We Got Wood - 48.06 - "Of Rule 5s, Disappearances, and Retirements"

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 48.06 - "Of Rule 5s, Disappearances, and Retirements"

Post by 7teen » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:25 am

General manager Chris Wilson sat in the room with his head lowered while team owner David Wallace continued to shout obscenities and beat on the long, rectangular table in the center of his office. Kate, the assistant general manager of the team, never batted an eyelash. She sat up tall, confident. One would say she enjoyed the furor coming from the team's owner as he lashed out at the two. Perhaps she enjoyed watching Wilson being verbally abused like a whipped dog.

"How in fucking sakes did we leave Ruben unprotected. Fucking insane" Wallace continued to shout, shaking his head. Never really expecting an answer.

"I just overlooked him" said Wilson, head still lowered. "I was so focused on Vidaca and was caught off guard that Ma was ready that I completely missed Ruben. It's all my fault."

Hearing Wilson mutter those words brought a slight smile to Kate's face. Though kept under wraps for the last decade, she still secretly wanted Wilson's job and watching him squirm in his seat at this meeting brought her joy.

"And you" Wallace suddenly turned to Kate, "you didn't catch this mistake? Isn't that your job, to assist him? Shouldn't you have caught it as well? How did both of you miss it?"

Kate shuffled in her seat slightly, but refused to crumble like Wilson. She pondered why she had missed the Ruben rule 5 exclusion. She thought back through her head? Was she distracted over her son Kam's fall from graces in the Portland farm system? Was she concerned over the lack of any contact with her former husband Dan? Truth be told, she thought, she was probably busy welcoming Ernest McBride to the team. Before Kate could really offer any explanation on her part, Wilson spoke.

"I take the blame, David. Kate didn't even check the list. I just missed Ruben."

The room felt quite again as David sat down.

"How can we fix it? Can we get Ruben back? Maybe a trade?"

Kate and Chris glanced at each other in a way both knew the response but didn't want to speak it. Kate took the chance.

"Well, see, that's just it. It appears Twin Cities isn't returning any of our calls at the moment. It seems they took Ruben and then run. Their GM has gone, well, missing."

Chris gave Kate a quick glance. Kate glanced back at Chris, shook her head slightly no indicating she had nothing to do with the disappearance or missing nature of Scott Picolli, GM of the Twin Cities River Monsters.

"Missing?" David's voice began to get loud again. "GMs in this league don't go missing. Kate, I need you to take care of this problem and fix it now. Twin Cities has needs. Rumor around here is you now how to take care of needs. Find out, in some fashion, what this Scott fella needs and give it to him. See if you can get our Ruben back."

Kate stood up, "on it sir." and left the room.

Wilson was about to stand up as well when David started talking again. "So, Chris. Retirement. Any plans?"

Wilson stopped in his tracks. "Well, uh, sir, after this thing with Ruben I did...." He was cut off by David who must not have heard him talking.

"We make any plans for Pedro Rocha's retirement. We should really honor that guy someway. His retirement saved us about $10 million this off-season. Maybe throw a bobblehead night his way. Or let's honor him like the good old days with a fruit basket."

Wilson took a quick second to collect his thoughts again, "On it" he responded and hurriedly left the room.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

mragland
BBA GM

Re: We Got Wood - 48.06 - "Of Rule 5s, Disappearances, and Retirements"

Post by mragland » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:35 am

When life gives you lemons, make team news.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:26 am

Caitlin Sullivan, former baseball beat reporter for the Vancouver Sun, and currently Features Editor for the Vancouver Courier was recently overheard when caught by a live mic: "Kate? Who's this Kate? Back in the day when Chris was running Madison and I was traveling with the Mounties, we had some good times together. I remember romantic dinners and sleepovers. He had a serious crush on me. Those were the days."
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:56 am

Do what you gotta do to get him out of the #Heartland Kate!

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:41 am

The plot thickens.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”