We Got Wood - 43.38 - House of Fiscus; Analyzing the "Great Wheel"

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 43.38 - House of Fiscus; Analyzing the "Great Wheel"

Post by 7teen » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 am

This team news series is told through the eye of special team assistant and cookie connoisseur Kate Fiscus.

As I rolled into Portland, I began to form a list of demands. I had acquired a copy of "The Great Wheel" from the Boise franchise. This had to have some value. I mean Boise has made it to the post-season the last two seasons. Unlike those other so called plans the other organizations had concocted, this one had merit. I mean who wants Yellow Springs' document. They can't win a Landis. And Chicago? Please. Boise is the team. Until Edmonton or Louisville states they have a written document, this one is the pinnacle of plans. The big one. I thought to myself, "is asking to be the assistant general manager now too much? I mean, Teddy still has another year left on his contract. They've been letting him issue some statements of late, but that's just for show. Nah, I can't go there. The team is too money conscious to fire him and pay him his salary to bring me in. Maybe a shrare of the cookie profits. The organization wracked up in concession sales this past season thanks to that Ballpark Food challenge. I need to be financially compensated. I'll get something worked out for sure. It's time Wilson appreciated by value to this organization.

My day dreaming of demands cause the final leg of the trip to fly by. Before I knew it I was rolling into the front office lots at The Trail in Multnomah.
Wilson was already in his office and expecting me. Well, sort of.

"Kate, I really need you in Quincy" he told me. "We can look over the documents after that." But I insisted he look. I wanted the glory and I wanted it now.

Security buzzed me on up and I entered Wilson's office. He was at his desk. Ted Dunn was in there as well.

"Why's he here" I asked, pointing over in Dunn's direction.

"He's the assistant GM, we need to look over this thing together. Do you have it?"

I grabbed the brief case containing the document and handed it over to Wilson. He looked over the case then popped it open. There, sitting on top was "The Great Wheel", the document containing the plans behind the Boise Spuds impending dynasty in the Johnson League. Wilson looked at it in the brief case then picked it up. He laid the brief case to the side. As he picked it up, I saw the cover again and just grinned with pride that I had gotten this for the team. Once we implement these strategies, Wilson will have no choice but to promote me and get me off the road with these minor leaguers.

"How'd you get this?" Dunn asks from across the room.

"I ran into Joe, from Boise" I commented, looking at Dunn with disgust. Disgust that was clear as I didn't hide it with my response.

"Joe? From Boise? Wilson retorts.

"Yeah, Joe. From Boise" I respond this time with a look of "are you hard of hearing or something.

Wilson eyes the cover. He sort of runs his fingers over it, wondering what secrets are contained within. He flips open the cover. Scans the page.
Flips over another one. Then another. He pauses periodically. Makes a few sounds of affirmation. A few more pages turns. Wilson nods.

"So, I was thinking. My reward for this find should be..." I'm cut off as Wilson closes the document.

"Did you look at this any?" he asks, cutting me off of my demands.

"No, I didn't have time to. I was in a hurry to get out of there. But anyway, I'd like to get..."

"You didn't even take a peak inside? See what it said? See what brilliants plans Boise had in store to build a dynasty?" he asks, voice sounding a little more irritated.

"No, like I said. There was no time. But I want to be rewarded for my find." I retort, showing a little annoyance of my own for the find.

"You never thought to yourself to take a look inside? Get some of the details for yourself. Maybe sell those details off to another team? Maybe another team desperate for wins? I don't know, I'm sure that Allred family in Wichita wouldn't mind getting in on some hidden league secrets."

"No, I promise. I never looked. But what's it worth to you? I want off the road. Back in Portand."

"Back in Portland? BACK IN PORTLAND?" Wilson shouts. "Why would I bring you back to Portland for this?"

"Because it'll turn us around!!?" we're both shouting now. "We can win the division! Win the Frick. Hell, maybe win a Landis. Something you haven't done in almost 4 decades!!! I want his job!" I finally get out my demands without being cut off. Wilson and Dunn just sit there silently.

"You want... his job" Wilson responds, pointing his bony finger over at Ted Dunn. "You want to be the assistant GM for this" he waves a copy of The Great Wheel around the room.

"Yes. That's right. I want to be the assistant GM" I answer emphatically.

