Hold My Log - 51.21 - Portland Clinches, Eyes Pacific

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 51.21 - Portland Clinches, Eyes Pacific

Post by 7teen » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:39 am

With Des Moines' 6-5 loss last Friday to the Louisville Sluggers, the Portland Lumberjacks clinched their 3rd consecutive trip to the Brewster Baseball League post-season. The Lumberjacks found out their fate late in the 1st inning that night in their own 6-5 extra inning loss to the Long Beach Surfers. With a magic number of 1 to clinch a spot in the post-season, the Lumberjacks only needed a win or a Kernels loss to clinch a spot.

"We're happy to be going back to the post-season" commented pitcher Felix Vidaca following the game against Long Beach. "It's not easy making it to the post-season and to have been a part of a team that will now make it three straight trips is great. I only wish we could have hung on to this one tonight. We want more than just a trip to the post-season. We want the division. And a Brewster title!"

The win, while clinching at least a wild card spot for the Lumberjacks, does not clinch the Pacific Division crown. A 2-4 week kept the division up for grabs with Sacramento closing the gap on Portland. With 8 games remaining on the schedule, the Lumberjacks cling to a 3-game lead over the Mad Popes with a magic number of 6. A combination of 6 wins by Portland or 6 losses by Sacramento will sew up the division for the 2nd consecutive year for the Lumberjacks.

"Clearly you want to win the division" said outfielder Jeffrey Smith. "I know cases can be made for not wanting the break. Keep playing baseball, stay fresh and in the zone. That sort of thing. Heck 2 years ago we squeaked in as the final wild card, had to play our way through the post-season, and made it to the Landis. Then last year we got the bye and was bounced in our first series. It's the nature of the post-season. But still, it's a feather in your cap when you can say you won the toughest division in the league, the Pacific. And then you try and fight your way through the crap-shoot that is the post-season to win the Landis. We're excited about the post-season spot, but our work isn't done in the regular season."

Portland kicks off play tonight with their final regular season game against Sacramento. A win in that game could really bolster the team's odds at the division. A loss makes things interesting for Portland as they travel to Valencia and then the final series of the year in Vancouver. The Mad Popes also take on Vancouver before concluding regular season play with San Fernando.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50