C-Notes 2049.06 - Cougars Add to the Den

GM: Nathan Garrison

Moderator: Krathan

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

C-Notes 2049.06 - Cougars Add to the Den

Post by GoldenOne » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:15 pm

In a surprising move, the Charlotte Cougars have added three players in the waning days of Spring Training/first week of the season.

On March 22nd, the Cougars added a familiar face. 3B Rafael 'Big Time' Gutiérrez was brought in on a 1-year, $2.15M contract. Gutierrez played the previous 4.5 seasons in the Charlotte pinstripes but had his $8.5M Team Option declined at the end of last season. During those 4.5 season, Gutierrez hit .319/.351/.413 and stole 111 bases. Because of his injury history, Gutierrez found the Free Agency market a little tougher this offseason and hopes signing a 1-year, earn-it contract will turn into a bigger contract next offseason. The Cougars originally planned to have 2nd-year starter Carlos Gutierrez man the hot corner this year but saw value with bringing Big Time back to split time with the younger Carlos in order to take the pressure off both players.

On April 1st, the Cougars signed OF Omer Dijkstra to a 5-year, $48M contract. Dijkstra is a masher...but really only against RHP. While he can hold his own against LHP and not be an anchor for the team, as of right now it doesnt seem like Omer will get too many chances against Southpaws. Said GM Golden, "Omer is a great player. He's versatile and can play anywhere in the OF. He can hot for power, average, and can run. He might not see too much time against lefties but luckily there arent too many of those in the Atlantic." When asked what took so long for the Cougars to sign Dijsktra, GM Golden commented, "We were close to signing him at the beginning of Spring Training but at the last minute another team jumped in and we had to dance a little more before we got our man."

And the Cougars werent done there. On April 5th, the Cougars signed another OF, this time in the form of Aires Penharanda. Penharanda is on a 2-year, $17M contract with a Team Option for the second year. Penharanda is another player that can hit for average, he has above average power, he can run (though Cougar history leads us to believe he wont have the green light too often, based on his history), he works hard, and he's a great defender and will be a plus in RF for the Cougars. When asked why he chose Charlotte, Penharanda says, "Why not? Its a great club. They've been to the playoffs the last three seasons. And, frankly, they were the only serious club that came and talked to me." When asked to comment on why its only a 2-year contract, and could possibly be a 1-year, Penharanda commented, "Look, I put up some really good numbers in Seattle. Great numbers. In SEATTLE. Imagine what kind of numbers I can put up with the guys that Charlotte has around me. I dont even care where I hit in the lineup - there isnt anyone on this team I wouldnt be happy hitting behind or in front of me. Let's Go Cougars!"
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Return to “Charlotte Flyers”