We Got Wood - 47.14 - Buttons Trying to Block Out Naysayers

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 47.14 - Buttons Trying to Block Out Naysayers

Post by 7teen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 am

Joey "Buttons" O'Brien has heard it all before. "Kid looks good on paper but can't do it when it counts". It's nothing new for the 30 year old 2B for the Portland Lumberjacks. O'Brien's career hasn't exactly gone as planned up to this point but the infielder has vowed to not let it bother him in 2047.

"It's nothing new" commented O'Brien after the team's 8-5 loss at Louisville this week in which he went 2-4 with a run scored and an RBI. "I know I've not exactly lived up to my end of the bargain since coming into the Brewster. It's not because of a lack of hard work, I'll tell ya that. I did dedicate myself this off-season to being a better player in 2047. I've done that every season. I'm going to stay optimistic that this is the year I prove the naysayers wrong."

If his first week is any indication, O'Brien may do just that. Joey kicked off the season with a .312/.368/.438 clip and is already producing a positive 0.2 WAR. That may not seem like a big deal, but for a guy that has only produced 3.5 WAR in 12 seasons, perhaps it's the sign of something new. When asked what may fuel him differently in 2047, O'Brien responded: "I'm always up for the challenge, but this year I feel a little extra thanks to some comments from former GM's in the league. I'm here to prove some of them wrong."

Considering O'Brien has played for 7 teams in his big league career, it could be difficult to pinpoint the comment that is "fueling" the veteran. However there are rumors that O'Brien has posted a quote in his locker in the clubhouse at the Trail in Multnomah that reads
I'm just glad O'Brien is stealing money from someone else now
That quote, if true, may be easier to trace. Portland fans won't complain though if those comments by ex-General Managers produce a good season from Buttons!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50