We Got Wood - 42.65 - Is This the End for Mick?

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 42.65 - Is This the End for Mick?

Post by 7teen » Sun May 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Thrown a bone by the Portland organization in 2042, Jon Mick now has to look into the mirror and decide: What's next? The homerun hitting 1B went to free agency for the first time in his career prior to the 2042 season, and found that free agency for aging 1B is not a happening scene. After missing the whole first month of the season because no one signed him, Mick finally caught on with Portland again after signing a minor league contract then instantly joining on with the big league club. But after a season that saw him produce a -1.5 WAR, many are wondering if the end is near for Porky.

"I'm not ready to hang them up just yet" said Mick today as he left the Trail in Multnomah with his gear in tow. "I think I have a little left in the tank. But just not sure there is another organization out there that has the same feel I do or really has the position to take me on. I guess we'll see how free agency this go around shakes out."

Mick had one of his worst seasons in the BBA in 2042, hitting .197 with 21 homeruns and 68 RBI in 124 games played. All of those totals were career lows for the 37 year old veteran. The -1.5 WAR was the lowest of his 14 big league seasons, all spent with two big league teams (Madison and Portland) both GM'd by Chris Wilson.

"We talked to Mick today before he left" said Wilson. "I thanked him for all the hard work and the numbers he's produced over his years playing for me. But I also told him it would be his last with us here in Portland. We have to cut ties at some point and that time is now. We have some younger pieces making their ways up through the ranks and there just isn't room for him anymore here in Portland."

Mick, who still possesses solid power, could perhaps join on with a team who needs a little homerun power and even some star recognition. But if the 2042 off-season is any indication, it isn't likely he signs a big league contract and most likely joins on with a farm team like several other aging stars did this season with Portland.

If it is the end of the road for Mick in the BBA, it'll go down as a very fulfilling, yet odd, playing career. Mick currently has 549 homeruns and 1,741 RBI. Both are Hall of Fame worthy numbers. He currently ranks 17th and 13th in those categories respectively in league history and every player with those types of numbers currently sit in the Hall of Fame or are still active. However, none of the guys with those stats prior to Mick have such a low WAR output like Jon who has only posted a 26.5 career WAR and has zero hardware to go with his lofty batting seasons.

Supported by huge offensive numbers (11 seasons of 100+ RBI and 7 40+ homerun seasons) but mired by lofty contract expectations ($20 million per season) and low WAR outputs, Mick's story will be an interesting one to follow over the next few years.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50