Hold My Log - 49.18 - Lumberjacks Buyout Sparks' Arb Years

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 49.18 - Lumberjacks Buyout Sparks' Arb Years

Post by 7teen » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:20 am

There will be lawyers involved. No proceedings. No good talk/bad talk between player and team when it comes to the next three years of Ken Sparks' time with the Portland Lumberjacks. The team and Sparks' agent announced this week that the two sides of reached an agreement for the next three years that will allow both sides the avoid arbitration hearings and meetings and pay Sparks a nice salary during that time.

"We are pleased that Ken was willing to sit down with us and allow us to broker a deal that would prevent arbitration" commented team assistant GM Kate Fiscus. "It's something we are looking to do with several of our younger players. By reaching some early deals, it allows us to know what our financial situation is for down the road and eliminate any surprise boosts to our players' salaries. We think the agreement we worked out with Ken is fair on both sides."

Sparks, who is still working under his rookie contract of $500,000, will receive a hefty pay raise of the next 3 seasons. The former Gillstrom Award winner who has posted back to back 5.2 WAR seasons, will make $4 million in 2050 and see that salary increase by $2 million each of the next two seasons for an AAV of $6 million for the next 3 years with Portland.

"I may have given up a little here and there but got a little more in places as well" commented Ken on the deal. "I'm happy here in Portland and think we have a team that can make some noise in the Pacific and hopefully post-season in the near future. If it helps to organization to have my salary figure locked in for planning purposes then all the better."

The 23 year old Sparks is currently 1-1 with a 2.95 ERA in 3 starts this season.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50