Morning Wood - 59.31 - Lacerda Embracing "Fatherly" Roll

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Morning Wood - 59.31 - Lacerda Embracing "Fatherly" Roll

Post by 7teen » Fri May 24, 2024 12:45 pm

Most of the time when a big league player is 41 years of age, they've already hung up the cleats and glove and looking at the next phase of their life or career. Many go into the broadcast booth. Some go into coaching. Some just ride off into the sunset and settle down with the family at a desirable location. Those days are just around the corner for Renato Lacerda, but he's not quite ready yet.

"I'm the team dad" Lacerda joked during an interview during team batting practice on BBATV. The reliever who ranks 3rd all-time in career saves with 540 agreed to the interview despite minimal action this season.

"I know my usage is down and the competitor in me wants to get out there and perform and compete" the 41 year older said. "But I also understand how things work. There are guys here that are better than me. I'll take what I can get. I've taken a leadership roll both down in the bullpen and in the clubhouse. Some of these guys have a lot to learn about the big league lifestyle."

When asked about the nickname given to him, Renato joked, "Yeah, I'm the 'team dad' now" Lacerda laughed. "I'm old enough to be some of these guys' real life dad. Heck, Mynorli was born in 2039. I made my big league debut in New Orleans in 2039. So yeah, I'm the team dad. I've embraced that roll. I'm here to enjoy what time I have left being with the guys. If my roll is to be a team leader and show them the ropes, then so be it. I"ll be ready to take the mound if and when they need me."

As to what rolls he plays as team dad, Lacerda joked "I had to show Erasmo how to tie a tie earlier in the season for when we went out for dinner on the road. Last year, I had to hold little Squiresy's hand to cross the road. And just last week I had to change Mynorli's diaper. I really deserve a raise if I'm being honest. But in seriousness, it has been great hanging with Frank. He's always asking questions, picking my brain for advice on pitching and closing out games. I know he's not as young as most of the guys but since he's been out of the league for so long, he feels and acts like a rookie in the clubhouse."

Renato's leadership has helped all the rookies and Frank Wilson. Wilson has saved 15 of his 16 save opportunities this season to lead the Frick League in saves. But despite being healthy, Renato has appeared in just 2 of Portland's first 37 games this season himself. He's thrown only 2.1 innings but hasn't allowed a run and only surrendered 1 hit while striking out 1. The chances of him catching Brendan Meyer for 2nd on the all-time saves list seems unlikely.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50