The Tyranny of UMEBA Expansion

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

The Tyranny of UMEBA Expansion

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:34 am

OK, you are tired of hearing about it.
I’m tired of talking about it.
But I constructed this table mainly for my own edification.
It considers all roster and IL players at their listed position.
I’ll share it here. I won’t mention it again.

I wasn’t here for the expansion process, but it is quite obvious that the existing teams, after a couple of talent loaded amateur drafts, did not have to give up much if any valuable potential talent, current or future.

Essentially it shows the two expansion teams combined have less players of potential quality than any single pre-expansion team.

Cairo and Riyadh have few if any bargaining chips to go after talent via trade from other teams.
And free agent market players with potential 55 or greater, even if they are willing to consider UMEBA teams, usually demand expensive contracts that significantly overpay them. (e.g., Diesel Dave at $12 million/year)
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: The Tyranny of UMEBA Expansion

Post by Fat Nige » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:41 am

The expansions for UMEBA were basically done by Matt “unretiring” former BBA players who have retired recently and by adding a few unwanted free agents, there was no expansion draft or any choice to be made by the GM’s. They were just handed the team as was and had to complete their organization as best as they could from the FA pool
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:54 am

Fat Nige wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:41 am
The expansions for UMEBA were basically done by Matt “unretiring” former BBA players who have retired recently and by adding a few unwanted free agents, there was no expansion draft or any choice to be made by the GM’s. They were just handed the team as was and had to complete their organization as best as they could from the FA pool
Ah.
Didn't know that.
All I can say is that it hasn't worked out well.
An example of the "Best laid plans of . . . " proverb.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

allenciox
Ex-GM

Post by allenciox » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Yikes! That's tough.... particularly when the most active UMEBA manager has so much work to do...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Chatter”