We Got Wood - 40.14 - We Got a Win!... and other stuff

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 40.14 - We Got a Win!... and other stuff

Post by 7teen » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Open up the champagne, pop! We got us a win! The answer to the trivia question in 50 seasons of "Who did Portland beat to win it's first game" will be "The Valencia Stars!" On a 50 degree day with the roof open at The Trail in Multnomah, just over 25,000 fans watched the home team Lumberjacks rally from an early 6-3 deficit to force extra innings. The second extra inning affair already this season in Portland. Fortunately this time, the good guys scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the 12th inning on a walk-off homerun by Jon Mick for the franchise's first ever victory.

"I've hit a lot of homeruns in my career" said Mick on the field after the game, "but I'm not sure I've ever hit one quite as cool as this. There probably aren't very many guys who can say they hit a walk-off homerun to help give a franchise its first ever victory. How freaking cool is that!?" Mick screamed to the fans as he jogged back into the dugout and down the steps into the Portland clubhouse. Unfortunately for Portland, it was their only win of the sim and the club is now 1-10 on the season.

Ortega Blows It!
The club's first win nearly came the night before. Unfortunately, Luis Ortega blew the game in the 9th inning. Up 9-8 entering the 9th, Ortega allowed 2 walks and a hit to allow 3 runs. The 3 runs came with 2 outs off a homerun by Pagan for the Stars. After the game, Lumberjacks General Manager had some choice words for Ortega.

"We are trying to trade this guy away because someone gave him a shit ton of money. Hell, I've signed some bad contracts in my day but good god! Gonna be hard to trade a guy who shows more loyalty to his former team [Valencia] than he does his current employer."

Wen Gets the Win
Pretty fitting that the pitcher of record for the Lumberjacks in that walk-off victory is named
Wen Huang. "Wen gets the Win!" joked Huang after the game. Huang pitched a scoreless 12th inning before the walk-off by Mick. Huang, who was acquired in a trade with Edmonton this off-season, has been about a league average pitcher over his career. Through just 11 games this year, he's allowed 2 earned runs while striking out 6 batters. He's been one of the effective pitchers so far for the Lumberjacks.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50