We Got Wood - 40.40 - Bringing Down the House

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 40.40 - Bringing Down the House

Post by 7teen » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:48 pm

GM Chris Wilson, sitting at his desk in his office in Portland digs around the bottom right desk drawer. After finding the phone hidden underneath a stack of folders and loose papers stashed away, he exhales silently as he stares at the numbers. He ponders for a moment. Exhales another sigh and begins to dial. The phone rings. A voice on the other end answers....

Phone voice: Hello? I was wondering when you'd call.

Wilson: Yeah, it's been a while. Listen, you sure these lines are secure? I can't have this getting out.

Phone: Completely secure. Nothing to worry about.

Wilson: Good. You ready?

Phone: Ready? Been ready. So what do you have in mind? Assistant GM?

Wilson: No. Something bigger. Besides, we just hired Ted Dunn to that position. He's been around a while. Former player. Has some success. No one will look at that hiring as suspicious.

Phone: Bigger!? Well, it's not your job. I'm clearly not going to be the manager. Owner?

Wilson: No, David Wallace is a good owner. Good guy. Doing things right. But that's just it, things in the league are taking a turn. I need someone who can keep up with those changes behind the scenes. Do the dirty things that David and myself just can't be involved with.

Phone: Geez, I don't know. I told myself I wanted things to be different this time. Wanted a clean slate. No more secrets and hidden agendas like before. Not sure I"m ready for that. Especially after the shooting.

Wilson: I know, I get that. Before I go further, how's the recovery going?

Phone: Good. Still rehabbing it some. Luckily it missed anything major. Just got the shoulder. Been rehabbing it well and almost fully recovered.

Wilson: That's good. And the drugs?

Phone: Clean since the incident. Complete life changer around here.

Wilson: Even better. With that said, I think I know what happened that night?

Phone: Do tell?

Wilson: As I said, things have taken a turn in the league. Teams are getting down and dirty. Chicago has this new guy, Vinnie Vitale, a complete scumbag. Runs a towing company and some shady waste disposal operation. I also think he's gotten some government ties. A real political machine type. Runs things like a mob boss. He's getting laws changed, towing team buses, the whole works. He's fired employees. I think he knows you have information and was trying to knock you off that night.

Phone: I don't recall coming into contact with a Vinnie Vitale, but wouldn't be surprised if he knew of our connection. I mean, it's not hard to figure that out. You think he felt threatened by me and feared us working together?

Wilson: With this guy, anything is possible. I think deep down he knew you and I would get back together at some point and he knew we'd be bigger than him. You and I started this gig and he thinks he can overrun us. It's not happening. But it isnt' stopping there. Even Yellow Springs is finding sneaky edges anymore . Yes, America's lovable loser and wholesome Nine are getting shady.

Phone: Wow, things are changing.

WIlson: Yes they are. That's why I need you. You were way ahead of your time. This is right up your alley and can be a huge asset to this organization.

Phone: So what would my title be?

Wilson: That's another thing. You won't "officially" be on our pay roll or have an official title. But you will be paid for your services. The title I will give you will be "Information Director". Your job is to supply me with as much information on rival teams as possible.

Phone: I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this. With my past, I'm trying to turn a new corner. Would like something a little more traditional this go around.

Wilson: Look, I understand. But this is a good way of getting yourself back in a system. We'll keep this between you and I at first and then perhaps one day, you'll have an official position here in Portland. Who knows, maybe the Assistant GM spot suits your eye.

Phone: I do like the sound of that.

Wilson: So, you in?

Phone: Yeah, I guess so.

Wilson: Good! Again, keep this between you and I. Don't even let David know. I'll explain to him you're doing some work for me. Tying up some loose ends from our Madison days but that's it. You'll do such a good job, I'm sure the Assistant GM spot will look good on you.

Phone: If you say so. I'll head out that way as soon as possible.

Wilson: Outstanding. Give my best wishes to Dan. I know he hated to retire after that gunshot wound, but it was best for him. Glad you all have things going better.

Phone: Will do.

Wilson: And Kate, it's time to get dirty!

end of converstation
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: We Got Wood - 40.40 - Bringing Down the House

Post by RonCo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Oh, my.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Love it!

And I’m shocked - shocked I say! - that you think Vinnie would try to orchestrate a hit. He’s a tower, not a killer ...

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:31 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Love it!

And I’m shocked - shocked I say! - that you think Vinnie would try to orchestrate a hit. He’s a tower, not a killer ...
Just implied it. Whatever it takes to get Kate back in the fold and hating on Vinnie Vitale!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Well, you never know ... Vinnie has a bit of a temper. Firearms wouldn't be his first choice, though. A well-timed benzene spill would be more his style. Not that Portland should worry about unmarked tanker trucks prowling its parking lots or anything ...

This is fun stuff, Chris! What a hoot (although not Al Hoot, I want to make clear ...)
Last edited by HoosierVic on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Tremendous!
GM Vancouver Mounties

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Wow

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic