We Got Wood - 46.06 - Under Covers With Kate (Vol. 1)

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 46.06 - Under Covers With Kate (Vol. 1)

Post by 7teen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:04 pm

In a series of team news, we'll get an inside look at the role Portland Lumberjacks Assistant GM Kate Fiscus is playing with the team. Today's installment: The 2nd pick in the 2046 Amateur Draft....

Team Owner David Wallace, General Manager Chris Wilson, Assistant General Manager Kate Fiscus, and Manager Pedro Medina are all in a conference room in the Tombstone, Arizona Motel 6, home of the Portland Lumberjacks' spring training facility where a conversation about how the team should handle the amateur draft begins....

David Wallace - OK, guys, we're picking second again this year. Despite having our worst season ever last year, we still can't seem to nab that first overall pick. Whether it's because of damn coin flip or badly relocated teams, we can't seem to ever get to the top.

Wilson gives Fiscus a quick look and smirk. Fiscus responds with Fuck You eyes.

David Wallace - So what are we planning this year? Pitcher or Hitter?

Chris Wilson - The trend has always been pitching. I say we stick with it. There are several good pitchers on the board this year. We can nab a guy who can help us now or focus on a prospect for down the road.

Kate Fiscus - And where has this philosophy gotten us so far, Chris? 47 wins last year doesn't exactly show this mentality is working. At least when you drafted hitters in Madison you were somewhat respectable.

CW - We're about to see it pay off. We have some guys now ready to prove the effort has been worth it. Add another arm or two to the fold and we'll be in good shape. This draft has the ability to allow us to do that.

DW - So who are you thinking, Chris?

CW - I have a list of a few guys in mind. It all depends on what we think we need to do. We want to win more now and sustain it? If so, check out this Smallwood kid. He has the make-up to make our rotation now.

Pedro Medina - The Sparks kid could help us too. Wouldn't mind seeing him in our rotation right now.

The room goes quiet and looks over at Medina. It appear the other trio wasn't aware Medina was even in the room. Shaking his head, Wilson resumes talking.

Wilson- Yeah, Sparks kid looks good as well. If we want to go for a long term project and maybe time him out with some other guys, then perhaps we go with the Clayton kid. We have a lot of options here to look at.

Wallace - Those all look like solid picks. Can we really go wrong with any of them?

Wilson- I don't think so.

Wallace- What about offense? We've sucked hitting the ball. Should we go offense? Are there any guys we can target at 2?

Wilson- There are some high contact guys I like.

Fiscus throws in a wry laugh

Kate- I'm sure you do.

After an eye roll CW- Ploid could be a potential .350 hitter for many years. He'd be solid.

Wallace- What about this Cano kid? His dad was a former big leaguer wasn't he? I'm hearing big things about him.

Wilson- He's ok looking I guess.

Kate - Don't bother with him. He's going to El Paso.

The room goes quiet again. All eyes shift to Kate.

Wallace - Is he? You sure?

Kate- Yep. My sources tell me El Paso is all in on Cano. It's a sure thing. Probably best we actually do focus on pitching.

wilson- You don't know that. I haven't seen any reports that Nigel is in on Cano. He took that Cole pitcher last year who was developed. I bet he looks to add another solid rotation piece and has a rotation sent from the gods ready to roll down there in El Paso.

Kate shrugs off Wilson's comment non-chalantly. Wallace gives Wilson a frustrated look and then looks back at Fiscus.

Wallace - You're sure Cano is off the table?

Fiscus nods confidently

Wilson- Well tell us, Ms. Fiscus. How are you so confident. Did Nigel tell you this directly?

Kate - I can't reveal my sources. Not Nigel. I tried pressuring some information out of him but got tired of listening to the man jabber about all the teams he's ran over his time in the BBA. So I went another route. Amazing how us other assistant general managers stick together. It wasn't hard to get information out of the little Greek.

Wilson - Kontos? He's not that little.

Kate - Shows what you know.

More silence as the room tries to figure out Fiscus' meaning

Fiscus - All I know is Kontos is in Nigel's ear, among other things she flashes Wilson a wink, pushing for him to draft an offensive player, like he was. They're going Cano.

Pedro Medina - So it's pitching fellas. Let's take one of these stud relievers!

Wallace - Fuck, you're still here Pedro? You can leave. In fact, just a heads up, your contract is up after this year. You better hope you make it to the end of the year. You won't be back. You can leave. And damn, speaking of leaving, when is spring training over!? This one this year seems to last forever. And who in the hell booked the Tombstone Motel 6 for our accomodations.

Kate - I do my best work in a Motel 6.

Fiscus gives Wilson one final wink.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: We Got Wood - 46.06 - Under Covers With Kate (Vol. 1)

Post by Dington » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 pm

I don't think Kate would allow the drafting of Smallwood.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

7teen
BBA GM

Re: We Got Wood - 46.06 - Under Covers With Kate (Vol. 1)

Post by 7teen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Dington wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 pm
I don't think Kate would allow the drafting of Smallwood.
How did I miss this angle!?! Awesome catch. Haha
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-