We Got Wood - 40.18 - That's Called a Winning Streak!

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 40.18 - That's Called a Winning Streak!

Post by 7teen » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 am

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet, but anytime something positive happens in Portland we have to run with it. On Saturday, April 21 the Lumberjacks defeated the Long Beach Surfers by the score of 5-4. On the following day, the Lumberjacks beat the Surfers again, this time by the score of 7-4. The significance of this is that, for the first time in the franchise's existence, they've won back to back games. For a team that is now 5-19 on the season, that's something.

"We know it's baby steps, but steps nonetheless" said Lumberjacks pitcher Ghi-cheng Kum who got the win as starter in the 5-4 victory on Saturday. "Great stuff! Maybe stringing together a few here and there will help us turn a corner" said Jon Mick who hit his 4th homerun of the season in Sunday's 7-4 win.

Ortega Locks Down 3 Saves!
After back to back weeks of blown opportunities at the end of games, Lumberjacks closer Luis Ortega bounced back this week and nailed down 3 saves in a row for the good guys. He saved both wins over Long Beach and then locked up the Lumberjacks 6-4 win a few days later against California. Ortega had this to say about the positive week: "I told you guys I had to be better. I had to do better. I did this week. I think we can all say that. I didn't save a few games earlier in the season and the blame was all on me. It's an up and down game and hopefully I'm on the way back up."

The save on Saturday against Long Beach marked the first save in Portland franchise history. Ortega's numbers still aren't good (0-2, 2 blown saves, 9.00 ERA, and 1.75 WHIP) but he does have 16 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched.

Team Loses 1/2 Participation Point for Manager Error
Portland manager Tarafah bin Bahir cost the team a half a participation point by failing to turn in his lineup card for this week's game. Bahir spoke about the error this week:

"I made out the lineup card every day and thought I had someone ready to turn it in" Bahir said, "but it never happened. I made changes each day but just fell asleep at the wheel I guess. I'll do better from now on. We can't be losing those league wide participation credit thingies."

Rumor is the rookie manager is just covering up for GM Chris Wilson's error of not submitting his roster changes to league headquarters prior to this week's play per league rules. It appears the error may have cost the Lumberjacks some injury time with Lee Morgan. Morgan, suffering from back spasms, was reportedly headed to the Injured List, failed to report to the injured list over the error. Morgan pitched 5.2 innings in a 7-0 loss to California in which he allowed 3 runs on 5 hits, but suffered a set back in his recovery that may force him to miss his next start.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50