We Got Wood - 43.06 - Cortez Does Win Diamond Award

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 43.06 - Cortez Does Win Diamond Award

Post by 7teen » Sun May 31, 2020 9:28 am

There was little suspense to the Frick League's Diamond Glove award for centerfield in 2042. Having played in every game this season for the Lumberjacks, Miguel Cortez became known rather quickly as a defensive wizard in the outfield. Behind a +19.2 zone rating and only 4 errors made all season, Cortez claimed the Diamond Glove Award as the best defensive CF in the Frick in 2042.

"I take pride in my defensive ability" commented Cortez on hearing he had won the award. "It is sometimes an overlooked part of the game, especially during this day and age of insane offensive numbers. While my offense is just average at best, I feel my ticket to sticking around this league for a while is going to be my ability to play defense. Being recognized for it this year is always a plus."

Behind a franchise high 3.2 WAR this season, Cortez parlayed that Diamond Glove Award into a Team Rookie of the Year Award and finished 5th in the Frick League for the Gillstrom Award given to the league's top rookie. An honor that went to Hawaii's Ernest McBride. Cortez did muster 1 first place vote in the balloting and 9 3rd place votes (along with several other nods). Cortez joins Jorge Lopez as Diamond Glove winners for Portland, as Lopez won the honor in 2041 in LF making the duo a solid defensive force in the Lumberjacks OF.

There are some rumors that Cortez could be asked to shift to RF in 2043 where he'd possibly be an even bigger lock to win the Diamond Glove in 2043. The shift would be in response to the organization wanting to use Arthur Daniel in Centerfield in 2043. Daniel, an elite glove man himself, is coming off winning the Triple-A's Clayton Chancy Award in CF, the honor given to the top defensive man at Triple-A. If so, Portland would field the most elite defensive trio likely in the history of the BBA with Lopez-Daniel-Cortez. The biggest question is whether Cortez could hit at a high enough rate to justify him at a corner outfield spot.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: We Got Wood - 43.06 - Cortez Does Win Diamond Award

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 am

Could be some serious leather in Portland.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”