs down the sidewalk. She finds the house.

"Kate, is that you!?" the man from earlier asks

"Holy shit" Smiley yells as he stares down the street.

Kate jogs by, waves at the fellas on the roof when suddenly she sees Smiley slip. Kate stops dead in her tracks as she watches the new Madison free agent slide off the backside of his two story roof. The other man, who was referred to just as "a friend" turns back in horror as he watches Smiley slide off the roof. Kate stops and watches. The man turns to Kate, turns back to Smiley, and goes to help his friend.

Kate shrugs, heads back to her car, goes to the family function, then flies back to Portland.

The next morning she flies back to Portland and returns to the office.

"Did you hear what happened" Chris asks when she arrives. "Jacob Smiley fell of his roof and nearly died. They think he's going to make it but he's seriously injured. He may never play baseball again."

Kate offers a shy grin. "Yeah, I heard. I guess I still got it!"
I automatically scrolled eagerly. Didn’t read the post but bet it was goodp
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:20 pm

Too bad she wasn't closer to the house. He would of bounced off those fun bags!
ImageImageImageImageImage

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:12 pm

Thanks for keeping us abreast of happenings in Portland.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”