Hold My Log - 53.02 - Sosa Takes Home Reliever Award

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 53.02 - Sosa Takes Home Reliever Award

Post by 7teen » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:02 am

He'll be a one and done player for Portland, but that was all he was intended to be. He was signed to fill the void left by the departed Lorenzo de'Medici and he did so in fine fashion. Gilberto Sosa took his 1-year contract with Portland, won the team's top reliever award, and parlayed that this off-season into a higher paying deal with the Brooklyn Robins.

Last season with the Lumberjacks, Sosa appeared in 64 games that resulted in him tallying 91.1 innings pitched, the second most of any of our relievers behind only Xuan Ngo who pitched in 100.1 innings. In that span, Sosa posted a 5-4 record with a team high 21 saves. He had a 2.27 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 1.1 WAR while striking out 71 batters. His 21 saves were tied for the 4th most in team history and was actually enough to rank him 10th on the all-time saves leaderboard (it's easy to see the Save stat isn't one we pride ourselves on here in Portland)

"I enjoyed my season in Portland" commented Sosa after recent news about his signing with the Robins. "I'm glad we were able to make it to the post-season and have a successful season."

"Sosa was a huge piece of our team" added Kate Fiscus. "I don't think we make it back to the post-season without him solidifying our bullpen. We hate to lose him, but paying a reliever the amount he was asking in today's economic climate just wasn't a smart business move on our part. We think we can mix and max a few pieces together for what Sosa was asking for."

Sosa is the first reliever not named Martinez or de' Medici to win the team Reliever award since 2045 when Faical Engeitado won the honor. Engeitado was an outfielder on last year's River Monsters squad and is now playing OF in the GBC.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50