Wilson stands up from his desk and walks to the front of it, standing over me. The copy of the Great Wheel in his right hand. "Kate, I appreciate your loyalty to me and this organization. You're doing a fine job. You've been doing well. Keeping your nose clean, staying out of issues like this. But I'm not making you the assistant GM. I'll tell you what I will do though" he tosses the Great Wheel to me, "I'll let you take a look at the document. And then tell you to head to Quincy. Take care of the problem I instructed you on before, and head to wherever else I ask you to after that."

I look at Wilson with puzzlement. No way, I think. I want off the road. I look down at the gleaming cover of the Great Wheel. Those guys in Boise did a fantastic job on binding and producing this thing. No way I'm going back on the road. I look up at Wilson, about to restate my demands when he stops me. "Take a look" he says, eyes widened this time. I shake my head in disgust over being interrupted. I look down at the document and begrudgingly flip open the cover. I read it out loud "Page 1, Contents to the Bosie Spuds Great Wheel Plan to Success" Looks legit. I do notice the glaring misspelling of Boise on the front page but hey, typos happen right? Minor details like that can be missed. I flip over to page 2 and opt to just read it to myself. I don't notice anything major here again. But the info isn't exactly ground breaking. Sign pitchers. Make money. Build fan interest. Things every team wants to do. But when I turn to the next page, my heart begins to sink. Page 5 reads: The Nashville Plan to trying to win games, circa 2035. I shake my head. Confused. I flip another page. My heart sinks a little more. By the time I get to page 10 I knew I was in trouble: "Page 10: Grays Sports Almanac 1950-2000" it reads. "Page 12: Boise's A-List Potato Skins Recipe" I keep flipping. More junk. I flip again, A "US Interstate Highways Map". I keep flipping. More and more hurriedly. HOping to find something of use. "Page 20: The Declaration of Independence" "Page 32: Blueprints to an RV". I flip to the last page. In big, bold letters it reads "THE END"

"It's a fake" I mutter to myself. "This isn't real." I keep my head down as I close the document.

"Joe, from Boise huh" Wilson comments. "Was it, this Joe? Joe Lederer?" he tosses a picture on the desk like this is some sort of interrogation. He tosses another one, then another one. "Is this the 'Joe' you got the document from."

I look up. Stare at the pictures. It's not the same Joe. The Joe I met was dashingly handsome. He had a youthful, invigorating spirit. Nothing like the Joe in the pictures. I shake my head no. "That's not the same Joe. Chris, I"m sorry. I thought I had gotten us a copy of...."

"Quincy Kate. Head to Quincy. Check on Ghi-cheng Kum. Get his mind right. We can't have any distractions in our minor leagues."

I look up, wanting to plead some sort of case. "But" I get out before again being interrupted.

"Quincy Kate. Go!" Wilson responds.

I stand up from my chair, take one last look at The Great Wheel cover. It looks so legit. I toss it into my empty chair and slowly walk to the door.
I get to the door and Wilson speaks "Kate, wait"

I turn around quickly, hoping he's had a change of heart. He walks around to his desk and opens up the top desk drawer. He pulls out some papers.

"Oh thanks Chris, plane tickets? You flying me to Quincy this time." He hands the papers over.

"No Kate, some prescriptions. Get yourself taken care of. We can't have our young guys getting anything from you. Take care!"
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: We Got Wood - 43.38 - House of Fiscus; Analyzing the "Great Wheel"

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:24 pm

:crazylaugh:
ImageImageImageImageImage

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:56 pm

7teen wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 am
"Joe, from Boise huh" Wilson comments. "Was it, this Joe? Joe Lederer?" he tosses a picture on the desk like this is some sort of interrogation. He tosses another one, then another one. "Is this the 'Joe' you got the document from."

I look up. Stare at the pictures. It's not the same Joe. The Joe I met was dashingly handsome. He had a youthful, invigorating spirit. Nothing like the Joe in the pictures. I shake my head no.
You know how to cut to the core of me, Wilson.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:58 pm

jleddy wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:56 pm
7teen wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 am

I look up. Stare at the pictures. It's not the same Joe. The Joe I met was dashingly handsome. He had a youthful, invigorating spirit. Nothing like the Joe in the pictures. I shake my head no.
You know how to cut to the core of me, Wilson.
Kate has "some" standards.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-