2046:01 Scoop of the Century!

GM: Lee Scott

Moderator: LeeS

allenciox
Ex-GM

2046:01 Scoop of the Century!

Post by allenciox » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 pm

Bucharest Chronicle: Introduction for new semi-regular feature, Feb. 20, 2046

Hey, Abraham Ganz here, the sports writer for the Bucharest Chronicle (previously, the Bucharest Times). I wanted to let you know that I will be doing a new semi-regular feature in the sports section called "Impale U,ME,BAseball". This is the first posting of this new feature.

And, boy, do we have a doozy for you today, boys and girls. An anonymous source in the Bucharest Front Office leaked the letter the owner, Naim Diya al Din, sent to the GM, Jim Cox, at the end of last season. Some excerpts below, but the whole thing can be read here: PM from Owner Naim Diya al Din: Review of Season Goals:

The first notable thing was what he said about the Team Record:

"The Bucharest Chronicle had a pretty scathing article about the team's performance this year. I know it's hard to point to one problem to explain why the season went south. But we need to make some upgrades. No more excuses."

What is he talking about here? I really cannot imagine. The only thing I can possibly think about is when I wrote that, with a regular season record of 109-53 (best season by any team in UMEBA history), it was a shame that Bucharest didn't bring the same tenacity to the offseason, losing 4-1 in the first round to Mumbai.

But seriously? GM Cox has had the head job at Bucharest for the last seven seasons. Every one of those seasons they have gone to the playoffs (sure, they won it all just once), and Cox has a record of 674-461 (almost .600 pct) over that time. Now, let's take a look at something else. Who do you think the lowest paid staff member is on the Impalers? Surprise.... it's Jim Cox, who makes just $60,000 a year. That is just 1/20th of what John Day, the manager, makes, and is less than half what the second lowest paid staff member (Hitting Coach Jesus Rodriguez, $145k) makes.

Later in the letter, al Din says:

"I am undecided with your performance in accomplishing the goals I have given you. I feel similarly about your handling of the team's on-field and front office management."

Well, I am not undecided about how I feel about GM Jim Cox. I cannot imagine anyone I would rather have as a GM for the Impalers. .

Now, here's the kicker. Even though Bucharest increased its revenue year over year last year, by about $8 million, the owner has cut its budget, from $95 million in 2045 to $89 million this year. I am not undecided about how I feel about the money-grabbing owner, who obviously does not care a whit about this franchise: and other members at the paper here feel similarly. al Din: You need to sell the team. No excuses.

To that end, we are starting a petition to get al Din to sell the team. And I am asking, that until he does, everybody stand and boo al Din at any Impaler games he attends. We need to tell him.... "You are out of here!"

Return to “Sao Paulo Pilots”