Beirut Resigns.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Beirut Resigns.

Post by Dington » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:26 pm

allenciox wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 pm
So I have to admit, in 2043 season I kind of dropped the ball a bit on active participation for Bucharest in UMEBA. I continued to manage the team as well as I could, but I even missed the draft (thought it was going to be later, then it was over), and not putting in the time to put in posts or figure out how to get back on slack, etc. I was primarily focused on Perfect Team and figuring out optimal strategies for doing the best I could in tournaments, etc.

However, I have come to believe that the real fun is in "real" management of "fake" players, not "fake" management of "real" players as in perfect team. There is always somebody who is going to put in more time than you, and the "unrealism" is really getting to me. So I am committing to being a more active Bucharest GM this season, and hopefully in the future.

Anyway, apologies to anybody if I contributed to the unease about last season with my lack of posting, etc. And I have gotten back onto slack, too! And I have already put in two posts for the Bucharest team channel.

By the way, when does the draft start this year? I want to make sure I don't miss it.
I think most people knew you were dealing with important issues and didn't expect much participation. Glad to have you back, though.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:58 pm

allenciox wrote:
By the way, when does the draft start this year? I want to make sure I don't miss it.
Now
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:36 pm

allenciox wrote:
So I have to admit, in 2043 season I kind of dropped the ball a bit on active participation for Bucharest in UMEBA. I continued to manage the team as well as I could, but I even missed the draft (thought it was going to be later, then it was over), and not putting in the time to put in posts or figure out how to get back on slack, etc. I was primarily focused on Perfect Team and figuring out optimal strategies for doing the best I could in tournaments, etc.

However, I have come to believe that the real fun is in "real" management of "fake" players, not "fake" management of "real" players as in perfect team. There is always somebody who is going to put in more time than you, and the "unrealism" is really getting to me. So I am committing to being a more active Bucharest GM this season, and hopefully in the future.

Anyway, apologies to anybody if I contributed to the unease about last season with my lack of posting, etc. And I have gotten back onto slack, too! And I have already put in two posts for the Bucharest team channel.

Great to have you "back"...more importantly, hope you are healthy!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:41 am

allenciox wrote:
Even as a kid, when I was playing all the games with "real" players--which I loved--I knew I wanted to be able to do more. That "realism" on the field was kind of fake, but the ability to make trades, and move players around, and whatnot, was more interesting than actually rolling the dice. So much of the events on the field were fueled in my imagination that the use of real players almost got in the way.

So, yeah, this online GM simulation is much more fun and interesting to me anymore, because the moves are so much more baseball-like (with the caveat that the game has to simplify things even there). The act of player evaluation and building a team in a resource constrained world is the core of what it means to manage a team.
Anyway, apologies to anybody if I contributed to the unease about last season with my lack of posting, etc.
Life gets in the way for all of us. Just have fun, and the rest will sort itself out.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Chatter”