We Got Wood - 44.09 - Hey-ey-ey, a-What's Going On?

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 44.09 - Hey-ey-ey, a-What's Going On?

Post by 7teen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm

So here I am... Sitting in a classroom with abut 60% of my students. Those who wanted to return or their parents couldn't handle the virtual stuff we presented. Meanwhile, the other 40% are still at home virtual learning. I'm trying to teach two different methods all the while driving a school bus and playing janitor to every thing I touch. Nothing like spending an extra hour of my day disinfecting every bus seat, desk, chair, etc. If I only I got paid for every time I said the word "mask" or "6-feet" or "social distancing" I'd be a millionaire. As I stare into the room of 12 students starting into a computer screen, I realize I hadn't written a team news since the Lumberjacks broke the bank and solidified their lineup with the monster signing of Reece Wareham. So, here it goes....

If you've paid attention and noticed my slight posts from here or there, then you'll note Portland had it's first 7-0 sim. Ever! Yes, 4 seasons into our existence and we had our first perfect sim. It was a nice sight for sure. Beats the typical runs of 2-5, 2-4, 1-5 all the while sprinkling in the ever hopeful 3-3 or 3-4 run of games. Hey, in fact we've had some real nice runs of glimmer of hopes this season. Did you know we swept Sacramento in a 3-game series back in April only to repeat the feat again in May? WEll, you know now. You'll also know we are 6-0 against the Bum Popes this season.

Did you know we swept those bums from Vancouver in May as well? Not just a regular sweep, but one of the 4-game variety. Perhaps doing the Mounties preview this season got us a little inside intel. Or perhaps while everyone was reading that preview or posting on slack, Kate infiltrated and made sure the entire team would slump all at once (Hey, she's no slump buster ladies and gents). That little sweep has us standing at 5-2 against out biggest rival.

So what else is going on? Well, our biggest star Robert Menzies is still on the mend. He hasn't played a game all season after getting hurt in spring training. He's due back later this month. My long term experience in these leagues tells me I shouldn't get too excited. While the team is playing well, and you'd think adding your best player back will only boost your team in the standings, it usually goes the other way for some odd reason. But the fact this team is doing well with Menzies, and likely our second best hitter in Bartolo Ortiz on the IL, is somewhat mind boggling.

Of course it could also be because we have a solid Gillstrom candidate in Gusby Pinkerton. The rookie already has a 2.5 WAR thanks in large part to allowing just 4 homeruns and walking only 6 batters all season. Perhaps there is something to a lefty with high movement. We are going to need all we can get from Gusby as Pedro Rocha continues to fade into a shell of a shell of a shell of his former self. Our only hope is Rocha gets blinded by the fact he's doing somewhat ok this season and thinks the open market is the way to go this off-season.

Earlier this season we signed Pedro Gomez to a 1-year deal, avoiding arbitration this off-season. Our fans were "slightly" appreciative.

Speaking of fans, our fans have obviously decided that their careers are more important than coming to a Lumberjacks game. Fans come out in droves for Friday and Saturday night home games. The other games they don't seem to care much about these days. And if you're from the Heartland, well, no one wants to watch your sorry asses in Portland.

Well, that wraps it up. Cue up the Four Non Blondes.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50