We Got Wood - 48.13 - "Would You Not Like to Be...

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 48.13 - "Would You Not Like to Be...

Post by 7teen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:25 am

Sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free?"

That's where Portland remains after completing a modest 3-3 sim this week with games against Madison, Hawaii, and Sacramento. Some feared this could be the inevitable down fall sim with Portland taking on the Tropics and Mad Popes, but the team managed a win against Hawaii (more on that later) and split the first two games of the three-game set with Sacramento. The rubber match of that early series will come up in the next sim. At 16-9, Portland owns the best record in the Pacific, the second best record in the Frick, and the 4th best record in the Brewster. Needless to say, this has been the best start to a season in Portland history.

Offense Explodes vs Hawaii
In the series opener against the Tropics, fans at the Trail in Multnomah experienced something that is rarely seen: a Portland offense exploding! The Lumberjacks scored 19 runs en route to an easy 19-2 victory over the Tropics. Portland scored 5 times in the first frame and then followed that up with a 6 spot in both the 5th and 6th innings. Wilson Alomar continues to have a fine April and had himself a day in this one as he led the charge with a pair of doubles and a grand slam homerun. Alomar tallied 6 more RBI on the season in the win. Wilson Andrade and Millard Younger each tied the team record with 4 runs scored in the game. An impressive feat for Andrade considering his struggles. Andrade only had 1 hit and a walk in the game, yet still managed to cross home 4 times. Millard on the other hand went 3 for 4 with a pair of walks.

On the evening, every Lumberjacks hitter had a hit and 7 of the 9 had multiple hits. The team collected 9 extra base hits in all. Despite a pretty strict pitch limit, Ken Sparks was allowed to throw 110 pitches in the game and cruised to the easy victory. Unfortunately for Lumberjacks fans, the team blew their wad in this contest and subsequently lost the next two to the Tropics.

Gallagher Playing Hurt
Despite a thigh muscle injury that has hampered Andrew Gallagher for most of the season, the power hitting 1B remains in the lineup to help the team continue his winning ways. Despite the injury, suffered back on April 5th, Gallagher has stayed in the lineup and refuses to take a break or go to the IL. "I'm here to play and play everyday" commented Gallagher recently. "If my performance suffers then I'll tell them to sit me. Until then, I'm playing everyday."

Gallagher, who's had a notorious career of nagging injuries to this point, hasn't seen performance dip. He leads the team with 7 homeruns and 21 runs batted in. His defense, as expected, has been a little spotty. He's committed 3 errors already on the season over at first base. Despite the poor glove, Gallagher has tallied hits in 8 of his last 10 games with a homerun in two of those and 8 batted in over the span.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50