2045 UMEBA draft sleeper review

chicoruiz
BBA GM

2045 UMEBA draft sleeper review

Post by chicoruiz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:26 am

There’s kind of a “morning after” feeling to the day after the UMEBA draft this year. Like probably many other GMS, I went to bed very happy, knowing that I got a bunch of good players. Then, this morning, reality set in: realizing that every other GM also got a bunch of good players, and I probably gained little or no ground on them.

Last year I did kind of a half-assed draft analysis; this year’s will be even more so (quarter-assed???). I decided to just focus on one draftee from each team that I really wanted and didn’t get. My sleepers, if you will…

ATHENS- Sosa Seki has a fun name to pronounce, but he’s a lot more than that; he’s got big time power and plate discipline and a good arm for 3B. Not bad for a tenth-rounder.

BAGHDAD- I wanted Ubbe Bakboord so badly my teeth hurt, but I’d taken a zillion pitchers early last year, and a pitcher in round 1 this year, so I forced myself to take position players in rounds 2 and 3, and after that it was too late; I’d lost my Ubbe forever (sob)…

BEIRUT- I might say Jamie Angwin here- there was a collective groan on Slack when he was picked- but a second-rounder isn't really a sleeper, so I’m gonna pick Andreas Herberhold. A middle infielder with speed and power in round 15? Sign me up for that. He could probably play a number of other positions too, if you were willing to put up with an arm that is just a tick below average.

BUCHAREST- I thought Dick Van Capelle was the best catcher in the draft, and he lasted till round 7. He was one of those guys for me that I thought maybe I could snag in the middle rounds, but Jim aced me out…

JERUSALEM- I think the reason Axel Williams lasted until round 16 was that he was listed as a first baseman. His numbers are kind of meh for a first baseman, but he’s got the defensive chops to play third, and thinking of him as a 3B makes you see his ratings in a new light.

MANAMA- The Pearls took corner OFs with their first two picks, which will make it a bit harder for ninth-rounder Dan Tipping to get any career traction, but he has power that will play somewhere. Maybe one of the high picks can play CF or 1B or something; give poor Dan a break!

MUMBAI- Here’s a deep sleeper for you: 17th-rounder Eddie Malkin. Listed as a starter, but he’s a two-pitch pitcher and they usually do better in the pen, in my experience. Sweet 11-rated changeup!

TRIPOLI- I wanted some relievers in the later rounds who were closer to the majors, and George Halton was my #1 target (he's already a 40). And then Tripoli stole him away from me in round 13. If he can get his control up to average he’ll be nails, because he has everything else.

I look forward to reading any more comprehensive draft thoughts that anyone might have…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

RichY
Ex-GM

Re: 2045 UMEBA draft sleeper review

Post by RichY » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:38 am

Good job and good idea for an article. I am with you on Ubbe in particular. I waited too long on him but I had him rated very highly as a bit above average innings eater with all the intangibles. On Malkin, there were more than a few guys that were "starters" but obviously relievers on this level and I was happy to get him.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

hetz23
Ex-GM

Post by hetz23 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:48 am

Great job! Just catching up to this. You're right on our OF draft, with Koka and McKinna young and viable we will plan to develop our first rounder Strolz at 1B.

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Post by chicoruiz » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Looking back at these sleeper picks, the fact that most of them performed very well in their first professional season makes me feel smart. Unfortunately, the one who performed the worst was- you guessed it- my own guy. So there’s a limit to how much I can pat myself on the back...
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Chatter”