We Got Wood - 42.13 - Normore and Kelly Left Off Opening Day Roster

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 42.13 - Normore and Kelly Left Off Opening Day Roster

Post by 7teen » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Some fans were shocked today. Others, not so much. The Portland Lumberjacks announced their 2042 Opening Day roster and two notable names were left off the list. Those two names have been floated around all off-season as possible rookies to be on the roster but also the chance they'd start the season in the minors. It appears Minors is the choice for now. Those two players: Matt Normore and Terrence Kelly. Both will start the 2042 season in Quincy with the Lumberjacks Triple-A team in nearby Washington with the Firedancers. Lumberjacks General Manager Chris Wilson commented on the decision today, just hours before the Lumberjacks' first game of the season against the Sluggers in Louisville.

"It wasn't an easy decision by any means" said General Manager Chris Wilson. "If it was a decision based solely on taking the best players right now then they make the team and are with us right now. Unfortunately there are a lot of other factors that get weighed into this right now. Roster positions, economics, everything. We weighed all the factors and decided that for now, the best move with the organization is to send both Normore and Kelly down to Triple-A. They may be back up here before the season ends. They may not. We'll just have to see how everything plays out over the next few months."

A clear case can be made that both 21 year-old players are better than some guys being added to the 2042 opening day roster, but digging into things deeper may help ease the fans' pain over not seeing these two youngster in April. Things such as:

- Portland had a full 40-man roster and neither Normore or Kelly were on the 40-man roster heading into spring training.
- Even with 3 injuries during spring training that made some roster moves easier, Portland still had to Waive/DFA two other guys to get the roster down 27 for Opening day.
- Sure, some of the players on Portland's roster who are staying suck, but releasing those guys costs the franchise money. More money is added if Normore and Kelly make the team so finances also played a roll at this stage.
- Portland still has 6 OFs on the ACT roster for spring training. You can make a case they all add something, so Normore is just an odd man out based on the current roster.

These things did not exactly sit well with all fans.

"I was excited about 2042" said James Matthews, a season ticket holder for all 3 seasons of Lumberjacks baseball. "I saw some young guys who appeared ready and it was going to start a new trend and identity for this team and fans of this team. But it appears money is behind these decisions. If that's the case, it may be the last time they get mine."

Other fans were not quite as quick to judge.

"It's baseball" said Jimmy Adkins. "Do I like it, not necessarily. But this team isn't ready yet. And it's not like this is a new occurrence early on with the team. The front office sat Jorge Lopez out all of 2040 while he was terrorizing the AAA circuit. And look now, he's here and he's a solid player for us. I'm going to put my faith in the front office that they are doing this to make us relevant for the future rather than just a few meaningless wins this season. I hope I'm not wrong."

Clearly Adkins read his copy of "The Master Plan" that was sent to all Season Ticket Buyers in 2042.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: We Got Wood - 42.13 - Normore and Kelly Left Off Opening Day Roster

Post by RonCo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:43 am

Clearly Adkins read his copy of "The Master Plan" that was sent to all Season Ticket Buyers in 2042.
You had me until here. We all know Portland fans can't read.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: We Got Wood - 42.13 - Normore and Kelly Left Off Opening Day Roster

Post by ae37jr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 am

Normore is no more? Maybe he can legally change his name to Yesmore.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”