Hold My Log - 53.01 - Rosales Claims Top Rookie Honors

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 53.01 - Rosales Claims Top Rookie Honors

Post by 7teen » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:42 am

It wasn't a banner year for Portland rookies in 2052, granted the team did give regular playing time to a trio of players who made their debuts in 2052. The club had really hoped that former 1st round pick Cernunnos Haberknuckle was going to be the guy that could fill the SS void on this team for years to come. However a negative WAR in his professional debut has the team thinking he's likely a bust and not the guy. Another 1st round pick, Gabriel Bray did show signs of being a respectable reliever and likely earned more looks in the upcoming season after appearing in 47 games in 2052 and posting a 3.40 ERA and a respectable 0.4 WAR out of the pen.

But neither of those guys was quite as good as converted reliever Patrick Rosales. Rosales appeared in 71 games last season, compiling a 5-5 overall record with 7 saves. He logged 91.2 innings this year as a rookie, posting a 3.53 earned run average and 1.35 WHIP. He struck out 98 batters while posting a solid 0.9 WAR.

"The decision to abandon the idea of being a starter and converting to just a relief role probably salvaged my career" commented Rosales late in the season. "I don't think I would have ever been a successful pitcher in the BBA as a starter."

"Rosales had his ups and downs in the minor leagues as a starter" commented team assistant GM Kate Fiscus. "We always wanted him to be a starter but it just wasn't working out. He wanted to be a starter. It was a difficult conversation to have, especially for a 26 year old guy who still hadn't cracked into the big leagues. But he and we were at the point that we had to examine what he wanted out of the rest of his career. And we all agreed, dropping some of his repertoire and focusing on the bullpen may be the ticket. And so far, it seems to be paying off."

Rosales is the first relief pitcher to win the team's top rookie honor. He is the 6th pitcher to claim the award.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50