Hold My Log - 54.11 - Sparks Becomes Portland First

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 54.11 - Sparks Becomes Portland First

Post by 7teen » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:40 am

Last Friday night in the Lumberjacks' 3-0 win over the Sluggers, Portland starting pitcher Ken Sparks did something that no one has done in the franchise's 15 year history to this point. The 28 year old, former first round pick of the Lumberjacks, became the first pitcher to notch his 100th career victory with the Portland franchise.

"It's certainly an honor to be able to say I'm the first to reach 100 wins with this organization" said Sparks after the game. Sparks pitched 8 innings of shutout baseball in the game, scattering just 3 hits and walking a batter while striking out 6. "I and this team have had a lot of success over recent years and this is just a by product of that team success. Now I just need to figure out how to extend my career long enough to reach 200."

The win on this night did not come easy. Despite pitching 8 scoreless innings, the game entered the bottom half of the 8th knotted at 0-0. That was until Pedro Guzman his a 3-run homerun with 2 outs in the 8th to provide the winning margin. "I owe Pedro a steak dinner I believe" laughed Sparks when asked how grateful he was to Guzman for hitting the homerun. "I didn't want this milestone to keep lingering over me."

Sparks had two previous starts this season to try and notch his 100th win. He was shellacked in his season opener against Long Beach and then watched his team win in extra innings in his previous start.

The former 2nd overall pick in the 2046 draft has had success all throughout his career. He's won double digit games in each of his previous 7 seasons. There are some concerns within the organization that Sparks is beginning to show signs of wear on his right arm as his performance last season was the worst of his career, despite still notching 10 wins.

"We know he's only 28, but he's been in the league for a long time" commented team GM Chris Wilson. "We're committed to Ken throughout the duration of his contract which expires in 2057. Our hope is to continue to field an offense and defense behind him that'll allow him to continue wracking up wins in the league."

Steve Warren and Chris Thompson could and should join Sparks on the 100 win list for the franchise sometime in 2055.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50