We Got Wood - 43.31 - Rocha Debuts, Normore Gets 1st Hit, Diaz Walks it Off

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 43.31 - Rocha Debuts, Normore Gets 1st Hit, Diaz Walks it Off

Post by 7teen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:37 pm

It was an opening day to remember at the Trail in Multnomah. 39,770 fans (for some reason I can't seem to get a full 40,000 to ever show) attending the team's opening day game against the Seattle Storm and they were witnesses to an all-time classic game as well as plenty of history to go around.

For starters, Pedro Rocha made his first start in a Portland uniform. After signing a huge free agent contract in the off-season, fans were excited to see the anchor to this rebuilt pitching staff. Rocha wasn't his best, but was solid. He allowed 3 runs on 9 hits while striking out 4 in 6 innings. A quality, albeit not outstanding, start. He didn't get the decision.

Secondly, it saw the rookie debut of the team's new designate hitter Matt Normore. After a full season of front office praise and dominating in Triple A in 2042, Normore made his big league debut on opening day. Normore started the day 0-3 with three hard hit balls. "I had some nerves for sure" said the 22 year old lefty, "but I settled in after that first at-bat."

Lastly, the fans were treated with a classic win. Seattle jumped out early on Rocha to a 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning. They added on another run in the 6th and took a 3-0 lead into the final two innings. The Lumberjacks battled back. A Paco Diaz walk sparked things in the 8th. Jose Rios (the forgotten man in a trade this off-season) and Miguel Cortez followed with 1-out singles to plate Diaz and get the Lumberjacks on the board.Faical Engeitado added a 2-out single in the inning that cut the lead to 3-2 before the side was retired and the game headed to the 9th.

Flynn Bernard got out of a lead-off walk by inducing a double play and a fly out and the game headed to the 9th. History was made soon there after as Normore led off the inning with a single on an 0-1 pitch, his first of his career. "It felt good to get that first one" said Normore who would add 3 more hits the following night against Seattle. "Of course many may forget about that as my first later. Or perhaps it'll always be remembered. It will by me!" Odds are fans will never forget it because of what it became. And what it became was the tying run.

Rodrigo Barbosa struck out as the next batter, bringing back to the plate Paco Diaz. Diaz, who walked in the previous inning and scored Portland's first run of the game took the first two pitches, a ball and a strike, making the count 1-1. Diaz his 19 homeruns a year ago for Portland. He entered the opening day tilt with Seattle with 138 for his career. He was signed by Portland last season for his ability to draw a walk, hit homeruns, and be a solid producer behind the plate. His defense doesn't get talked about much (He threw out 27% of base stealers last season while posting a positive ZR) but his ability to draw a walk was highlighted in the 8th. His ability to hit homeruns was highlighted in the 9th.

Hector Marqeuz, looking to the go the distance for Seattle was still on the mound. He'd get a complete game. But not the win. Marquez's third pitch of the at-bat was belted to opposite field by Diaz. Marquez lowered his head as soon as it met wood. 424 happy feet later, the ball landed in the right-center field seats at the Trail in Multnomah. Diaz launched his bat into the air! Fists raised high. Normore stood between first and second base and admired the bomb. Fans roared to life. Portland players streamed onto the field. Diaz had won the game for Portland.

Normore sprinted around the bases. Diaz, considerably slower, soaked in a few more cheers as he rounded the bags. Players huddled around home, awaiting the victor. Diaz was mobbed at home plate. Water showered through the air! Portland was 1-0.

"It doesn't get much more special than that" said Diaz on the field during his post-game interview. "Opening day, walk-off homerun... what a day. And what about ol' Matty setting the table with his first big league hit!? This could be a fun, special team this year fellas. Watch and see!"
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: We Got Wood - 43.31 - Rocha Debuts, Normore Gets 1st Hit, Diaz Walks it Off

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Damn it. Well, I guess you can't lose them all …

Nice writeup, Chris. I'm a Normore fan, so I'll be following his progress, for sure.

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: We Got Wood - 43.31 - Rocha Debuts, Normore Gets 1st Hit, Diaz Walks it Off

Post by lordtoffee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Very good piece of writing Chris. I think Portland is going to be a contender this year.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”