We Got Wood - 43.04 - Like a Kid in a Crappy Candy Store

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 43.04 - Like a Kid in a Crappy Candy Store

Post by 7teen » Thu May 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Free agency is upon us. The off-season is here. When you're Portland and you've had 3 consecutive losing seasons to start your franchise history, these little events excite you. It means you can acquire some players. Get some talent. Try and improve on last year. And when you're Portland's GM and you see how much money you have to spend, it's like being a kid in a candy store. The problem is, is the candy worth it?

Portland enters the off-season with the second lowest payroll in the league (only Jacksonville's is lower at the moment). This means Portland GM Chris Wilson can really throw hoards of money all around and acquire pretty much any one and almost everyone the team feels it needs to make the team better. But, who exactly is that? This free agent class lists no one better than a 60 overall rating according to scouts. With most of those guys being 1B, Guys who are asking way too much for their ability, or Pitchers unwilling to talk to the team because it's still in a building phase, what's a GM to do?

"I've never been in a situation quite like this" said Wilson today as he prepared to head out to the winter meetings. "Going all the way back to my Madison days we were always somewhere in the upper 3rd in payroll heading into free agency. We could find a guy or two here and there, maybe add a pitcher or fill a position, but never had loads of cash to throw around. Well, there was one time we did, and I spent it. Though that didn't really pan out. So that really leaves me in an odd situation this year. Can we improve our team in free agency? Yes. But who do we target and do we really risk overpaying for a guy if it only means gaining 5 wins or so next season? I guess that's why they pay me the big bucks, huh?"

Portland enters the off-season with 31 players on the 40-man roster. With several young call-ups expected prior to Opening Day, one has to wonder how many guys the team actually targets this winter.

"That's just it" added Wilson. "Are there players who are upgrades to what we have? Yes. But at the same time, we have some young guys who we finally want to commit to in 2043 and give a full on chance. We have 2 positions in the field we need to get a player. Clearly we need pitching. Who doesn't. But that's a risky grab. You either have to overpay for a starter, which we can clearly afford to do, but we also don't want to get hamstringed by a bad salary 3-4 years down the road when I feel we will be ready to make a huge stride. And then there is always keeping the salary low this season and perhaps look at what's out there next year. So who really knows what we're going to do really!"

Wow, that TN gave away little. Long story short, Portland has just under $70 million in cap space that it can do whatever it wants to with this off-season. Or do little to nothing at all with it.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: We Got Wood - 43.04 - Like a Kid in a Crappy Candy Store

Post by RonCo » Fri May 29, 2020 1:46 am

Well, that was definitive.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

DugoutDesperado
Ex-GM

Re: We Got Wood - 43.04 - Like a Kid in a Crappy Candy Store

Post by DugoutDesperado » Fri May 29, 2020 11:40 am

Jacksonville feels like they are similar boat. A bunch of money at the candy store and they are all out of chocolate.

If we can pick up a piece here or there, we will have to figure out the rest during the season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”