Hold My Log - 50.34 - Portland Claims First Pacific Crown

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Hold My Log - 50.34 - Portland Claims First Pacific Crown

Post by 7teen » Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am

With the Lumberjacks' 2-1 win in 14 innings over Hawaii last night, combined with the 7-5 loss by the Mad Popes to Long Beach, the Portland Lumberjacks have claimed their first ever Frick League Pacific division crown in their 11 year existence. The divisional crown, along with possessing the Frick League's best record, will give the Lumberjacks home field advantage throughout their time in the Frick League post-season.

"It was important for us to come out this season and prove our run last year wasn't a fluke" said Wilson Alomar. "Our primary goal entering this season was to return to the post-season and prove to those that doubted our run last year. I think we proved not only that last year wasn't a fluke but that we are team to contend for a title this season."

After an opening day loss to Vancouver to begin the season, the Lumberjacks ran off 9 consecutive wins and have led the Pacific Division ever since. It won't quite be a wire-to-wire run in the division, but close.

"We weren't predicted to win the division" said Pitcher Steve Warren, "but here we are. We possess the best record in the Frick and are looking to return to the Landis. We have some unfinished business from last season."

The Lumberjacks clinch the division with 4 games still remaining on the schedule against Sacramento. The Mad Popes will enter the post-season with the Frick League's second best schedule and only the 3rd BBA team with 100 wins this season. With both teams firmly possessing their position in the post-season, some wonder how the two teams will play the final series.

"We are going to play the games" said 1st year Portland manager Yves Lemoine. "By that I mean we are going to continue to compete in a smart way. With the division win, we are already guaranteed a break before the DoubleDay series. Guys need to continue to play. But we don't want to risk an injury. It's a double edged sword really. We do have some guys that need a break and will get one. But they'll also play a game or two in the series. Ken Sparks is scheduled to start game 3 of this series, but we will skip him and rest him for the post-season. He'll be our game 1 starter in our opening series so we want him healthy and fresh. We also have a couple young guys we want to get a few cuts at the plate. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to play the series."

The rest of the 2050 playoff field is still up for grabs. Porltand will face the winner of a Geoghegan Series between two wild card teams. It appears Portland will take on a Heartland team in the Doubleday series, depending on how that divisional race finishes. It will likely be Nashville, Louisville, or Yellow Springs most likely. All 3 teams saw their season end in 2049 at the hands of the Lumberjacks. I'm sure those teams will exact their revenge on Portland in 2050. :coffee:
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Hold My Log - 50.34 - Portland Claims First Pacific Crown

Post by tylertoo » Wed May 04, 2022 1:10 pm

Congrats!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Hold My Log - 50.34 - Portland Claims First Pacific Crown

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed May 04, 2022 9:23 pm

Raise that flag!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portland Lumberjacks”