Hold My Log - 51.18 - Zalapa Showing He's Not Finished Yet

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 51.18 - Zalapa Showing He's Not Finished Yet

Post by 7teen » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:27 am

It was regarded as one of the worst free agent moves of the off-season. A free agent pool loaded with 2B/3B types, why would someone spend that much money on an aging veteran who was on the decline? That's what the critics were saying when Portland inked 35 year old infielder and future hall of famer Angel Zalapa to a contract this past off-season. Looking for a way to replace Alex Ramirez in the lineup, the front office felt they needed to make a big splash. And never shying away from making that splash, Portland brought in Zalapa. The move has paid off.

Over the past 10 games alone, Zalapa has hit 18 for 44 which has included 5 homeruns, 8 walks, 16 RBI, and 9 runs scored. And that's just a small sampling of the season Angel has had in 2051. After posting a 6.1 WAR in 2048, the veteran has watched his numbers decline down to 2.5 in 2049 and all the way down to 1.6 a season ago.

"I wasn't playing well the last few years" said Zalapa in an interview recently. "I knew I was still a good player and I've used this year to go out and show it."

And show it he has. With Portland this season, Zalapa has found a renewed interest in the game. His .884 OPS is the highest since 2041 when he was with Valencia. With 3 weeks still remaining, he's posted a 4.7 WAR and rapidly approaching 5.0. Aside from that 2048 season, a 5 WAR year is something Zalapa also hasn't seen since Valencia. The man who eclipsed the 500 homerun barrier earlier this season, has seen a reviving of his power stroke and run producing ability. His 38 homeruns are the most since 2043 and he's on pace to produce more RBI than he has in well over a decade.

"It's amazing what he's done for us this year" commented manager Grux King. "The amount of runs and RBI he's been able to produce, and mainly from the leadoff spot, has been pretty amazing. I mean, we've had some great production from guys up and down our lineup, but the addition of Angel this off-season has definitely been a huge shot in the arm. I don't hesitate to say that without Angel this year, we aren't a contender for the division!"

Zalapa is 2nd on the team in most offensive stats for Portland this season, trailing only Ernest McBride in most categories.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50