We Got Wood - 43.02 - Guerrer Opts-Out of Final 2 Years

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 43.02 - Guerrer Opts-Out of Final 2 Years

Post by 7teen » Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 am

In a move that surprised the front office of the Lumberjacks, it was announced today that firstbaseman Mario Guerrer will opt-out of the final 2 years of his contract and become a free agent this off-season.

"We were extremely surprised when his agent contacted us to inform us he'd be opting out" Portland assistant GM Ted Dunn said today in a press conference. "Not so much that he opted out, but the fact he likely cost himself some money by doing so."

Guerrer had a player opt out clause after the 2042 season that allowed him to forfeit his 2043 and 2044 contract seasons. However, those last two seasons were for $18 million each but were team controlled options. The Portland Lumberjacks owned the right to accept or decline keeping Guerrer for next season and for 2044. Had the club declined his options, Guerrer would have received a $4.5 million buyout from Portland.

"My client wants to control his own future" said Guerrer's agent, "not have management control it for him. While this is a business and we understand there could be money lost in the way we've handled it, my client and I feel this is the best decision for him moving forward as we can now attempt to sign on with a more successful organization."

It was unknown at the moment as to whether the Lumberjacks front office was going to accept or reject the team option for 2043. The team currently has close to $70 million in cap space now with the Guerrer opt-out. Had the team picked up the team option, they'd still have had over $50 million to spend for next season and not have thrown $4.5 million away in a buy out. Nonetheless, that decision is now a moot point and the club will now find another option for 1B in 2042.

Guerrer hit .297/.361/.579 for Portland in 2042 with a team leading 39 homeruns and 102 RBI. He won the team's top hitter award for his efforts. Guerrrer is reportedly asking for a similar contract this off-season as the one he forfeited with Portland, with a few more option years tacked on in the end. With the status of the 1B/DH and COF market in the league, many experts expect Guerrer to be sorely disappointed in what deal his signs this off-season. Many feel he made a huge mistake by opting out of the deal. "He should have forced the hand of the Portland front office" said one league financial expert. "I'm afraid Mario is going to be disappointed when there aren't that many teams calling for his services this winter."
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50